Sponsored

Deep breaths and bright siding. What can you live with/ without?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I completely understand the anger at Rivian today. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a company vaporize so much goodwill with a single email. There is a good chance they priced me out with the sheer amount of the price hike, but before I cancel I’m going to play around with the configurator and see if I can still create a truck that I can afford and be happy with. I encourage others to do the same if you aren’t in your garages gathering pitchforks and lanterns.

What can you live without?
Do you *need* a quad motor that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds?
Do you *need* a tonneau cover at all?
Do you *need* the Adventure package?
Can you live with Silver paint?
Can you live with 21” tires/ wheels?

I’m not trying to be a smart ass, and if I were someone who had put down my deposit 3 years ago and been hit with this I would probably be out just on principle alone. Rivian really did those people wrong. But I was able to configure a truck with an Adventure package, large battery pack, Dual motor, dark 20” wheels, and crossbars that costs about $6000 more than my original estimate ($77,125 — $83,200). Basically I lost the quad motors and a tonneau cover. They even *gave* me free tow hooks that I didn’t really want. I am still trying to decide if I want to push my budget higher for a company that thinks so little of it’s biggest fans, but for now I plan to sit on my reservation and see what happens.
Sponsored

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

I haven’t changed my order yet but I need to cut costs…

Compass Yellow is out, LG is in
Ocean Coast is out, BM is in

That‘s $4500 saved.

Now, do I really need that off-road upgrade….

Ironically if I had that config maybe a guide would have contacted me before the price change and locked me in. Ugh! This sucks!

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I haven’t changed my order yet but I need to cut costs…

Compass Yellow is out, LG is in
Ocean Coast is out, BM is in

That‘s $4500 saved.

Now, do I really need that off-road upgrade….

Ironically if I had that config maybe a guide would have contacted me before the price change and locked me in. Ugh! This sucks!
Yeah, that part of this is honestly the worst. People configured vehicles how they wanted and that is now a factor in whether or not they get hit with a 20% increase. Rivian really $hit on you there. I’m sorry.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I need 3 rows, even at a base with no otions looking at 90k if I want it this year.
It’s BS. But if it’s still the vehicle you want I guess I would ask what other electric 3 row SUV you could replace it with?

I hate that we are even having these convos today. Damn you, Rivian!

Sponsored

IronM5

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 BMW M5 16 Mini , 22 Audi A5 Ragtop 93 Jeep Wrng
Occupation
Flenser
I can easily live without a Rivian. It's just too bad, they seemed to have so much promise. I guess they have enough orders and don't need mine.

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
I completely understand the anger at Rivian today. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a company vaporize so much goodwill with a single email. There is a good chance they priced me out with the sheer amount of the price hike, but before I cancel I’m going to play around with the configurator and see if I can still create a truck that I can afford and be happy with. I encourage others to do the same if you aren’t in your garages gathering pitchforks and lanterns.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass, and if I were someone who had put down my deposit 3 years ago and been hit with this I would probably be out just on principle alone. Rivian really did those people wrong. But I was able to configure a truck with an Adventure package, large battery pack, Dual motor, dark 20” wheels, and crossbars that costs about $6000 more than my original estimate ($77,125 — $83,200). Basically I lost the quad motors and a tonneau cover. They even *gave* me free tow hooks that I didn’t really want. I am still trying to decide if I want to push my budget higher for a company that thinks so little of it’s biggest fans, but for now I plan to sit on my reservation and see what happens.
I would be happy to move to dual motors to save $6K…if it didn’t delay delivery by *another* two years.

My delivery window opened today, and just last week CS told me that I was slotted for delivery by Mar 31. To have this price increase happen after waiting since Nov 2018 and when the promise of delivery was finally so close just…hurts.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I just took off the underbody extra protection. But the spare adds 1k back in from the 2k saved.

Really looking at dropping the dark 20" to regular 20". Would save $3500. FE is another 2k. Dropped a few other accessories that I can get after market (floor mats, recovery kit, etc). If I drop the dark wheels and the FE interior i get close to what I had configured previously.

Sadly everyone cancelling may move up my delivery, which will cost another $4000 in missed state tax credits.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would be happy to move to dual motors to save $6K…if it didn’t delay delivery by *another* two years.

My delivery window opened today, and just last week CS told me that I was slotted for delivery by Mar 31. To have this price increase happen after waiting since Nov 2018 and when the promise of delivery was finally so close just…hurts.
That is completely understandable. I would be royally passed if I were in the same situation. To wait this long, then be asked to pay 20% more or wait 2 years is complete BS.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I just took off the underbody extra protection. But the spare adds 1k back in from the 2k saved.

Really looking at dropping the dark 20" to regular 20". Would save $3500. FE is another 2k. Dropped a few other accessories that I can get after market (floor mats, recovery kit, etc). If I drop the dark wheels and the FE interior i get close to what I had configured previously.

Sadly everyone cancelling may move up my delivery, which will cost another $4000 in missed state tax credits.
It sucks to have to cut things out of the truck you were getting excited about, but I’m trying to remind myself that it would still be the nicest vehicle I would ever own by a large margin.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Yea...the delay on top makes it an even tougher pill to swallow. Wait another two years, get a slower vehicle with two fewer motors, AND still pay more.

2024 is also an interesting time frame. 2023 deliveries were still likely to come before there are other viable options. 2024...could be another story. The market is going to be even more crowded then and what is unique and justifiable about an R1T or R1S now may be less so in two years.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I can easily live without a Rivian. It's just too bad, they seemed to have so much promise. I guess they have enough orders and don't need mine.
I get that. I just placed my order in December but I have been closely following since the very beginning and felt the same way about the company. Today was a reality check.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You can put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.
The news today is a very ugly pig - no lipstick can fix that.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired

You're not being a smart ass. You're actually trying to find a silver lining to this dark cloud. I applaude thee, sir! :)
Sponsored