Sponsored

Coming in hot, new LED Ditch Light setup - wireless control! For Rivian R1T / R1S

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Anyone know of heated LED pods or halogen pods that would work for winter backup lighting?
Any Halogen would work but JW Speaker is the only manufacturer I know of that does things like this for LEDs.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/jw-speaker/heated-led-work-lamp

JW Speaker started this by building headlamp replacements for semi trucks. They deal with this issue more than most. They eventually started adapting the tech for passenger vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler.

I’m kinda surprised more aux light manufacturers like Ridgid and Baja Designs don’t do this. The electronics for these generate plenty of heat. A heat pipe redirected to the lens would probably do that job IMO.
Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Man. I just broke down and ordered the a pillar lights. For anybody caught between what to order I will review my logic. The rivian has great lights factory, and for A pillar lights, you want a more narrow beam in general to prevent hood glare. Therefore I went with the super powered spot lights. If I am going to have light, I might as well have as much as possible. Secondly, the debate was yellow vs white. I live in a mild climate and think even in serious fog, a spot wouldn’t be ideal anyway, so I went all out with the high output white. That will probably match everything with the rivian lighting too…

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I wish the Rivian racks provided power, and then provided that power through the T-slot mounting lights on the rack. That would make for a super clean install and easy removal when not in use.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I wish the Rivian racks provided power, and then provided that power through the T-slot mounting lights on the rack. That would make for a super clean install and easy removal when not in use.
If you were thinking of the cross bars providing power, it wouldn't be free, and would reflect on the sticker price. For most of us, we don't want to pay for something that is not needed. As an option, might not be worth it for Rivian to pursue on first edition R1.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

So I ordered the HXB version in the combo version, in Amber.

On most of my vehicles, I have always had amber pod/ fog lights that were below the headlights, so they would cut through the fog better and gave more contrast to snow and rain, but I am unfamiliar with A-pillar pod lights and whether they are beneficial ABOVE the headlight beam pattern?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

So I ordered the HXB version in the combo version, in Amber.

On most of my vehicles, I have always had amber pod/ fog lights that were below the headlights, so they would cut through the fog better and gave more contrast to snow and rain, but I am unfamiliar with A-pillar pod lights and whether they are beneficial ABOVE the headlight beam pattern?

The white light tends to reflect off the particles in the air more than the yellow light which shines through it. Diff wavelength. Great for fogs or even high beams / off road lights when used in inclement weather.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
The white light tends to reflect off the particles in the air more than the yellow light which shines through it. Diff wavelength. Great for fogs or even high beams / off road lights when used in inclement weather.
We already know this ^^. The question from @Leonbmx was whether and how the pod lights are beneficial ABOVE the headlight beam pattern vs below it.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

We already know this ^^. The question from @Leonbmx was whether and how the pod lights are beneficial ABOVE the headlight beam pattern vs below it.
Ah yes. Depends on your intended usage.

For street use, you dont want to aim over the headlight beam pattern, that will blind oncoming traffic - no good. Fogs use would need to be under the headlight beams.

When offroad ONLY, you can light up the left/right peripheral (aka ditch). Or use for spotting out beyond headlights. Or as fog lights.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Ah yes. Depends on your intended usage.

For street use, you dont want to aim over the headlight beam pattern, that will blind oncoming traffic - no good. Fogs use would need to be under the headlight beams.

When offroad ONLY, you can light up the left/right peripheral (aka ditch). Or use for spotting out beyond headlights. Or as fog lights.
Thanks,

my question pertained more to the color of the light. Will an amber light be efficient as a “ditch light”, or is white better suited for that location?

I have seen a few YouTube videos now about how amber is great for fog lights, as in BELOW the headlights, but I am wondering if that benefit translates to an ABOVE the headlight scenario?

I chose amber initially for its contrast enhancing properties, so if that is still valid in a ditch light scenario, that would be perfect!

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks,

my question pertained more to the color of the light. Will an amber light be efficient as a “ditch light”, or is white better suited for that location?

I have seen a few YouTube videos now about how amber is great for fog lights, as in BELOW the headlights, but I am wondering if that benefit translates to an ABOVE the headlight scenario?

I chose amber initially for its contrast enhancing properties, so if that is still valid in a ditch light scenario, that would be perfect!
Amber will be better when their is precipitation - white will be better otherwise, as a ditch light.

Sponsored

deathernater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap Granite FE Interior
I was just watching videos on forged carbon fiber, I am now curious with advancements in 3D printing and mould making could we make the metal mounting brackets for the lights instead into forged CF, would be a nice styling and reduce the weight by a little bit.

Happy to pay a bit of a premium for that.

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Yes, about the same day the first batch was done, I was driving to work and it was raining for the first time in forever…..and I noticed the wipers were banging into the driver side bracket 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Small setback in timing. Had to revise and remake driver brackets. In production now.

Sorry gang, but glad we caught it instead of you!!!!

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
Could you make a harness to plug into the auto high beams? I know these are for "off road only" but aux lights coming on with auto high beams is amazing. also do you think we have any concerns about running the higher powered lights off of the wimpy 12v battery?

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Could you make a harness to plug into the auto high beams? I know these are for "off road only" but aux lights coming on with auto high beams is amazing. also do you think we have any concerns about running the higher powered lights off of the wimpy 12v battery?
these puppies would blind oncoming traffic - they really should not be used as headlights on road....have a look, i have them pointed toward the ditch.
Sponsored