Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hey All. Looking for thoughts ideas on mounting a canopy to the R1T bed. I know there have been multiple discussions on mounting a cab height bed rack and some of those strategies might be applicable but looking for help from the hive mind and to formulate a good strategy.

So looking into the structure of the bed sides I am seeing. On top is the plastic cover. You have the cross bar attachment points that go through the tonneau track assembly and then into the structure of the truck. Then there is the tonneau track assembly that appears to be made of some kind of aluminum alloy, appears to be 1/16ā€ thick. The C channel that the tonneau runs in is tubular and attaches on the top at least in 5 places (2 each where the cross bars attach and at least one more in the center. Below the C channel the aluminum continues down into the bed about 4ā€ and then there is the 3 screws that go through that where the bed side plastic material attaches, based on the length of the screws I donā€™t think it attaches to the frame here but didnā€™t take it apart enough to see.

So thoughts:

1. I have seen some reports of people adding L/S track to the three attachment points on the side, I could potentially do this and then clamp to that rail but with the size/length of those screws I am not real confident that would be sufficient.
2. Attach directly to the cross bar mounting points or the area where those mount to the vehicle
3. Clamp directly to the tonneau track. Seems the easiest and I believe the assemble itself is easily attached well enough to the truck but is tubular aluminum (1/16ā€) thick enough to hold.

Here are the photos I took while I had it apart.

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? 3E37C3A5-95E6-4A26-8FDA-EED578C95466

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? C2EC009A-4FBC-4D24-B2E8-00BC9C19B1CF

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? 21310F48-ED2A-4DD4-B103-423260BFAD3B

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? F28AF0D3-8CE3-449A-82E3-D4360D22B91F

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? E70FD79F-2221-488D-A458-1FFB113316B0

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? FD87FC3A-241A-4A01-BA67-C2367EBF066C
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I like the quickness of the Rivian crossbars, but this last time I tried to take the bars off with my awning and tent still attached, one of the crossbars wouldn't release the latch until I unbolted everything from it, so I didn't end up gaining anything that time. I'm guessing something shifted slightly after a few months of use. I'm also considering fully replacing the crossbar mounts, but it would be pretty involved. I'd probably make something that looks like a struct tower brace.

Thanks for the photos of the bed mounting points, I haven't actually seen them before like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I like the quickness of the Rivian crossbars, but this last time I tried to take the bars off with my awning and tent still attached, one of the crossbars wouldn't release the latch until I unbolted everything from it, so I didn't end up gaining anything that time. I'm guessing something shifted slightly after a few months of use. I'm also considering fully replacing the crossbar mounts, but it would be pretty involved. I'd probably make something that looks like a struct tower brace.

Thanks for the photos of the bed mounting points, I haven't actually seen them before like this.
No problem on the photos. I wanted to take it further apart but couldn't figure out how to remove the side panel on the bed completely.

One way or the other I will figure out how to mount the canopy, already paid for it but I have some time before they finish building it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is how I've got mine attached to the crossbars. It worked okay but the outside bolt is too close to the edge of the bar and is causing the crossbar to deform slightly there. I'm planning on redoing it with a solid bottom plate so the forces will be more evenly distributed instead of relying on the t-track in the crossbar (if I continue using the crossbars)
Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? 1668115167316

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Are there more of these? Iā€™m no engineer but the only spots I see that I would trust are these or the bolts holding the cross bar anchor points down.

Rivian R1T R1S Canopy Mounting Strategy for the R1T? 1668115244653

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Are there more of these? Iā€™m no engineer but the only spots I see that I would trust are these or the bolts holding the cross bar anchor points down.

1668115244653.jpeg
Yeah I think that is the only one of those. So yeah you could get some longer bolts and replace that and the two on each of the cross bar attachments.

I am still thinking you could probably clamp directly to the track for the tonneau cover since those 5 bolts go through that whole assembly, I am just not sure about the tensile strength of the C channel specifically, seems robust but I am not that kind of engineer.

kemxns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
This is how I've got mine attached to the crossbars. It worked okay but the outside bolt is too close to the edge of the bar and is causing the crossbar to deform slightly there. I'm planning on redoing it with a solid bottom plate so the forces will be more evenly distributed instead of relying on the t-track in the crossbar (if I continue using the crossbars)
1668115167316.png
I stumbled here while looking for specs/bolts to fab my own mount to the cross bars (for a roof cargo rack). Any chance you have some protips offhand? Best case I'm looking for Home Depot (or similar) availability.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
@jjswan33 more details on the canopy you are having built.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer