Sponsored

Charging a Rivian from various outlets (tried 120v through the 14-50 mobile charger too)

JamesTiberius

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024
Clubs

Just to confirm, you are not trying to pull 32 amps through two 120v outlets, right? That is double (or more) what should be used or you will be flipping breakers or causing more mayhem.
Both 120V outlets I used are 30 amp breakers, the surge protector would kick in if voltage is out of range before tripping panel breakers
Sponsored

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Both 120V outlets I used are 30 amp breakers, the surge protector would kick in if voltage is out of range before tripping panel breakers
But those are 15 amp plugs. You'll melt those if you exceed 20 amps. It does not matter what breaker those outlets are connected to as the weak point is a 15 amp connection.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

So you have 5-15 outlets that are wired on 30A circuits? Did you modify something to make that happen? If so, you need to verify that both circuits are wired with #10 or better wire. In any case the breakers will trip at 32A after a while; hopefully before the 5-15s have a meltdown.

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
So you have 5-15 outlets that are wired on 30A circuits? Did you modify something to make that happen? If so, you need to verify that both circuits are wired with #10 or better wire. In any case the breakers will trip at 32A after a while; hopefully before the 5-15s have a meltdown.
The really dangerous situation is that the 5-15s will melt (or possibly catch fire) without a breaker tripping first.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes in a normal scenario the outlets would be fine as devices that draw more than 15A don't come with a 5-15 plug. I don't think nec allows more than a 20A branch breaker for 15A outlets but the breaker is there primarily to protect wiring. In this diabolical setup, all bets are off.

Sponsored

JamesTiberius

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024
Clubs

This is not the “ideal” charger this is more for an “emergency”. The Shockflo unit allows you to lower the Amps all the way down to 10 I believe so in an “emergency” will provide a faster charge than the Rivian 120V connection. Just figured I would share. We all spent a lot of money on our vehicle to have it melt because of charging it unsafely. I definitely should have stated this is an “emergency” type of charge. Sorry guys for the misunderstanding!!

JamesTiberius

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024
Clubs

I stand corrected. Just looked at the Shockflo unit I have and it allows you to charge at the following AMPS…Configurable maximum current outputs of 16, 20, 24, 32, and 40 amps.

my thought (untested) is that with the configuration I described and charging at 16 Amps all should be good (Again for emergency type of situations). I by no means am an electrician but with my basic understanding the standard wiring should not melt at that Amperage. Thoughts??

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I stand corrected. Just looked at the Shockflo unit I have and it allows you to charge at the following AMPS…Configurable maximum current outputs of 16, 20, 24, 32, and 40 amps.

my thought (untested) is that with the configuration I described and charging at 16 Amps all should be good (Again for emergency type of situations). I by no means am an electrician but with my basic understanding the standard wiring should not melt at that Amperage. Thoughts??
Only on 20 amp 120v circuits. Those are usually in garages, bathrooms and kitchens under current code. Continuous draw should be 80% of circuit so 16amp max

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ok you just scared us since it was saying 32a. Definitely the 110v rivian adapter isn't very useful but doesn't require thinking about adjusting the car before plugging in.

I'd rather stack my tt30 to a 5-15 adapter I use for my trailer and get 16a instead of 12a. Garage outlets are 20a. If you manage to grab two 20a 110v circuits with your combiner, you get nearly 4kwh. That's 50kw on a long overnight. You'll need two #12 extension cords to reach both split phases as they won't be a foot apart.

JamesTiberius

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024
Clubs

Thanks for the explanation. This configuration is something I will add to the frunk so that if we are traveling and power sources are limited I could possibly use this to get the 3.6kW for a little extra charge than the 120V. And I will definitely make sure to have the correct extension cords in the frunk as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Thanks for the explanation. This configuration is something I will add to the frunk so that if we are traveling and power sources are limited I could possibly use this to get the 3.6kW for a little extra charge than the 120V. And I will definitely make sure to have the correct extension cords in the frunk as well.
Yep, and 3600w will charge 3.75x faster than a normal 15 amp outlet (due to charging overhead being 600w off the top).