Sponsored

Driving to Alaska?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Anyone here done that trip in an EV? It seems to me that the primary problem with Rivian is not battery size but charge rate in MPH. An overnight on a 30A 120V connection doesn't give a full day of driving. Camping away from charging seems problematic.

I've seen a R1T on plugshare in northern BC/Yukon. So at least one truck has perhaps gone the full way.

How about the Alaska State Ferry as an alternative? Anyone put a vehicle on that service? I could see using the ferry on the northbound leg.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not sure if you saw it but the TFL guys took a Lightning to Alaska.

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Not sure if you saw it but the TFL guys took a Lightning to Alaska.
No I didn't. I find them strangely annoying and I think they are on my "do not recommend" list. But I can tolerate them for a trip to Alaska.

I've followed Tesla owners on the drive, including some who live part time in Alaska. But a model S or a Lucid Air is, ironically, and easier vehicle to make the trip compared to Rivian. The Lightning is a good analog.

Edit: Yep, they are still dumb. In the first two minutes they claim to charge at 2400W on a 120V 20A circuit. They bring a gas generator in truck form instead of just bringing a gas generator.
At first I thought they were bringing a gas vehicle to tow charge if necessary. But that would have been too interesting.

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

No I didn't. I find them strangely annoying and I think they are on my "do not recommend" list. But I can tolerate them for a trip to Alaska.

I've followed Tesla owners on the drive, including some who live part time in Alaska. But a model S or a Lucid Air is, ironically, and easier vehicle to make the trip compared to Rivian. The Lightning is a good analog.

Edit: Yep, they are still dumb. In the first two minutes they claim to charge at 2400W on a 120V 20A circuit. They bring a gas generator in truck form instead of just bringing a gas generator.
At first I thought they were bringing a gas vehicle to tow charge if necessary. But that would have been too interesting.
They used the ferry and another truck as battery back up.

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
They used the ferry and another truck as battery back up.
But only because a heavy lift helicopter from Seattle to Haines was not in their production budget.

I need Kyle Connor to drive his Rivian to Alaska. He owes us for jumping the queue.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

But only because a heavy lift helicopter from Seattle to Haines was not in their production budget.

I need Kyle Connor to drive his Rivian to Alaska. He owes us for jumping the queue.
What say you @OutofSpecKyle ?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

If you watch his videos taking his Revel to Alaska he was scouting such a trip in a CCS car, not sure if he specified which one.
That’s right! I do remember that now that was kinda the point of the trip. I’d watch that.
Sponsored