First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Off to a rough start. Traded in a Tesla M3P for a Rivian R1S today. Had some concerns about quality control. Vehicle seemed fine at delivery but we never turned on the sound system. As soon as I started driving away i turned the stereo on and noticed the speaker on the driver side in the headliner was blown. Its very obvious.

My delivery person said the techs couldn't look at it today but to put in a mobile repair ticket and it would be an easy fix. He also said it was a "known issue." Has anyone else heard of this?

To make it worse I just got a call from Rivian and they aren't sure it can be fixed via mobile repair. The Chelsea, MA service center is 90 minutes from my house....not ideal.

The vehicle is awesome. I love it. But wow they really need to work on quality control. I was one of the first to get a M3P and never had a single issue in 5 years of ownership,
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Some people occasionally have described an issue where doing a hard reset fixes static from one or more speakers, if they didn't suggest doing that first I would give it a try.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Are you sure it's "blown"? Blown speakers are not a known issue. Some have had issues with the headliner speakers when using the "3D sound"

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Are you sure it's "blown"? Blown speakers are not a known issue. Some have had issues with the headliner speakers when using the "3D sound"
Was just going to post this. I had this issue. Iirc, that feature tries to move the soundstage higher in the vehicle, but I think it inadvertently also tries to push lower frequencies to those small speakers and it causes this.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I recently noticed some static from my driver side headliner speaker, but it seems to have corrected itself.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jper123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Was just going to post this. I had this issue. Iirc, that feature tries to move the soundstage higher in the vehicle, but I think it inadvertently also tries to push lower frequencies to those small speakers and it causes this.
Perhaps it's not blown but changing all the settings in the equalizer doesn't have much of an impact. It also sounds like way more sound is coming from the passenger side than the driver side. The balance is set in the middle but it is way louder on the right hand ride.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I would do an infotainment reset. I had a similar problem on the way home from taking delivery of our R1S last month. Not sure why I didn't thinking of playing music during inspection, but I didn't. Once I left and got on the freeway, the speaker right above my left ear sounded scratchy and overly tinny, kinda like the mom sounds on the Charlie Brown cartoons. About the time I got home, it sounded better and then after an unrelated soft reset, it sounds normal. I can't explain it, but I never got to the point where I had time to make a service ticket. Everything has been good since then.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

As others have said above I have seen this on my DS headliner speaker a few times. A hard reset has fixed it on those occasions.

OP
OP

Jper123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Thank you guys! Turning off 3D sound seems to be a fix. Its not perfect but its much better. Even after a hard reset, it is still there with 3D sound turned on.

Sponsored

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
physician
Some people occasionally have described an issue where doing a hard reset fixes static from one or more speakers, if they didn't suggest doing that first I would give it a try.
Plus one for this. I had static at one point from those speakers. It was much worse with spatial audio turned on. I forget it it was an infotainment reset or a hard reset, but one of those fixed it and hasn’t been back.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Off to a rough start. Traded in a Tesla M3P for a Rivian R1S today. Had some concerns about quality control. Vehicle seemed fine at delivery but we never turned on the sound system. As soon as I started driving away i turned the stereo on and noticed the speaker on the driver side in the headliner was blown. Its very obvious.

My delivery person said the techs couldn't look at it today but to put in a mobile repair ticket and it would be an easy fix. He also said it was a "known issue." Has anyone else heard of this?

To make it worse I just got a call from Rivian and they aren't sure it can be fixed via mobile repair. The Chelsea, MA service center is 90 minutes from my house....not ideal.

The vehicle is awesome. I love it. But wow they really need to work on quality control. I was one of the first to get a M3P and never had a single issue in 5 years of ownership,
Yes I have the same speaker issue. You can turn off enhanced audio and it goes away, even putting it on the lower setting fixes it. It might be a SW issue with the new Rivian sound system (not meridian).

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm guessing the hard reset turns the 3d sound off .

OP
OP

Jper123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Yes I have the same speaker issue. You can turn off enhanced audio and it goes away, even putting it on the lower setting fixes it. It might be a SW issue with the new Rivian sound system (not meridian).
That’s exactly where I am at. When 3D sound is off, no sound comes from that speaker. Problem “fixed.” Low volume or lower 3D setting it’s not too bad but it’s still there. Not sure if it’s hardware or software. Should I cancel my mobile service appt? I doubt a new speaker is going to fix this problem.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s exactly where I am at. When 3D sound is off, no sound comes from that speaker. Problem “fixed.” Low volume or lower 3D setting it’s not too bad but it’s still there. Not sure if it’s hardware or software. Should I cancel my mobile service appt? I doubt a new speaker is going to fix this problem.
I'd say since it is a mobile appointment, let them try to fix it and get another data point. I wouldn't waste my time driving to an SC though.
Sponsored