Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

Fortunately, my service appointment (scheduled 6-ish weeks ago) is coming up next Friday.

A couple days ago, I noticed an odd sound when I was holding steady speed, whether by pedal manipulation, or cruise control.

I have a hard time describing it, but it only happens at steady speed, and (with cabin fan off) is easy enough to hear I'm hoping the techs can detect it. It's there regardless of speed (noticed from 3mph to 60mph, although wind noise gets in the way as you go faster), although some attributes of it seem speed-influenced. My first analogy was: a chipmunk or squirrel chittering. While I accelerate or decelerate, it goes away. But, as soon as my speed is steady, it's back.

My best guess is it's coming from the passenger-side front, but it's quiet enough (so far) that I'm not positive. What I'm positive about is, that ain't a good sound.

I mentioned it to my wife, who said, "I wasn't going to say anything, but, yeah, I noticed that." If my wife noticed it, it's a real thing.

Has anyone else experienced something that this sounds like? I'd love to go into the service appointment armed with more info.

[edited to reduce typos and hopefully improve clarity]
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've felt/heard that at times....it does seem to have gone away with the new FSAM with the washers.

OP
OP
maddave12

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Any chance you can get video of it?
Next time I'm in a situation where that's possible, I will try. Not sure how well my phone mic will pick it up, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
maddave12

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Here it is - it kicks in when I kept an even speed at 6mph, and then again when I leveled out at 11mph. Sounds like a trapped pigeon or chipmunk. Sorry for the hand-held video!

Sponsored

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I would highly recommend you reproduce the sound for a technician in order to avoid the disappointment of getting the truck back untouched with a "cannot reproduce" comment.

I follow this for any "noise related" issue or issues that require certain steps to occur.

OP
OP
maddave12

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I would highly recommend you reproduce the sound for a technician in order to avoid the disappointment of getting the truck back untouched with a "cannot reproduce" comment.

I follow this for any "noise related" issue or issues that require certain steps to occur.
Yes, I plan to, assuming I can get a tech to get in the truck when I drop it off at the SC.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Here it is - it kicks in when I kept an even speed at 6mph, and then again when I leveled out at 11mph. Sounds like a trapped pigeon or chipmunk. Sorry for the hand-held video!
Interesting. Almost sounds like a cat purring. Possibly the grille shudders? But that would only happen when they open or close. It wouldn't be constant.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
Likely drivetrain play and lash from differences in power delivery between front/rear or front/front motors.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
Mine does something similar at highway speeds at neutral throttle application on long gentle downhills. Basically when very little power is being needed to maintain speed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
maddave12

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Interesting...if that's the case I wonder if switching to conserve will change things up at all?
Good thought - I will try that on my way to the SC. Might be a relevant additional piece of info.

To be clear, I could live with it as-is, but I don't think it's an intended sound, and unintended sounds have a tendency to predate failures in time.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Good thought - I will try that on my way to the SC. Might be a relevant additional piece of info.

To be clear, I could live with it as-is, but I don't think it's an intended sound, and unintended sounds have a tendency to predate failures in time.
Good call to get it checked out. Please let us know what happens. This can go into the Rivian KB 😎

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Austin SC said "Could not replicate" on my first try to get it looked at.

OP
OP
maddave12

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

The tech who rode with me at the SC recognized the sound. It's apparently a "known" sound, he says it's caused by a very slight gear size mismatch.

He says Rivian has torn apart a bunch of drive trains, and determined it's not causing excessive wear, so doesn't need addressing.

The truck's in to have its communications module fixed, which could be a day (if they only have to reset it, which I very much doubt), or a week if they need to install a new one, and apply firmware updates. The service manager was pretty sure they'd pre-ordered one to have it on hand for my appointment.

At least they provided me a nice loaner R1T.
Sponsored