Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Regarding the looks of Cybertruck, I don't get why so many truck owners are so preoccupied with the looks when they're supposed to be tools. Stamped and painted exterior panels provides zero added benefit aside from aero and aesthetics. Tesla has decided to see if they can get away undermining that constraint by using futuristic styling and the result is not for everyone and that's fine. It looks like a cyber-dumpster from the back, but the front 3/4 view is pretty sick. Rivian's unoffensive design was perfect for their current market position, but it also has some misses, as the front light bar thickness is cringe and the tail-lights are dangerously small.
It's because 90% or more of American truck owners don't use their truck as a tool. Just look at the outrageous trims out there (King Ranch, Denali, Laramie) and the ridiculous variants (TRX, Raptor, etc) that are all incredibly popular. If trucks were still considered tools, all you'd see anymore are single or crew cab long bed variants and that's certainly not the case where I am.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for Volvo releasing OTA updates that enhance seat belt and airbag operation based on mining billions of miles of fleet data.
?? Maybe you should have been already doing that before making such a daft statement.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Always fun to see how much energy folks waste on here ragging on Tesla. In one breath, they "never actually deliver on anything" while in another breath are suddenly making Rivians more useful and valuable by opening up the one and only reliable CCS charging network in the US.

Like all things in life, Tesla is good and bad. They treat their customers terribly, lie constantly about range, features, and timelines, and undoubtedly have some of the worst build quality and quality control in the industry.

At the same time, the actual company of Tesla, made up of thousands of American engineers and workers (strangely not just Elon) is delivering the safest, most efficient, and most reliable vehicles you can buy. The things they are doing and will be able to do with fleet data are a decade ahead of anyone else and they are on track to do the same with manufacturing. They just recently rolled out vision-based pre-collision seatbelt tensioning and are currently developing and testing in the background algorithms to avoid a significant percentage of red-light-running accidents. Meanwhile, Rivian is struggling to deliver a working dash cam.

Regarding the looks of Cybertruck, I don't get why so many truck owners are so preoccupied with the looks when they're supposed to be tools. Stamped and painted exterior panels provides zero added benefit aside from aero and aesthetics. Tesla has decided to see if they can get away undermining that constraint by using futuristic styling and the result is not for everyone and that's fine. It looks like a cyber-dumpster from the back, but the front 3/4 view is pretty sick. Rivian's unoffensive design was perfect for their current market position, but it also has some misses, as the front light bar thickness is cringe and the tail-lights are dangerously small.
Tesla’s vision based system (FSD) can’t detect a baby stroller or a child sized mannequin. I’ll pass on having it control anything else in my vehicle, thank you very much. You are speaking about this as if Tesla ALWAYS has the right answer before everyone else. They don’t. They have had millions of vehicles recalled just like the other large scale manufacturers have.

And if trucks were just tools and looks, finishes don’t matter why does the Platinum Ford F150 exist? Why wouldn’t all trucks be work truck trim?

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
?? Maybe you should have been already doing that before making such a daft statement.
We almost bought a 2022 XC60 last year. Until we found out they moved control of many of the car's key systems over to a Google-controlled unit that's been incredibly unreliable, with Volvo unable to fix most of the issues. We only looked into because there were so many low mileage CPO vehicles available. Go read owner reviews on Edmunds if you find yourself with some extra time. Most of Volvo's OTA updates are just trying to get their farmed-out infotainment system working. Absolutely abysmal reliability.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
At the same time, the actual company of Tesla, made up of thousands of American engineers and workers (strangely not just Elon) is delivering the safest, most efficient, and most reliable vehicles you can buy.
Of all the S3XY vehicles Tesla produces, the Y is the ONLY Tesla in the IIHS top safety pick. How does that equate to the broad statement "Tesla .... is delivering the safest, most efficient, and most reliable vehicles you can buy."

Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Tesla’s vision based system (FSD) can’t detect a baby stroller or a child sized mannequin. I’ll pass on having it control anything else in my vehicle, thank you very much. You are speaking about this as if Tesla ALWAYS has the right answer before everyone else. They don’t. They have had millions of vehicles recalled just like the other large scale manufacturers have.

And if trucks were just tools and looks, finishes don’t matter why does the Platinum Ford F150 exist? Why wouldn’t all trucks be work truck trim?
To be clear, I don't like Tesla. They treat their customers like garbage and Musk is a massive douche. But that is what I will have my family in for the forseeable future, based on personal experience.

The story you're referencing is posted by "the Dawn project" which is a joke. The car on FSD will absolutely not do as they show, but people don't care. They just want their assumptions confirmed.

The "recall" was an OTA that was required because FSD was allowed to exceed the speed limit to drive more like people do. Doing exactly the speed limit in many areas can be dangerous as human drivers get pissed. But again, if you only surf the headlines, as 99% of Americans do, you just want your existing beliefs confirmed.

Regardless, when I say that Tesla is the safest car company, it has nothing to do with FSD or autopilot. It's because Tesla's vision data collection and analysis tools enable the vehicle to understand it's environment vastly better than those of legacy manufacturers. FSD may never become actually autonomous, but you can bet the cars will get more and more "uncrashable" every passing year.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Isn’t Lucid more efficient than Tesla
To be clear, I don't like Tesla. They treat their customers like garbage and Musk is a massive douche. But that is what I will have my family in for the forseeable future, based on personal experience.

The story you're referencing is posted by "the Dawn project" which is a joke. The car on FSD will absolutely not do as they show, but people don't care. They just want their assumptions confirmed.

The "recall" was an OTA that was required because FSD was allowed to exceed the speed limit to drive more like people do. Doing exactly the speed limit in many areas can be dangerous as human drivers get pissed. But again, if you only surf the headlines, as 99% of Americans do, you just want your existing beliefs confirmed.

Regardless, when I say that Tesla is the safest car company, it has nothing to do with FSD or autopilot. It's because Tesla's vision data collection and analysis tools enable the vehicle to understand it's environment vastly better than those of legacy manufacturers. FSD may never become actually autonomous, but you can bet the cars will get more and more "uncrashable" every passing year.
It very much was not a joke. They released the raw video of their test and FSD was turned on.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/controversy-erupts-over-video-of-fsd-tesla-striking-child-mannequin

There was also the test done by Luminar where the Tesla failed.

You are referring to 1 recall. They had 19 recalls just last year. Granted most of them are correctable by software update, but Tesla is notorious for pushing unsafe software out to US customers. There is a reason they could not do the same thing they did here in Europe.

Last edited:

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Wait.... does FSD not allow you to speed anymore after the recall? Or do you just have to use your foot but let it steer like their cruise control? That would really suck.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Wait.... does FSD not allow you to speed anymore after the recall? Or do you just have to use your foot but let it steer like their cruise control? That would really suck.
Not worth $15,000 - before and certainly not after (the castration).

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Not worth $15,000 - before and certainly not after (the castration).
Ouch, my dad got it in a lease (which never made sense to me financially) but that's rough. I always joked Tesla's were the fastest slow cars due to acceleration/autopilot following the speed limits. Now I find myself doing the same in my truck to eek out some extra range 🤣
Sponsored