Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Just wrote to my guide and he shot me down.

Screenshot_20230207_143228_Messages.png

What a missed opportunity. When are they going to learn. I bet AA support will boost them significantly in terms of desirability and sales.
All that shows is that the new Comms Director still hasnā€™t gotten around to editing the CS/Guideā€™s common google docā€¦
Thatā€™s exactly the same text from a year ago!

As a side note, this popular thread is one of three (3!!!) currently running like a wildfire about AA/CP.

Anyone listening yet?

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
Here's what I don't get. Adding CarPlay is adding 1 integration / app. Then they would have:
  • Apple Maps
  • Google maps
  • Waze
  • HereWeGo
  • Sirius XM
  • Apple Music
  • Easy Siri integration
  • Literally any other CarPlay compatible app
  • Somebody else responsible for app updates, bug fixes, troubleshooting, etc. for all of the above apps...
  • Lossless audio (assuming a wired CarPlay connection) of owned and streamed music
    • My library is ~1054 albums and ~150 GB and it's not even that big compared with some.
    • Why should I pay Tidal to stream music I already own, resort to < CD quality sound (hello 1990...), or be tied to having an internet connection in a truck designed to go places without internet...
  • An interface their owners likely have already been using across multiple cars for the last decade or so and grown accustomed to.
    • I have had CarPlay in every single rental car I've driven other than 1 Tesla in the last 5 years and that's been a lot of (often crappy) cars.

This is probably my biggest disappointment with my ordered R1T- significantly more so than loss of the power tonneau and quad motor max pack. If I was shopping for a R1S at their current prices, it might even be enough to push me into a Polestar 3, Volvo EX90, Lotus Eletre, or even a Durango Hellcat.... They're definitely not direct competitors, but I've always cross shopped a pretty wide range of vehicles and chosen whatever I thought was best for me.

Last edited:

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
All that shows is that the new Comms Director still hasnā€™t gotten around to editing the CS/Guideā€™s common google docā€¦
Thatā€™s exactly the same text from a year ago!

As a side note, this popular thread is one of three (3!!!) currently running like a wildfire about AA/CP.

Anyone listening yet?
Maybe chat reps have been replaced by ChatGPT?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Sponsored

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
ChatGPT: Write an email to Rivian CEO explaining the benefits to adding Apple CarPlay to Rivian R1T

Response:
Subject: Request to Add Apple CarPlay to Rivian R1T

Dear [Rivian CEO's Name],

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to express my excitement about the Rivian R1T electric pickup truck and to request that you consider adding Apple CarPlay to the vehicle.

As an avid tech enthusiast and a fan of the Rivian brand, I believe that the integration of Apple CarPlay into the R1T would bring numerous benefits to both you and your customers. Here are a few key points:

1. Increased Convenience: Apple CarPlay allows drivers to use their iPhone on the go, making it easy to access important features such as maps, music, and messages. This will provide a seamless experience for drivers who rely on their iPhones for daily tasks.
  2. Enhanced Safety: Apple CarPlay has a user-friendly interface that minimizes distractions while driving. This will promote a safer driving experience, as drivers will not need to take their eyes off the road to access important information.
  3. Increased User Satisfaction: A significant number of potential R1T customers are iPhone users who would appreciate the integration of Apple CarPlay. Adding this feature to the R1T would show that Rivian is committed to providing the best user experience possible, which would help increase customer satisfaction.
In conclusion, the integration of Apple CarPlay into the Rivian R1T would be a significant improvement and I believe it would have a positive impact on both the brand and its customers. Thank you for considering this request.

Best regards, [Your Name]

Maybe we just all need to have ChatGPT do an email campaign šŸ˜‚

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
BMW has supported CarPlay navigation in the HUD for years now. iDrive 8 already supports showing maps in the gauge cluster. It currently only supports Apple Maps, but it does work well.
Even iDrive7 supports maps in the HUD and gauge cluster... At least it does for Android Auto. I don't have experience with Carplay.

I have a 2023 BMW with the most current version of iDrive7. I could potentially take delivery of my R1S this summer, but the UI and software in the Rivian would be a huge downgrade.

In fact, my BMW seems to have a ton of features the R1S doesn't.

Maybe they'll announce Android Auto and not CarPlay... I'd laugh, and laugh... ;)
It wouldn't be that surprising. There are more Android users than iPhone users.

deathernater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap Granite FE Interior
They have this job posting, so it could be true.
Screenshot_20230208_065608_Chrome.jpg
Nice find but isn't their system a flavor of Android? It could just be referring to that.

I struggle to understand that they're downsizing bc of the economy and increased competition in the EV space both from Tesla price cuts and traditional manufacturers.

Offering AA/CP would be a huge differentiator for them as one of the first and only EV exclusive manufacturer to offer this and would help them greatly.

It baffles me how the execs don't see this and still are drinking the coolaid that their integrated infotainment is somehow better.

They barely have call and text integration working at all... I am literally using Google Assistant over voice while I am driving to call bc their phone screen is not user friendly especially when driving.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It wouldn't be that surprising. There are more Android users than iPhone users.
Worldwide yes, in the US, no. Apple recently captured 50% of the US market share. Also, there is an income skew on iPhone ownership, so I have to wonder if there is an even higher % of iPhone ownership in RIvian's potential and current owners?

"For the first time ever, there are more iPhones in use in the US than any other type of smartphone. Citing data from analytics firm Counterpoint Research, the Financial Times reports the iPhone overtook the entire Android ecosystem in June to claim 50 percent of US market share."

avigneault

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
...if there is an even higher % of iPhone ownership in RIvian's potential and current owners?
Pretty likely. Also a great argument for aggressively perusing Apple on all their antitrust violations and breaking them up to improve competition.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Worldwide yes, in the US, no. Apple recently captured 50% of the US market share. Also, there is an income skew on iPhone ownership, so I have to wonder if there is an even higher % of iPhone ownership in RIvian's potential and current owners?

"For the first time ever, there are more iPhones in use in the US than any other type of smartphone. Citing data from analytics firm Counterpoint Research, the Financial Times reports the iPhone overtook the entire Android ecosystem in June to claim 50 percent of US market share."
More people on these forums/ reddit seem to talk about carplay over AA...
Sponsored