Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Kudos for Jeep sticking with their OR heritage with the rear mounted spare, KO2’s, sliders(?), convertible doors, aggro kit, 7 slots.

As others note the charge port looks great and the aesthetic is way better than the Grand Wagoneer.

Pending details will matter but overall I’m going contrarian with many above and like this one a bit.

Rivian R1T R1S New Competition: 2024 Jeep Recon EV -- First Real Life Looks 0A8A68F3-C0ED-4238-9B60-5216342CC8EC
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Stellantis has a modular EV platform, depends on the size of the vehicle, lots of information here:

https://www.stellantis.com/en/technology/electrification

Also some informative info-graphics:

1679927427756.png

1679927438009.png

I would guess the Recon would use the "medium" platform? I'm sure the range is a max efficiency based on battery size, but the medium size shows 87-104kWh so pretty stout for that segment.
I just realized all of the range numbers are probably WLTP instead of EPA. There's no way Stellantis is going to make something on their large frame with the same size battery as the Lucid Air get 500 miles of EPA range.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
I feel some definite H2 vibes. One nice thing about Rivian and Tesla. They look good without looking overly dramatic. American cars seem to always strive for the dramatic look.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
If the price range is $45-65k it will sell very very well. if range and towing are up there with Rivian I will seriously consider one.
For comparison, the current Wrangler 4xe *starts* at 55k. The Cherokee 4xe starts at 61k.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
For comparison, the current Wrangler 4xe *starts* at 55k. The Cherokee 4xe starts at 61k.
Oh I know, the Gladiator price is on par with a brand new Tundra with I-Force Max, even though it has half the power and is much smaller. I doubt it will be in the range I mentioned, but IF they can get it down to the $45-65K price range they will undercut Rivian by a large margin, while also being aimed at the same adventure crowd.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Stellantis has a modular EV platform, depends on the size of the vehicle, lots of information here:

https://www.stellantis.com/en/technology/electrification

Also some informative info-graphics:

1679927427756.png

1679927438009.png

I would guess the Recon would use the "medium" platform? I'm sure the range is a max efficiency based on battery size, but the medium size shows 87-104kWh so pretty stout for that segment.
I agree that would be pretty good. It's also hard to tell how big it is. Could even fall into the "large" category. I guess that depends if the 1500 EV is going to be the largest.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

looks familiar, real familiar.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

This Recon actually has strong potential to be a great beach car for me in Hawaii. I’m strongly considering it. I have a second preorder for an R1S slotted for Hawaii delivery, but if I can talk my wife into switching the R1S to a mainland delivery, this Recon would become my top choice for an off-road capable EV in Hawaii.

I have a GMC Hummer SUV EV reservation as a back up for my Hawaii R1S preorder, but that thing is a monstrosity. I also think servicing a Rivian in Hawaii is going to be a giant pain in the ass for the next few years and a Jeep is currently easily serviceable in Hawaii. I currently have a Cherokee in Hawaii and it's tough little SUV. I'm a fan. It's gotten me to some very remote beaches over some really nasty lava rack. I just wish it were electric. The Recon could be a really good option for me.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I dunno technically my Mach E is serviceable locally but I might as well have a spaceship when I’ve taken it in…

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I don't know if those are just small people or if that's a large vehicle.
It looks interesting. Glad to see more coming vehicles.
Would like to see more midrange vehicles to compliment these luxury releases, though.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Looks ok from the front, but they kept too much of that awful Jeep Renegade design language that needs to die with that model as soon as possible.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

Looks a cross breed. Wrangler mixed with a Cherokee
The traditional Wrangler is a rolling brick. Clearly some changes have to be made, and it looks like the prototype here has a marginally slimmer frontal area, hence the pinched look.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
There are some really odd proportions to that thing. At first I was like... OK it's just a renegade from the front. Then you roll to the side and back and it's like a 90s Cherokee fornicated with a Defender or something.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
The traditional Wrangler is a rolling brick. Clearly some changes have to be made, and it looks like the prototype here has a marginally slimmer frontal area, hence the pinched look.
I dunno man. I loved every one of my wranglers.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

I dunno man. I loved every one of my wranglers.
I’m not bashing Wranglers. I have a 2019 Sahara in my driveway right now. I’m just telling it like it is. Wranglers are bricks in a wind tunnel. Part of getting used to an EV Wrangler-type vehicle means probably having to get used to a more aerodynamic shape and that means less frontal brick-i-tude and sleeker grill.
Sponsored