First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
Truck got delivered yesterday (woohoo!) so I've naturally been playing around with everything all weekend. I wanted to see how strong the brakes were so I threw it in neutral and stood on them and to my shock the truck DID NOT want to stop, even with me applying a massive amount of pressure that would normally kick on ABS in another car. My first thought was "does Rivian not bed these brakes?" - So I followed my typical bed in process when I get new brakes and just like that - the truck stops perfectly normal now. Thought i'd pass along this advice because it is borderline dangerous without bedding these brakes in!

Pic of truck because it's awesome.
Rivian R1T R1S Discussion: Bed Your Brakes After Delivery!? Rivian
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Does any auto manufacturer document that they bed the brakes before delivery?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I feel like an idiot. What is bedding your brakes? I’ve never done that with any vehicle before…

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I feel like an idiot. What is bedding your brakes? I’ve never done that with any vehicle before…
It is a process recommended by many/most? Brake pad manufacturers. For example, you drive to 15 mph and apply the brakes moderately hard until all but stopping. Then repeat from 25 mph, and again from 35 mph. There are probably 50 variations on the exact procedure, lol.
The goal is to slowly and progressively heat the brake pads up causing them to “settle” into a good position/alignment for your calipers and rotors, as well as burn off irregularities and impurities on the new pads and rotors.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It is a process recommended by many/most? Brake pad manufacturers. For example, you drive to 15 moh and apply the brakes moderately hard until all but stopping. Then repeat from 25 mph, and again from 35 mph. There are probably 50 variations on the exact procedure, lol.
The goal is to slowly and progressively heat the brake pads up causing them to “settle” into a good position/alignment for your calipers and rotors, as well as burn off irregularities and impurities on the new pads and rotors.
Thank you. I don’t know how I’ve gotten this far without ever hearing about it or having to do it 🤯

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It is a process recommended by many/most? Brake pad manufacturers. For example, you drive to 15 mph and apply the brakes moderately hard until all but stopping. Then repeat from 25 mph, and again from 35 mph. There are probably 50 variations on the exact procedure, lol.
Is this a one time process?...

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Is this a one time process?...
It’s something you do every time you swap out pads or install new (or recently turned) rotors. I do this on my mtn bikes and motorcycles after every pad and/or rotor change - which is pretty often, esp on the mtb.

TBH I’ve only used the actual friction brakes once in the truck and did notice how poorly they worked given the need for panic stop.

Good call, OP. This is a good idea and I personally feel foolish for not having thought about it for the truck.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
There was another guy who suggested this so I did it when I first got my truck. I think it was a good call for how infrequently you use the friction brakes in the R1 with how strong the regen is I probably use the friction brakes 1 out of three trips I take if that.

I would recommend doing a basic brake bedding procedure monthly if you are like me and barely use the friction brakes. The rotors do rust and pads oxidize during long periods of sitting idle. Especially in this truck, the only times I really even use the friction brakes are on a really hard stop. You want to make sure your brakes work in that case. The size of the calipers are more than sufficient to stop the truck, provided your brakes are seated correctly. It has plenty of stopping power.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I have never heard of having to do this on any new car. Ever.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Where’s the cigarette lighter?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3M / Rivian R1T (future)
Clubs

This is a good call. I’ve done this 30+ times with racing pads and the process and philosophy is essentially the same.

You want the pads to mate to the rotors and this takes SIGNIFICANT pressure and heat to actually apply a layer of pad to the rotor.

Find a completely empty road:

Do about a hard (and I mean f-ing hard, but not locking up) brake application from about 60mph to 20mph, then speed back up to 60 and repeat this about 8more times.

Do NOT come to a complete stop again until you drive for several minutes to cool the rotors. Then bobs your uncle.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This is a good call. I’ve done this 30+ times with racing pads and the process and philosophy is essentially the same.

You want the pads to mate to the rotors and this takes SIGNIFICANT pressure and heat to actually apply a layer of pad to the rotor.

Find a completely empty road:

Do about a hard (and I mean f-ing hard, but not locking up) brake application from about 60mph to 20mph, then speed back up to 60 and repeat this about 8more times.

Do NOT come to a complete stop again until you drive for several minutes to cool the rotors. Then bobs your uncle.
Also don’t hold the brakes on while hot, otherwise uneven pad material deposits might happen

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
...and that was nearly the last time I used the brake pedal (when I took delivery and was testing out the hardware brakes). Now just shy of 10k miles...I suspect they still look good as new!
Sponsored