Sponsored

Canadian delivery timeframe

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
With service center locations a seemingly a factor for delivery times, and understanding US customers are usually prioritized when (if, for the optimists) manufacturers have supply issues… I ask my fellow Canadian customers - When do you expect contact and delivery?

Personally, I am no longer giving much weight to the Deliveries for Canada will begin in November 2021 for Launch Edition vehicles. Deliveries for Adventure and Explore equipment packages will begin in January 2022. Still on the website as of today.

I have an early feb 2019 order for an LE R1S in launch green – regardless of my seemingly early spot in the cue, I am now expecting to be contacted in November to be told it will be delivered in 2022. Thoughts?
Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I am not a LE pre-order holder, and only ordered January of this year, optimistically I am not expecting anything before summer of 2022.

I am OK with it, gives me more time to wait and see how these vehicles fare and not be a beta tester, and hopefully will have more of a presence in Canada.

Also, there would be more BEV competition in the market, to see where Rivian stands.

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
My preorder number is extremely low from Nov 27th, 2018.

I reached out to them via the online chat and after much questioning was assured a delivery prior to 2022. I have not been contacted by a guide....but foresee that not happening until late Oct.

Super pumped. :)

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
With service center locations a seemingly a factor for delivery times
This is true now, but I don’t see much of a reason it needs to remain a factor after this year. The first few dozen deliveries it makes perfect sense, but beyond that, they can’t keep waiting for service centers to come up, it’s not sustainable.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
This is true now, but I don’t see much of a reason it needs to remain a factor after this year. The first few dozen deliveries it makes perfect sense, but beyond that, they can’t keep waiting for service centers to come up, it’s not sustainable.
Rivian has never stated Service Centers are a factor in deliveries. That is another assumption on this forum that has become a "fact" by virtue of repetition in multiple threads. They have stated the service availability is a key, but that has somehow morphed into no deliveries in an area until a service center is opened nearby.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Rivian has never stated Service Centers are a factor in deliveries. That is another assumption on this forum that has become a "fact" by virtue of repetition in multiple threads. They have stated the service availability is a key, but that has somehow morphed into no deliveries in an area until a service center is opened nearby.
While you are technically correct, they have stated that your service availability is tied to a service center, ipso facto, service center proximity is a factor in delivery timing.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
While you are technically correct, they have stated that your service availability is tied to a service center, ipso facto, service center proximity is a factor in delivery timing.
Haven't seen that. Got a link?

This is what the current Service FAQ states
Rivian R1T R1S Canadian delivery timeframe 1625017838030

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That was from my conversation with my Guide.
Makes perfect sense that the first deliveries will be near a Service Center. But this topic was specific to Canadian deliveries that start much later. Pretty sure that not making deliveries in a market without a Service Center is going to be the long term plan (in both the US and Canada).

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Makes perfect sense that the first deliveries will be near a Service Center. But this topic was specific to Canadian deliveries that start much later. Pretty sure that not making deliveries in a market without a Service Center is going to be the long term plan (in both the US and Canada).
I just now noticed the thread was Canadian!

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
As much as I am stoked about Rivian and getting their vehicle, I am not sure if I would want to buy a vehicle who does not have a proper service centre in a 1 hour radius.

The mobile repair centre would work for a lot of issues, i.e. faulty head light, door handle, drive control units, cables, but I don't see how it can handle large issues related to the drive unit (motors, transmission) and battery, which I would expect a first generation product to have many of.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
but I don't see how it can handle large issues related to the drive unit (motors, transmission) and battery, which I would expect a first generation product to have many of.
Huh?
Why would one expect Rivian be the first EV maker to be plagued by "many" issues in the motors, transmissions, batteries? They have done more extensive testing than most manufacturers before release and the technology is proven.
"Occasional" would be a much better descriptor than "many".
As long as they are willing to do the vehicle swap as indicated if they need to take it to a Service Center I would be comfortable.
Our fleet of Mobile Service vans — staffed with Rivian Technicians — can perform the majority of service needs right at your home or work, even if you're not there. If more extensive care is required, we will pick up your vehicle, bring it to a Rivian Service Center and return it to you, all with a flexible loaner program.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
They have done more extensive testing than most manufacturers before release and the technology is proven.
What do you mean by proven technology and extensive testing ?

Are you referring to the short PR and marketing videos they have posted on their website and social media platforms 'doing testing'. Because as far as I know they have yet to deliver a single vehicle to a paid customer or any external reviewers for long terms reviews to actually know about their reliability or what there technology actually is.

Rivian and it's technology is just marketing and a bunch of words on a website right now, nothing is proven !

"Occasional" would be a much better descriptor than "many".
Unless they manufacture every single component and complete every level of assembly in house, and even if not they need to have a zero tolerance manufacturing requirement to ensure 'occasional' failures, which will never be the case, especially during the initial production cycle. Every single BEV has gone through this. So I don't espect Rivian to be an outlier.

I am hoping I am proven wrong here !

The First Generation Model S, had a bad reputation for failing drive units which required replacement with as little as 40K KMs, (Tesla owners can correct me on this). And let's not forget the whole eMMC debacle with the V1 MCUs.

Polestar 2 had a massive recall in the first few months for cars losing power, that they all had to be brought into a service centre for a simple 'software upgrade'.

The eTron Launch Edition had a whole bunch of issues with charging, software bugs and MMI related issues in typical first edition Audi style.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
From the IPO prospectus:

"We expect to complete all CMVSS confirmatory testing and provide an application for certification to Transport Canada by February 2022."

Guess you can rule out any deliveries before then.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Automobile Manufacturer Regulation in Canada
Our vehicles intended for sale in the Canadian market are subject to environmental and safety certifications administered by the appropriate Canadian regulatory authorities, including, but not limited

Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (“CMVSS”) administered by Transport Canada. The vast majority of CMVSS are identical or substantially similar to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (“FMVSS”) in the United States, which Rivian R1T vehicles meet as of September 2021. Certain of the differences between CMVSS and FMVSS that are applicable to our vehicles include telltales, speedometer units of measure, certain labels, immobolizer requirements for anti-theft, and pass-by noise standards. Prior to distributing any of our vehicles in Canada, Rivian will ensure that such vehicles are modified to conform with CMVSS. We expect to complete all CMVSS confirmatory testing and provide an application for certification to Transport Canada by February 2022.

How are all the LE Pre-order holders feeling about this one ?

As a non-LE pre-order holder this down right sucks !
All the Canadian delivery information Rivian has been providing this far has been misleading. I had hoped they would be working on getting Canadian approvals with the US ones.

If they have no plans to obtain Canadian approvals till end of February 2022, then that means they will not start LE deliveries until then and not sure how much longer for every one else.

Not to mention, where are they planning on manufacturing the Canadian vehicles ? Are they also coming from Normal or are they planning on having an manufacturing/assembly plant in BC ?

I am glad my plans for a new vehicle is not till 2022 summer/fall. Will have to wait and see if Rivian will be able to ramp Canadian productions by then.
Sponsored