Luke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Rivian is touting the Quad motor variant as the superior off-road capable version which I get to a certain degree. The 4-wheel torque vectoring can help a lot during many off-road situations but I am curious if the dual-motor version might actually be better in areas where the wheels aren't all on the ground. Here is my thinking... In the Out of Spec Hill Climb Challenge (and many other off-roading videos) the Rivian does not have enough power in a single motor to pull the heavy truck up an incline if the other wheels don't have traction. See the YouTube video link below. Essentially in the quad-motor setup, each wheel has a ballpark of 205-210hp and similar figures of torque. With the dual-motor performance setup if you assume that the Rivian is able to use traction control to brake 100% of the slipping wheels and transfer all power to the wheel with grip that would mean that the wheel with grip would receive 350hp and similar figures of torque. A very large jump in power availability. I would like anyone's opinion/explanation on where my logic is flawed and if they really believe the quad-motor is better for this specific situation?

https://stories.rivian.com/difference-between-r1-drive-systems

Rivian R1T vs R1S - Out of Spec Hill Climb Challenge
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would like anyone's opinion/explanation on where my logic is flawed and if they really believe the quad-motor is better for this specific situation?
Gear ratio halves when one wheel is locked up by the brake, so you effectively halve the amount of torque

OP
OP

Luke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Gear ratio halves when one wheel is locked up by the brake, so you effectively halve the amount of torque
That makes perfect sense. I knew there was a piece I was missing. Much appreciated.

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Essentially in the quad-motor setup, each wheel has a ballpark of 205-210hp and similar figures of torque.
Has Rivian stated that each motor is essentially an even divisor from the total output power when all motors are engaged? Wondering if the battery/inverters/drive system is limited to a certain total output power (~840hp) rather than each individual motor. For example, maybe each motor is capable of 300-350hp (especially the rears)?
Sponsored