DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I have solar panels on my current home, and while recently I am not generating a lot of power in the winter, the way our solar works in oregon is that we accrue the power on a yearly basis(March-Feb every year). So between March and Sept, I over produce solar power and Nov-Jan, I consume more than i produce. For the year, I produce more power than I consume leading to my monthly electric bill be capped around $10/month. I agree, solar is not a panacea, but I do feel better generating renewable energy and hopefully later in the year I can use some of that to fuel my R1T;)
That's one of the beauties of living in Central Oregon, versus West of the Cascades. While it may get cold on the Eastern side of the mountains, at least you still get to see your shadow after you step outside. You might not catch it through the fog of your breath, but it's still there. I think you experience 300+ days per year of sunshine. In the Portland area, we have months where we're happy to get 300 minutes. And that's July and August! That's O.K. by me, as I need MPF30 during the week of any Full Moon.

I like the account system you're describing. If you don't mind me asking, are you with either Central or Midstate Electric Co-Ops, or Pacific Power? Also, how big of a home and how big of a solar system. Solar is still good here, but it makes so much more financial sense over there than in the Willamette Valley, or along the Oregon Coast.

If any of my questions are truly none of my business, don't hesitate to say so. Also, feel free to message me privately, for better, or worse. I seem to be discovering more Oregonians in these Forums lately, and I'm trying to build a connection with all before our Rivians arrive. Your area will be a great place for silently surprising unsuspecting wildlife in the years to come, especially those mountain bikers that smugly think they're now the alphas on all of those serene hiking trails.

Stay warm!

(Oh yeah, this is where I remind anyone missing a humor-detector that much of my message is my attempt at humor. It doesn't always work, but I always work at it. Definitions of both the word and the concept of humor are widely available. Please try Google, Funk and Wagnall, etc.)

Happy thoughts to all!
Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Yes, but if your Duramax sits in your driveway for 3 weeks or longer, when you start it up you still get 600 miles. If you let your EV sit for extended periods of time in cold weather, you won't have the same miles left due phantom battery drain. That doesn't dissuade me from buying my first EV, because I plan doing most of my charging at home from solar. My case is different, mainly due to my take home work car. I only fill up my F150 about every two months.
If your Rivian is plugged in while it’s sitting in your driveway you will top off the phantom drain and likely at WAY less than $0.31/kW though. My electricity rates are between $0.099/kW and $0.1326/kW, for example, which comes out to less than $20/300 miles.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
This almost make the case for PHEVs like Rave4 prime.
Economically, PHEV will save you the most money. But someone buying an R1 isn't in it to save $50 a month in gas.

A Rav 4 plugin or outlander phev will probably be the best bet otherwise.

Reactions: Max

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Economically, PHEV will save you the most money. But someone buying an R1 isn't in it to save $50 a month in gas.

A Rav 4 plugin or outlander phev will probably be the best bet otherwise.
Unless you pay 90k for a rav4...

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Unless you pay 90k for a rav4...
Well dealer mark ups are on a rampage now, a mitsubishi outlander would be a better choice. But a Toyota dealer wanted to buy my Van for 35K, when I said that I would still need a van, they said they'll sell me a brand new one for 63K...

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Does anyone know the cost of charging an EV at a public charging station? I have tried to research this on-line, but there does not seem to be straight answer.

Brian
For charge at an Electrify America charge at a Sheetz was 47$ and that was about an 85% charge. And we had to do that twice on a 300mi trip.
Sponsored