Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I did not see the link with the Rivian test results, was that in one of these posts?

I thought the conversation was that the Tesla motor is more efficient which I believe is true as even Rivian says their new enduro motors are more efficient than the Bosch motors. But I have never found any test showing the Rivian motor efficiency results.
The two videos show the Telsa motor/DU performance, but not Rivian's/Bosch's. There may be Rivian data in one of the Sandy Munro videos, and a similar Rivian Dyno test, but as I mentioned, I didn't go looking for it as the Tesla motors leading efficiency is widely discussed. I also don't believe anyone has figured out how to access the Rivian CANBUS yet, so that's missing as well. I suspect the Enduro motors/inverters will be more efficient than the Bosch DU's in the quad set up.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Rivian is way better at producing EV pickups than Tesla, just look how many Rivian has sold so far.
No argument here... I went with the Rivian now as there isn't a Tesla offering yet... Will likely stick with the Rivian, even when there is. I really like mine and wouldn't trade it for any other truck.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I wonder which law enforcement agency will be first to add a Cybertruck to their fleet. That thing just screams Robocop to me... And I love it.
generally service vehicle purchases require known specifications and MSRP.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Always fun to see how much energy folks waste on here ragging on Tesla. In one breath, they "never actually deliver on anything" while in another breath are suddenly making Rivians more useful and valuable by opening up the one and only reliable CCS charging network in the US.

Like all things in life, Tesla is good and bad. They treat their customers terribly, lie constantly about range, features, and timelines, and undoubtedly have some of the worst build quality and quality control in the industry.

At the same time, the actual company of Tesla, made up of thousands of American engineers and workers (strangely not just Elon) is delivering the safest, most efficient, and most reliable vehicles you can buy. The things they are doing and will be able to do with fleet data are a decade ahead of anyone else and they are on track to do the same with manufacturing. They just recently rolled out vision-based pre-collision seatbelt tensioning and are currently developing and testing in the background algorithms to avoid a significant percentage of red-light-running accidents. Meanwhile, Rivian is struggling to deliver a working dash cam.

Regarding the looks of Cybertruck, I don't get why so many truck owners are so preoccupied with the looks when they're supposed to be tools. Stamped and painted exterior panels provides zero added benefit aside from aero and aesthetics. Tesla has decided to see if they can get away undermining that constraint by using futuristic styling and the result is not for everyone and that's fine. It looks like a cyber-dumpster from the back, but the front 3/4 view is pretty sick. Rivian's unoffensive design was perfect for their current market position, but it also has some misses, as the front light bar thickness is cringe and the tail-lights are dangerously small.

The actual CT will 100% not have a stressed-skin design and will likely not be 3 mm thick as advertised. It will be a Model Y with folded stainless body panels, a 6 foot bed stuck on the back, and be probably 18 inches longer than it needs to be to have the promised wedge shape. The dual motor will cost $75K +/- and they will still sell as many as they can build for years. Rivian's more manageable size is no doubt a better fit for more people, and in that sense, they again were smart by playing it safe. The CT styling will look ridiculous for 18 months, until it all the sudden is normal, much like when Tesla got rid of the faux-radiator grills on the Model S. The CT seems completely insane, but really it's just Tesla using the Apple playbook, conditioning their customers to accept and justify products that offer less, but are easier to manufacturer with higher profit margins.

Last edited:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
\

At the same time, the actual company of Tesla, made up of thousands of American engineers and workers (strangely not just Elon) is delivering the safest, most efficient, and most reliable vehicles you can buy. \
safest?

Also, you missed the memo about the move to Mexico...

Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
safest?

Also, you missed the memo about the move to Mexico...
A Model Y saved my wife's life when someone ran a red at 50 mph. The app notified me of the accident and showed me where it was. Tesla called her immediately to see if she needed help (which she did) and EMTs told us her condition given the severity was remarkable. The car also provided footage of the accident which was invaluable when the other driver and their passenger both claimed my wife ran the red.

Teslas are, pound for pound, the safest cars you can buy.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Two video links, and two posts with numbers...

Some people are just nasty, prickly, and rude; they must have been born this way...
Is that how you raise the white flag? I'll say again that I don't doubt you. I just wanted to see the data supporting your claim and learn something You've only presented data for the Tesla. Not sure how you can make that statement without the Rivian data.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
A Model Y saved my wife's life when someone ran a red at 50 mph. The app notified me of the accident and showed me where it was. Tesla called her immediately to see if she needed help (which she did) and EMTs told us her condition given the severity was remarkable. The car also provided footage of the accident which was invaluable when the other driver and their passenger both claimed my wife ran the red.

Teslas are, pound for pound, the safest cars you can buy.
I'm glad she was not injured seriously.

Was it on autopilot?

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
What do you do when you buy this and your windshield wipers go to shit? You aren't going to auto zone and picking up some of those fancy rain X ones, you can call your boy Elon and hope someone has them in stock someplace.
They are on the shelf right next to the full self driving module (Aisle 5 at the Tesla store)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for Volvo releasing OTA updates that enhance seat belt and airbag operation based on mining billions of miles of fleet data.
Volvo is doing OTA updates now. https://www.volvocars.com/my/l/ota/

And previous models had dealer-applied regular updates. I recall having Connected Car Safety become available after a dealer visit. Volvo vehicles can wireless communicate with each other and if one in front detects slippery conditions it can alert the vehicles behind it. I don't think it's too useful, yet, but as more connected vehicles come online it will become so. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10343/~/connected-safety
Sponsored