Sponsored

Efficiency bay area -> South Lake Tahoe?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Anyone run to South Lake in their R1(T or S) and jotted down their efficiency? Bay Area -> Truckee would be useful as well.

Trying to get an idea of charging points for a planned road trip, and wanted to get an idea of how your rig did on the climb over the pass.
Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Definitely interested in this as well, at least the Bay area to Truckee part

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
FWIW I did downtown Napa to SW Reno via Berryessa/Winters once this summer, on full charge. Google says 215mi and had less than 50mi left...I think it was like ~35-40mi on arrival. That was mild temps probably ~70 deg average on A/T tires with dry pavement, so would expect range to decrease in winter with climate control and snow on the road. Depending on those details, and where in the bay, it would be cutting it close. Going down, I had ~40% battery left when I got to Napa so reverse direction should be no problem.

EDIT to add there is a good EA Level 3 charging station at the Motel 6 in Auburn on north side of Foresthill exit that I used once (not this trip)

Also, between Colfax and Truckee, where most of the elevation gain is, I kind of drive 80 like it's a racetrack (75-100) :) so you would probably do better in the winter at lower speeds

Last edited:

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
Last weekend drove to SF for the weekend from Reno. Going off memory, we left SF with about 50% charge, stopped in Vacaville for lunch and charged to about 80%. We stopped in Truckee with 25% and charged for a few to give us a buffer to make it the rest of the way to South Reno.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I've driven from the East Bay to Tahoe City a few times. I have 20" AT's and drive in conserve mode @ 75mph most of the way going up highway 80. Last time we drove up I think the efficiency was 1.7kwh. I typically stop at the EA charger in Truckee with about 20% SOC and we charge up to 85% while we grocery shop in Save Mart. I could easily make it to my house, but I would be down to about 30 miles of range. We are planning to go up in the next week in the snow and I plan to stop in Auburn to juice up before going over the hill. I will say that the battery goes fast when you are rolling at 75mph over the hill. The good news is we made it back w/o stopping and left with 75% SOC.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
This is all great data, thanks everyone. I’ll be doing a trip up 50 in Nov or Dec, and possibly 88. 50 should be a piece of cake, as you can hit the chargers at BofA in SLT upon arrival (or any other of a host of DCFC there). 88 will be a little more interesting since you’re in the boonies once you leave Stockton.

EDIT: There are way, way more DCFC chargers in the Stockton area than I’d expected. Awesome - 88 should be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
This is all great data, thanks everyone. I’ll be doing a trip up 50 in Nov or Dec, and possibly 88. 50 should be a piece of cake, as you can hit the chargers at BofA in SLT upon arrival (or any other of a host of DCFC there). 88 will be a little more interesting since you’re in the boonies once you leave Stockton.

EDIT: There are way, way more DCFC chargers in the Stockton area than I’d expected. Awesome - 88 should be a piece of cake.
There is a 350kw EA charger at the BofA in Placerville. I've used it a couple times. Always works well.

Gpers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Alltrack
We did a trip about a month ago from East bay to Truckee, started at full charge and arrived with 30%. That’s on the 21’s with aero covers on going 5-10 above speed limit as it was our first road trip. Doing it again this weekend and will report back now it’s a little colder

G_foggy_G

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and 4-Runner
I've made the trip multiple times from Pleasanton (East Bay) to Truckee and usually end up with 50 miles of range remaining and I'm not a conservative driver, so going slower speeds would definitely add some charge (21" with aero covers). The EA charger in town at he savemart is 350KW, so it's fast. 3 weeks ago the Rivian chargers were being staked and surveyed to start construction soon, so hoping those are done in time for snowboarding season!

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
We did this drive again this morning. Same results. Left the East Bay @ 100% SOC. Arrived at the Save Mart in Truckee off 89 and 80 with 20% SOC (65 miles of range remaining). Drove between 75 and 80 mph in Conserve mode the whole trip. Charged up to 85% SOC at the EA charger while grocery shopping.

Seems to be a consistent use of energy. I'm curious to see how things go when it's snowing and we are driving in All Purpose mode. We are expecting a pretty good dump of snow on the way home. We'll be driving in All Purpose on the way home and looking forward to seeing how the Rivian performs.
Sponsored