First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
All I could think about listening to this was they need to change the name to Talking Rental Cars. Really seems like they want the UI experience be the same for all cars so you can just jump in and know where everything is without taking time to get familiar with specific vehicle. Not saying Tesla or Rivian are perfect but spending a few hours with the vehicles really takes most of the complaints away about the UI functions.

Then there is the 1 pedal driving. Maybe because I cut my teeth on an older Tesla Model S with much less regen I literally was perfectly comfortable with the high regen/1 pedal driving in my R1S before I had to plug it in the first time.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

All I could think about listening to this was they need to change the name to Talking Rental Cars. Really seems like they want the UI experience be the same for all cars so you can just jump in and know where everything is without taking time to get familiar with specific vehicle. Not saying Tesla or Rivian are perfect but spending a few hours with the vehicles really takes most of the complaints away about the UI functions.

Then there is the 1 pedal driving. Maybe because I cut my teeth on an older Tesla Model S with much less regen I literally was perfectly comfortable with the high regen/1 pedal driving in my R1S before I had to plug it in the first time.
I've been saying for a while that I think the steering wheel controls should have virtual labels on the driver's display to show what they do at a glance as the functions change based upon context. It could even be a setting so you can turn off the virtual labels (expert mode?) when you don't want them. Then you could turn them on when you want, like the first time you go to tow and realize it would be handy to have on-screen reminders about how to control the trailer brakes.

I don't have more that a few minutes experience with 1 pedal driving but I was fine with it after the first traffic light on my test drive. I could see how some people might forget when distracted or after being on the highway for a while and forgetting that they can't treat it like an ICE vehicle after disengaging cruise control.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Consumer reports is the go-to reviewer if you want a cabin experience frozen in 1985, if using voice commands is "too complicated" and futuristic, if you think the Subaru Impreza is "stylish" and has "plenty of power for most people."

IOW, CR is the car review site for unsophisticated octogenarians. For tech-savvy octogenarians and everyone else, they stopped being relevant when Don Johnson was the poster boy for fast cars.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
This was the first time I watched their YT channel and likely the last! My wife and I are in our 70's and never had an EV before getting our R1T. It took both of us less than 5 minutes to get used to one-pedal driving. We switched to high regen almost immediately because regular regen felt too much like coasting.

I can't imagine these guys ever driving a stick! How are they going to deal with having to steer, use the clutch, accelerator pedal, and shift all at the same time?

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
This was the first time I watched their YT channel and likely the last! My wife and I are in our 70's and never had an EV before getting our R1T. It took both of us less than 5 minutes to get used to one-pedal driving. We switched to high regen almost immediately because regular regen felt too much like coasting.

I can't imagine these guys ever driving a stick! How are they going to deal with having to steer, use the clutch, accelerator pedal, and shift all at the same time?
Love seeing stories like this. We have a Model Y and the regen is great. Absolutely love one pedal driving with that. When we went to test drive a R1S, the regen is even more aggressive. Which I actually enjoyed. While driving the Y yesterday I was messing around with the regen breaking and turned it down and having to use the break felt so unnatural and just weird.

Can't see myself ever going back to a car that isn't capable of 1 pedal driving.
Sponsored