David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad large Canyon Red, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

I appreciate the thoughts and the news! My R1T is evidently on a slow train from Normal as I type. I remember reading about the new service center way back when and thinking how great that it would probably be up and running when my order came....oh well.

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV--so is the fact that it was dismissed due to standing of the complainant why you assume it will get challenged again at the next level? Or just that the dealer will happily keep delaying this as long as possible? CT laws that keep our the direct sellers are so awful--the dealers must donate a ton of $$ to Hartford to keep that from changing. I've talked to my state reps a few times about it and will keep doing so--hope you all will too!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I appreciate the thoughts and the news! My R1T is evidently on a slow train from Normal as I type. I remember reading about the new service center way back when and thinking how great that it would probably be up and running when my order came....oh well.

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV--so is the fact that it was dismissed due to standing of the complainant why you assume it will get challenged again at the next level? Or just that the dealer will happily keep delaying this as long as possible? CT laws that keep our the direct sellers are so awful--the dealers must donate a ton of $$ to Hartford to keep that from changing. I've talked to my state reps a few times about it and will keep doing so--hope you all will too!
What I know for certain is Rivian’s next regulatory step in the process of opening their first Connecticut service center is to obtain an auto repair business license from the DMV Commissioner. I would not be surprised if some entity with dealer interests tries to delay the service center opening if the DMV Commissioner approves Rivian’s auto repair business license.

During the City of Shelton zoning approval legal challenge that was recently dismissed, the Buick dealer argued, in part, that Rivian doing pre delivery inspections, customer new vehicle pick-up, and warranty service at the service center are part of the vehicle sales process and requires an auto dealer license, not an auto repair license. In the zoning court challenge decision, the judge noted that issue is for the DMV Commissioner to decide. It isn’t hard to imagine, if the DMV Commissioner sides with Rivian on this issue, Connecticut car dealer interests will challenge the Commissioner’s decision in court - even if the only thing it accomplishes is further delaying Rivian’s service center opening in Shelton.

Last edited:

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
During the City of Shelton zoning approval legal challenge that was recently dismissed, the Buick dealer argued, in part, that Rivian doing pre delivery inspections, customer new vehicle pick-up, and warranty service at the service center are part of the vehicle sales process and requires an auto dealer license, not an auto repair license. In the zoning court challenge decision, the judge noted that issue is for the DMV Commissioner to decide. It isn’t hard to imagine, if the DMV Commissioner sides with Rivian on this issue, Connecticut car dealer interests will challenge the Commissioner’s decision in court - even if it only delays the Rivian service center opening in Shelton.
Great summary!

Suggesting that warranty service is part of the selling process is a huge stretch.
The selling process ends with the sale.

And let's face it, the only reason this is even an issue in 2023 is that our wonderful elected state representatives love getting campaign donations from the Connecticut Dealers Association and the dealerships within their districts. Siding with Connecticut consumers (you know, the people that elected them) who overwhelmingly want these franchise rules to be abolished ... ends the gravy train.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

What a crock of crap this whole thing is. These car dealers have been raping us for over 100 years. Now they're hanging on by their teeth and grasping for straws.

The dealers claim that they have a cruddy business plan and, therefore, no one should be permitted to compete with them. If you have a bad business plan, you perish. That's just the way it is.

Brian

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Another delaying tactic wasting the court’s time - the Buick dealer has just filed a motion asking the court to reconsider its recent decision to dismiss the Buick dealer’s case challenging Rivian’s service center zoning approval by the City of Shelton Connecticut. The judge had ruled the Buick dealer did not have standing to challenge the City’s zoning approval of Rivian’s proposed service center location.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=25218046

BadKarma!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350R
Occupation
Cyber Security
Clubs

OP, thanks for tracking this situation. I too live in CT, not far from the proposed SC site. I truly hope Rivian wins this battle. However, I have heard many stories of how corrupt the Mayor of Shelton is.

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Today, counsel for Rivian filed a motion asking the judge to reject the Buick dealer’s motion asking the judge to reconsider his decision to dismiss the dealer’s case for lack of legal standing. Rivian calls the Buick dealer’s latest move just what it is: a delaying tactic.

Connecticut Rivian owners are harmed by these frivolous car dealer efforts to delay opening of Rivian’s first Connecticut Service Center. This delay is certainly contributing to long wait times to get service appointments in Brooklyn.

Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center IMG_1030

Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center IMG_1031

Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center IMG_1032

Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center IMG_1034

Last edited:

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
And Florida just signed new law ending direct sales except for Tesla….of course

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Buick dealer filed a motion asking the judge to reconsider his decision in Rivian’s favor. Today, the judge promptly denied the Buick dealer’s motion. What will be the Buick dealer’s next tactic to delay the opening of Rivian’s first Connecticut service center?

Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center IMG_1053

BadKarma!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350R
Occupation
Cyber Security
Clubs

Not being a legal expert of any kind, isn't this case now closed so Rivian can move forward?

What other recourse does D'Aaddrio have at this point?

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Not being a legal expert of any kind, isn't this case now closed so Rivian can move forward?

What other recourse does D'Aaddrio have at this point?
The zoning approval for the site to be used by Rivian for a service center by the City of Shelton is a settled matter. Next, Rivian must obtain a vehicle repair business license from the Connecticut DMV Commissioner. If granted by the commissioner, watch for dealer interests to challenge that license approval in court.
Sponsored