Sponsored

Does the frunk of your Rivian get hot to the touch? Or is this my first problem.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
That is a great idea, good for Uber Eats to use and keep the food warm as they deliver. Or that pizza that keeps sliding all over the inside of the car.
Haha, most overkill door dash delivery vehicle ever... or is it?
Door Dash should have a commercial with a Rivian cameo in it delivering some Chipotle to a remote off road location in record time with the food warm, fresh, and safe inside the frunk!
Sponsored

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
From a quick google search I find a Tweet from Rivian's official account stating specifically you can fill the frunk with ice and use it as a cooler. It is a tweet from 3/9/22. I am confident I have seen videos of other Rivian employees also stating it was designed so it could be used as an ice chest to keep things cold. is there something you could point to from Rivian where they contradict this and say it's not recommended? It wouldn't surprise me if they did I'm just not aware of it.
On a side note from Car & Driver:
1684949168720.png

Mmm... E-Coli anyone?

Ill take the shrimps... but take a pass on the car!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Its encouraged to use it as a cooler so the BMS doesn't have to work so hard during fast charging. :cool:
You'd have to reverse the fan polarity so you're drawing the cooler air across the radiator instead of blowing the hot air on the frunk.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You'd have to reverse the fan polarity so you're drawing the cooler air across the radiator instead of blowing the hot air on the frunk.
Well, I was kidding....but I can say that the bottom area should be filled with ice, then close the top cover, and then anything above that wouldn't get hot like so many complain about....just a thought.

OP
OP
Big Bad VooDoo

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Haha, most overkill door dash delivery vehicle ever... or is it?
Door Dash should have a commercial with a Rivian cameo in it delivering some Chipotle to a remote off road location in record time with the food warm, fresh, and safe inside the frunk!
Lol, thanks I needed that laugh this morning 😂

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
How hot are we talking? 100 degrees or 150 degrees? I'm kinda lazy, so I don't want to go out and check it myself. I consider it a non air conditioned space, but they do show people putting groceries in there. Not sure I'd want to transport chicken or fish for an hour, if it wasn't headed straight for the grill, but for short trips I don't see it as an issue.

Honestly, I'm only 3-1/2 weeks into EV ownership, so I haven't really even put anything in there, because to my brain, the engine is still up front. I have opened it quite a few times to show people the wow factor of the EV frunk, but it never felt hot to touch or even radiant heat coming from there.

OP
OP
Big Bad VooDoo

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
How hot are we talking? 100 degrees or 150 degrees? I'm kinda lazy, so I don't want to go out and check it myself. I consider it a non air conditioned space, but they do show people putting groceries in there. Not sure I'd want to transport chicken or fish for an hour, if it wasn't headed straight for the grill, but for short trips I don't see it as an issue.

Honestly, I'm only 3-1/2 weeks into EV ownership, so I haven't really even put anything in there, because to my brain, the engine is still up front. I have opened it quite a few times to show people the wow factor of the EV frunk, but it never felt hot to touch or even radiant heat coming from there.
Thanks, I am new to the EV world as well, maybe I will just put a ticket into the service center and get that piece of mind. I will eventually update this thread with what they say when I get it done.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Having driven a few hundred miles past week (85-90 ambient), AC on the whole time, and I have noticed the frunk gets very warm (probably 130F+) I happened to have a couple of water bottles in there and they got hot enough that it wasn't drinkable (had to throw away due to plastic smell). Not a good place to put anything edible or temp sensitive in the frunk. I was storing my e-skate board, sun block , baby wipes, etc. and all got cooked and smells like a chemical factory.
Sponsored