Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
A lot of hate towards the Cybertruck as expected on a Rivian forum.
I don't hate the CT, it's just that the design is not for me. Let's face it - Tesla & Elon set themselves up for criticism from the get go. "Bulletproof glass", "Tows almost inf
My guess is the main exoskeleton will be reduced to 2mm thickness. The front fenders and hood will be even thinner.

Why? Affordability, vehicle weight and crash worthiness.
Your guess may be very close. A recent patent application for the 30x grade listed 1.8mm as a thickness. Thickness is $$$ when it comes to stainless.

It's cool that Tesla is optimizing the stainless, but I have to chuckle a bit at the press this is getting and the hype that Tesla is spinning on this. I have some experience with this - our engineering company has done process control work for 30 years for a high performance stainless mill. There's really no earth-shattering discovery going on here. It's every day metallurgy. It's well know by metallurgists that changing % composition, temperatures, annealing processes and rolling techniques has different effects on the crystaline structure and therefore performance characteristics of an SS alloy. Tweak the amount of chromium, nickel, manganese, etc, electroslag and vacuum arc remelt to eliminate impurities, (Google those terms if you are curious about it) control the furnace atmosphere, etc. It's similar to tweaking a cake baking recipe. In the graphic, you can see that the new alloy is a variation of well known alloys - 301, 304L and 316L. That's why it's currently known as 30x. If it becomes a true industry standard, that designation would change. The additional elements, extensive processing and energy input is what makes stainless so much more expensive.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day 1678210259292
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
You're spot on. Musk is the king of marketing products with a zero advertising budget. He lets others get the word out. When revised pricing is announced it will be covered by nearly every media outlet on the planet.

The term 30x is used for marketing purposes. The average Joe thinks the Cybertruck SS is 30 times better.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
You're spot on. Musk is the king of marketing products with a zero advertising budget. He lets others get the word out. When revised pricing is announced it will be covered by nearly every media outlet on the planet.

The term 30x is used for marketing purposes. The average Joe thinks the Cybertruck SS is 30 times better.
If CT is $80K and no exoskeleton the uproar should be a hoot. From a entertainment standpoint I will be very disappoint if CT is inexpensive, exoskeleton and has premium glass.

Regardless it will be a fine vehicle and sell out for years.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

There has been a $35K model 3. Most of the time it was "off menu".

Cybertruck may not be exoskeleton. CT fans are aghast at that thought, and point out that the order page still lists that feature. But they do accept that the vehicle is now a five seater. The order page says six seats.

While I think CT is probably exoskeleton I'm not longer certain:
1) CT is not referred to as a new generation
2) Structural battery pack is not successful so far in the Austin Model Y. Structural pack is likely integral to exoskeleton.
3) Exoskeleton probably does not have the skateboard's flexibility for future vehicle designs

So CT may be a limited branch of the family tree with exoskelaton. Or perhaps management talked Elon off that branch in the years since the CT announcement. We shall see.
If it no longer has an exoskeleton, what's the point of the butt ugly looks? I followed the CT very closely because I was intrigued by the Elon hype (2nd day reservation holders). I lost count of how many times I heard "first principles" when Teslastans/Youtubers explained why the CT looks the way it does. If there's no exoskeleton, then it's an aesthetic choice to cover up defective thinking -- i.e., the opposite of first principles.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If it no longer has an exoskeleton, what's the point of the butt ugly looks? I followed the CT very closely because I was intrigued by the Elon hype (2nd day reservation holders). I lost count of how many times I heard "first principles" when Teslastans/Youtubers explained why the CT looks the way it does. If there's no exoskeleton, then it's an aesthetic choice to cover up defective thinking -- i.e., the opposite of first principles.
It's probably going to be both, derive strength from the internal frame and from the exterior skin. There's no way they could make it safe without it being able to crumple in accidents.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
More misleading comments from the Great Charlatan. Hype, hype.... awwwwwwww

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Cybertruck in track mode…

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Cybertruck in track mode…

I wonder if Tesla would eventually realize that this thing is a truck and start showing off some of its truck capability.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Deleted member 11292

The heck is wrong with you people? Cybertruck is a stupid-looking piece of crap. You thought it was another one of Elon's doobie-night jokes when they rolled it out on stage, and then got excited when the said, no, that's actually it. Because you're a fanboi.

Elon was in a bar getting drunk one night and said "Watch this". And y'all put a reservation down, just like he said you would.

A base Model 3 is like $45k, but Elon is going to build you a truck out of stainless steel with a flux capacitor for about the same price??

It will probably have that FSD that you've been paying an extra $10k since 2015 too.

What the absolute F??

Weak minds follow. Stop worshipping people. I can see why China is going to put that smack down on us soon. Jesus H Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

That's pretty obviously a fake video.

Shadows don't make sense
Resolution artifacts beyond what would be present in a low quality video

Most obvious, Who would do that in a non production cybertruck in a confined area, with random shit stacked around it, including another vehicle?
Sponsored