First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Great idea! I wonder if something like this might work for the lazy among us (bonus: lockable). Would need a smaller tool (like a folding multitool with Torx bits). Amazon.com: HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault
Interesting, I had never seen those. Not sure I would spend 70 dollars to secure a 15 dollar screwdriver though. It looks pretty small, a dollar is about 2.6 inches tall so that may be 3 or 3 1/4 inches long so something pretty short would need to be found to keep there.

Edit: Just for information, the Rivian receiver has a back to it and is a total of 7 inches deep. At least for the R1S.
Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Edit: Just for information, the Rivian receiver has a back to it and is a total of 7 inches deep. At least for the R1S.
My relatively early R1T has no back to it. In fact you can see the jump cable and probably 4' at least into the vehicle if poking with a thin rod. Useable space is about 10-12 but would worry about any small items disappearing.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Last edited:

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Great ideas here. I will replicate and add a print out of the procedures for getting into the frunk and jumping the batteries.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Kinda sad you even had to think of this in a way. Pro tip: You're gonna need a 10mm too and a first aid kit. The 10mm for one wheel liner bolt and the first aid kit to bandage your arm after!

Manual frunk latch access is a bigger pia than what is portrayed in owners manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Kinda sad you even had to think of this in a way. Pro tip: You're gonna need a 10mm too and a first aid kit. The 10mm for one wheel liner bolt and the first aid kit to bandage your arm after!

Manual frunk latch access is a bigger pia than what is portrayed in owners manual.
Thanks for the 10 mm tip, Iā€™ll add it, there is duct tape in the frunk so Iā€™m covered with the first aid kit. šŸ˜‰

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Thanks for the 10 mm tip, Iā€™ll add it, there is duct tape in the frunk so Iā€™m covered with the first aid kit. šŸ˜‰
Also in all seriousness, for frunk access I don't think those drivers are gonna work. Test it but they are too long. Remember you may not be able to turn the wheel. A 1/4 inch drive and torx socket is a better bet.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Also in all seriousness, for frunk access I don't think those drivers are gonna work. Test it but they are too long. Remember you may not be able to turn the wheel. A 1/4 inch drive and torx socket is a better bet.
Yes, Iā€™m swapping out for a 1/4 inch ratchet, 1/4 inch socket, 1/4 inch deep socket, 1/4 inch extension, and 10mm 1/4 inch socket. This should allow more flexibility and allow me to use the hitch pin instead of a zip tie. Once I set it up Iā€™ll add new pictures.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yes, Iā€™m swapping out for a 1/4 inch ratchet, 1/4 inch socket, 1/4 inch deep socket, 1/4 inch extension, and 10mm 1/4 inch socket. This should allow more flexibility and allow me to use the hitch pin instead of a zip tie. Once I set it up Iā€™ll add new pictures.
I update the pictures in the original post with the latest tool set Iā€™m using. Changed the tool set to use 1/4 inch ratchet instead of the driver, way more flexible and will not need to worry about the suspension height setting to get the screws out.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it was very useful.
Sponsored