Sponsored

Crash concerns and insurance rates…

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Auction isnt even open yet. That 900 is just the pre-bids. It will likely reach 50-80k. This one will likely be a high price auction. NONE of the other Rivians on CoPart even power up, this one does.

All Rivian Auctions on CoPart:
https://www.copart.com/vehicleFinderSearch?searchStr={"MISC":["#MakeCode:RIVA OR #MakeDesc:Rivian","#VehicleTypeCode:VEHTYPE_V","#OdometerReading:[0 TO 9999999]","#LotYear:[2012 TO 2023]"],"sortByZip":false,"buyerEnteredZip":null,"milesAway":null} &displayStr=Rivian,[0 TO 9999999],[2012 TO 2023]&from=/dashboard/

Perfect candidate for Rich Rebuilds!
@Scottyftlaud AKA "Rivian lied to me!!!", I see some Florida titled Rivians here. You wanna poke around and see if yours is here?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Is insuring a Rivian really any different than insuring any other higher priced vehicle?

I'm no auto body expert but I can see how damages to a unibody truck cost more to fix than if I got rear ended in my Tacoma and the entire bed had to be replaced. With that as long as the frame isn't damaged they can just swap it out and paint it. Not so on a Rivian, nor will it be for the Silverado or GMC.... or the upcoming Ram which from silhouettes appears to also be unibody.

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Someone posted on Reddit the other day that Farmers insurance is, or will be shortly, classifying Rivians as an "exotic" vehicle. Now this is Reddit, so take it with as many grains of salt as you like, but if that is true then it's going to be costing a lot more to insure our vehicles in the near future.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Someone posted on Reddit the other day that Farmers insurance is, or will be shortly, classifying Rivians as an "exotic" vehicle. Now this is Reddit, so take it with as many grains of salt as you like, but if that is true then it's going to be costing a lot more to insure our vehicles in the near future.
I am currently with Farmers, will be interesting to see what kind of quote I get when the time comes.

6 figure replacement cost, 800+ hp, aluminum and composite construction, EV, etc... Rivian may end up having to offer an option to derate total output to something under 350 hp just so people can afford the insurance.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
FWIW, I just quoted adding an R1S to my USAA insurance which currently has two Model 3s (max coverages $500 deduct). The cost to add a third vehicle R1S adventure was $850 every six months. Seems like NBD to me.

Sponsored

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
At the moment, it's cheaper to insure than my old Tesla.

Luckily, for some people like myself, the Rivian is able to replace 3 vehicles. So when it inevitably goes up, it won't hurt that bad

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
FWIW, I just quoted adding an R1S to my USAA insurance which currently has two Model 3s (max coverages $500 deduct). The cost to add a third vehicle R1S adventure was $850 every six months. Seems like NBD to me.
I don't think the concern is current rates so much as future changes to those rates based on the processing of claims over time as the insurance companies learn what it is really going to cost them to provide coverage for these vehicles.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Geeze. All these totaled Rivian's with just a few thousand miles on them. And those of us with hundreds of thousands of miles of safe driving and zero accidents can't get one for love nor money... LOL. 🤷 #shrug

/rant

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Is insuring a Rivian really any different than insuring any other higher priced vehicle?

I'm no auto body expert but I can see how damages to a unibody truck cost more to fix than if I got rear ended in my Tacoma and the entire bed had to be replaced. With that as long as the frame isn't damaged they can just swap it out and paint it. Not so on a Rivian, nor will it be for the Silverado or GMC.... or the upcoming Ram which from silhouettes appears to also be unibody.
RIvian is not unibody. It's body on frame. One piece front to rear side sheet metal does not make it a unibody.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Auction isnt even open yet. That 900 is just the pre-bids. It will likely reach 50-80k. This one will likely be a high price auction. NONE of the other Rivians on CoPart even power up, this one does.

All Rivian Auctions on CoPart:
https://www.copart.com/vehicleFinderSearch?searchStr={"MISC":["#MakeCode:RIVA OR #MakeDesc:Rivian","#VehicleTypeCode:VEHTYPE_V","#OdometerReading:[0 TO 9999999]","#LotYear:[2012 TO 2023]"],"sortByZip":false,"buyerEnteredZip":null,"milesAway":null} &displayStr=Rivian,[0 TO 9999999],[2012 TO 2023]&from=/dashboard/

Perfect candidate for Rich Rebuilds!
But more importantly. Does the tonneau still work?

Rivian R1T R1S Crash concerns and insurance rates… eb1947ac315544e48e112755c04889eb_hrs

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
5 more... 1 of them is a R1S!!!!!!

https://www.iaai.com/Search?url=FzJv+3hJcHoZ72lpQmvNwAfseljSYmMahR4dN+YBDsQ=

R1S
https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetail/35735281~US

Edit: Love how it says key missing, and you can see it sitting on the center console..

On a sad note... Thats my exact spec, except wheel and LE.

Edit2: The White R1T and R1S appear to have no damage? The RivBlue one I would buy to repair. Easy, and simple fix.
Looks like the R1S is just being auctioned, does not appear to be damaged.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Looks like the R1S is just being auctioned, does not appear to be damaged.
I would normally agree... But for it to go thru IAA, Something is/has gone on with it. Maybe a test mule from Rivian (it is titled in IL), maybe a repair rejection, maybe???

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
RIvian is not unibody. It's body on frame. One piece front to rear side sheet metal does not make it a unibody.
Thank you for the correction. The point I was trying to make was it probably increases the repair costs to have it designed that way even if it has other benefits.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I would normally agree... But for it to go thru IAA, Something is/has gone on with it. Maybe a test mule from Rivian (it is titled in IL), maybe a repair rejection, maybe???
Stolen and paid out and then recovered is the usual answer... but not in this case.
Sponsored