Sponsored

Canoo has $1 billion in “orders” but only $33.8 million in cash

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I do, been doing it for a long time. I prefer a ranger or similar little UTV that can be refueled with a jerry can in five minutes and not require more equipment to be purchased and supplied to the military to facilitate charging.
Rivian R1T R1S Canoo has $1 billion in “orders” but only $33.8 million in cash IMG_20221201_172701

Who's using jerry cans on most bases? I'm not talking "field" uses, which usually have generators anyway. I mean established bases, both CONUS and OCONUS.

As a Supply Chief, I can tell you electrifying the GV fleet is going to make EVERYONE'S life easier. It's more paperwork and effort to refill a Ranger than plug in a cart. We already have plenty of infrastructure to plug-in, it's really not hard to wire in a charger either. Yes, you need more plugs, but that's the easy part. Hard part is teaching resistant members to plug the damn things in. I experienced this firsthand in 5th Fleet switching from those damn Rangers to GEMs. Fuel chits? No thank you, just plug it in next to the shoretie.
Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’ll give it to them - they are scrappy. They keep finding ways to stay in the news and keep the dream alive!

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
IMG_20221201_172701.gif

Who's using jerry cans on most bases? I'm not talking "field" uses, which usually have generators anyway. I mean established bases, both CONUS and OCONUS.

As a Supply Chief, I can tell you electrifying the GV fleet is going to make EVERYONE'S life easier. It's more paperwork and effort to refill a Ranger than plug in a cart. We already have plenty of infrastructure to plug-in, it's really not hard to wire in a charger either. Yes, you need more plugs, but that's the easy part. Hard part is teaching resistant members to plug the damn things in. I experienced this firsthand in 5th Fleet switching from those damn Rangers to GEMs. Fuel chits? No thank you, just plug it in next to the shoretie.
In aviation we actually fill ours with jerry cans frequently, in the field or not. Often easier to fill a stack of cans than get the fuelers to bring a truck out or we drain a can out of an aircraft. In the field we don’t have anywhere near the generator capacity to keep an EV charging at a decent rate. At the hangar I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to develop a power station that plugs into the aircraft hangar power source to allow for charging.

Main point is thought at these LTVs are large for general purpose, too small/short range for heavier work and not feasible for field use. In my experience as a previous ground scout and now as a maintenance test pilot these wouldn’t fill a role that isn’t already served by a better vehicle.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I'm really rooting for Canoo. I like the modularity of their platform, and think it makes both a great people carrier (mini van etc) and little truck. It would be perfect for a little landscaping company etc

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for sharing that! For anyone interested in Canoo that is a must watch.

Some notable things from the video for those who can’t watch Sandy’s videos:
  • Sandy was very impressed overall! He kept joking with his camera operator about how he couldn’t find things to complain about as they had asked him to do.
  • Sandy said he “loves” the Tesla style Yoke steering wheel, which is also in the Canoo. He said he ordered a Cybertruck and wants his with the yoke steering wheel.
  • Sandy loved it, but I really hate the rear seating in the “minivan” configured version. It has 2 side facing jump seats, and even rear facing seats attached to the back of the front seats, that look unfit for any trip longer than 5 minutes. Even the rear forward facing seats look horrible to me.
  • Once inside the factory they briefly looked at a delivery van configured version, with a neat sliding shelf system in the back.
  • At around the 30 min mark they spend time looking at a military spec flatbed pickup version. It was Kevlar wrapped so it was dent proof (and bulletproof according to Tony). Also has a gear tunnel with steps and a full 8’ flat bed. This was the best part IMHO.
Now that I watched 42 minutes of Sandy I need to make more coffee.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
It was a good video, and like him or not, if Munro is getting involved on a consulting basis (it is an if, but I wouldn't' be surprised after this), it can only be a good thing. It's clear these were still hand-built samples, nothing quite fitted perfectly, Sandy had an issue opening the door at one point, and Tony had issues closing the door on the milspec version, but, the overall design is incredibly practical.

Tony's something of a magician (the dark arts variety) when it comes to funding and finding money, although I still think his plan is to get into their outsourced production model and sell long before any real factory is built.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It was a good video, and like him or not, if Munro is getting involved on a consulting basis (it is an if, but I wouldn't' be surprised after this), it can only be a good thing. It's clear these were still hand-built samples, nothing quite fitted perfectly, Sandy had an issue opening the door at one point, and Tony had issues closing the door on the milspec version, but, the overall design is incredibly practical.

Tony's something of a magician (the dark arts variety) when it comes to funding and finding money, although I still think his plan is to get into their outsourced production model and sell long before any real factory is built.
I think you’re probably right about that. Tony is more salesman than anything else, but sometimes it takes a little PT Barnum to get others to buy into your ideas. I think there is definitely a place for vehicles like they are trying to make So I’m really pulling for them.

They were very careful when recording in the factory to not show exactly how small it is. As you said, they are still making every vehicle by hand in that space they have now. They aren’t even close to having the kind of money to get a full factory set up. They will either have to do what Fisker is doing or sell like you suggested.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Other sources suggest their “factory” is Rouch Industries.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Other sources suggest their “factory” is Rouch Industries.
There was a Roush van at the loading docks at one point in the video….
:movember:

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation