First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Several threads covering third party solutions, but haven't seen the following yet.

I used some RV non-leveling lap sealant on the five extruding points (not around the edge) and then smudged the screw hole where it squishes through to create a "lock". Then held it on with a budgie around the tow hooks to dry.

Disclaimer that I don't know how well this works, but I am fairly confident it will hold. Also maybe it will discolor the bumper if removed, but probably nothing a nice buffing and restorer can't fix.

One mistake I made was when putting the bungie on and pulling the cord, the plate moved about a 1/4", so make sure the cord doesn't "slide/pull" over the plate.

I also tried 3M tape like Tesla uses but the surface area was too little and it didn't adhere well to the plastic.

PXL_20220725_125724049.MP.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Also, the lower three points have a pretty big gap to cover, so cut off most of the sealant tip to get a thick 1/2" sized bead.

Some painters tape pre work on the outside edges will also help with alignment beforehand.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Telluride, T-Bird, R1S on Preorder
Looks like you MacGruber'ed it!

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
There's a solution to snap the plate to the grill and then another solution to the tow hooks. Why wouldn't you use either of these?

OP
OP

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
To each their own, but I use my tow hooks and didn't want to cover the grill or camera. The snap plate is also the same cost as a ticket and doesn't look as clean, in my opinion.

Last edited: