Sponsored

Driver door window wouldn't go up no matter what.

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

2500 miles in, first major issue. While backing up today from driveway I rolled window down to clear it from droplets since it's been raining all night aaaaand now it wouldn't go up no matter what. Had to put garbage bag over the window so the rain wouldn't get inside. What I tried doing:

- Reset whole car first time
- Did the hold-for-5-seconds-trick to reset regulators
- Called service (still waiting for response)
- Drove around on a bumpy road in case something got loose
- Moved the harness between the door and vehicle's body in case there's a loose wire
- Reset car 2nd time at the same time keeping rolling both front windows up and down to see if problem is with hardware or software. Passenger one was working fine, no response from driver side at all
- Very carefully tried lifting window up with pliers wrapped in rubberized fabric while pressing the switch, no good.
- Closing with fob - all windows except driver work.

Worst part is that I was scheduled for service today but had to reschedule (to Nov 1st!) because I'm sick like a dog (flu + pink eye at the same time, damn kids and daycares).

Rivian R1T R1S Driver door window wouldn't go up no matter what. 20220907_093240
Sponsored

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

2500 miles in, first major issue. While backing up today from driveway I rolled window down to clear it from droplets since it's been raining all night aaaaand now it wouldn't go up no matter what. Had to put garbage bag over the window so the rain wouldn't get inside. What I tried doing:

- Reset whole car first time
- Did the hold-for-5-seconds-trick to reset regulators
- Called service (still waiting for response)
- Drove around on a bumpy road in case something got loose
- Moved the harness between the door and vehicle's body in case there's a loose wire
- Reset car 2nd time at the same time keeping rolling both front windows up and down to see if problem is with hardware or software. Passenger one was working fine, no response from driver side at all
- Very carefully tried lifting window up with pliers wrapped in rubberized fabric while pressing the switch, no good.
- Closing with fob - all windows except driver work.

Worst part is that I was scheduled for service today but had to reschedule (to Nov 1st!) because I'm sick like a dog (flu + pink eye at the same time, damn kids and daycares).

20220907_093240.jpg
Did you try the 30 minute walk away with all keys etc deep sleep trick? A guy was having an issue with the charger not working and had to walk away and allow the vehicle to deep sleep in order for the problem component/code to reinitialize.

Also... pink eye is just a nice term for "poopy eye"

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Guessing it's a bad switch

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Did you try the 30 minute walk away with all keys etc deep sleep trick? A guy was having an issue with the charger not working and had to walk away and allow the vehicle to deep sleep in order for the problem component/code to reinitialize.

Also... pink eye is just a nice term for "poopy eye"
I think the poop thing is a myth.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Not sure that is anything an owner could facilitate themselves.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My guess is that if you removed the door panel, the inside of a Rivian door would look similar to most other truck doors. I don’t know what they mean by “calibrating” the window module, but it could mean something simple like “straighten” LOL. I doubt Rivian reinvented window controls.

OP
OP
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

I picked up the truck yesterday, the SA said the driver door window module had to be reflashed. I asked if that's something myself or mobile service could do and he said no.
That's pretty much all the info I have.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I picked up the truck yesterday, the SA said the driver door window module had to be reflashed. I asked if that's something myself or mobile service could do and he said no.
“Reflashed” makes me think I was completely wrong and would have been sorely disappointed after removing the door panel LOL. As long as your window got fixed that’s all that matters

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Some here know what this means, but for those that don't, it's a term used with embedded controllers that essentially is the procedure to write the program code and variables to the controller. You need a PC and appropriate software to flash a controller. In the automotive world, that software has been historically proprietary, but with the "Right To Repair" movement, some manufacturers are making it available for a fee. Or sometimes you can find hacked versions of it online, lol.

Dhario

First Name
Rajini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Owner
Occupation
Hobbyist
Thanks for the update. My driver side window is stuck at 95% closed. The window will roll down and rolls up to 95% close — auto up and auto down too. Tried all the standard troubleshooting. Weird that the controller might bug out. Waiting for SC to call back with an appt. Not to self — don’t roll down windows for fresh air. J/k.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

My window is now permanently stuck open, and my truck is now in the SC. Excellent timing given that it's finally dry here after a week of pineapple express downpours.

I took delivery two weeks ago and immediately observed a window that wouldn't always auto close from a full window button pull:

The window behaved like this intermittently, but it always moved slowly and sounded like it was straining. I performed the 5-second recalibration and the problem went away. I opened a service ticket anyway. Along with a few other issues, one of them related to security, I was scheduled for a January 26 SC visit at the earliest.

This morning the window would open but not close, and it doesn't matter if you use the driver's switch or the passenger's for this left rear window. It's much colder outside today, for what it's worth. As I was half way through filling a new service ticket, I received a call from a service rep following up on a different service issue. He updated and escalated my prior window ticket (NB: report all issues right away regardless of urgency!).

After checking with the SC my phone support person got me approved for an unscheduled drop off today. I got to the SC so fast that the service person who met me had to check Slack for evidence of this approval, since I had yet to be added to their system. I got a courtesy ride in a lovely FG/FE R1T (aside: what a gorgeous combo!) for what would have been a three minute walk around the block to get a rental car.

The right rear window is also a bit slow and may be straining, so I asked the service center to examine it as well.

Overall A+ support from Rivian. 🤩

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

My window is now permanently stuck open, and my truck is now in the SC.
The SC fixed it, and it was purely a firmware issue. The rep said that an earlier OTA update confused some vehicles and tricked them into losing the calibration data needed for some windows to operate at all. The technicians had to reflash the firmware and reset the configuration/calibration data. I'm amazed OTA can break such a system but it cannot be repaired OTA. Thankfully they were very quick to take my vehicle in for service.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Just for future reference there is actually ANOTHER window calibration setting that resolved my rear window not rolling up at all. Credit to someone on Reddit from getting it from a SC person.

You have to sit in the seat, door closed, hold the window bottom down half way (this is key) for about 20 seconds while the window is down all the way then repeat the same process holding up half way. After about 5 seconds on the up hold the window started working again.

Worked wonders for me and my window is actually faster now.
Sponsored