First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
One trip covers a lot of savings, I paid the $4 for January, saved me $149 so far on this trip, by the time I get home at $4 a month the savings on this trip alone will probably be around 75 months of membership.
I have found that if I am traveling, I only need to do a single EA charge to recoup the membership fee. Always pay for a month if I will be traveling.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Higher rates are a bummer but likely necessary, EA loses money at 0.31/kWh and probably still do at 0.36/kWh.

Also 0.36/kWh is still cheaper than almost every competitor for DCFC.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I dunno about anyone else, but I'm really getting tired of companies making things way more complicated than they need to be.

Back in the day you used to be able to simply buy something from a vendor. You just paid the displayed price, and that was that.

Then someone figured that we all should be members of places we buy stuff from. So we ran out and got all our of membership cards.

But, that somehow wasn't good enough and now there there is membership+ options.

Even before this Pass+ stuff I was at Safeway getting some grocery's and they wanted me to sign up for some extra saving things.

riviansmoke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, RX350, Accord
Geez, if your home electric rates are over $0.30/kWh, I'd be really seriously looking into solar. I have a 5.5 kW solar array, but our electric rates after fees are only $0.13/kWh, so it doesn't make much sense financially. Though we're getting transitioned to Time of Use soon, so I'm sure I'll see more benefit then.
Yes solar is definitely worth it if your roof/yard permits. I’m installing solar on my roof, but can only offset 75% of my energy usage before adding an EV. The electric rates are $0.34/kWh, which makes the switch to EVs less about saving money.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I dunno about anyone else, but I'm really getting tired of companies making things way more complicated than they need to be.

Back in the day you used to be able to simply buy something from a vendor. You just paid the displayed price, and that was that.

Then someone figured that we all should be members of places we buy stuff from. So we ran out and got all our of membership cards.

But, that somehow wasn't good enough and now there there is membership+ options.

Even before this Pass+ stuff I was at Safeway getting some grocery's and they wanted me to sign up for some extra saving things.
I understand what you are saying but you do not need to pay for the membership and pay the normal prices. The membership is a way for members to pay dues and share the expense to lower the cost for all of the members. It also has an incentive to use the network you are paying the membership fee to. That is a win for the business and the consumer.

Here is an example, I drove 2726 miles so far on this trip. I’ve used 1,246 kw. At 31 cents that is $386.26, the membership saved me $149.40 as the cost at the non—member price of 43 cents it would have been $535.78. so if 37 other members paid their fee in January but did not use an EA charger then that covers my savings for EA.

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
People who visit family in colder states, and travel normal distances like 70-110 miles one way. It isn’t a road trip, but it isn’t a short trip. Add some cold weather, leaving with the truck not warmed up or the battery at 91%.

It isn’t a big deal in an ICE car, and you really don’t want it to be on an EV. Then to add to the complexity - that one EA station in your area could be at the beginning of your trip - or even 25% into it. Now you are charging with the battery at 73%.

it isn’t the end of the world, and depends on where you live - but lots of the country live in places like this. There needs to be more fast chargers, period.

Put it this way, if you live in Normal IL and wanted to visit your family in podunk town anywhere up on the lakes in the Midwest - you live in this type of area.

When >90% of your charging ought to happen at home with far lower rates, who cares?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

People who visit family in colder states, and travel normal distances like 70-110 miles one way. It isn’t a road trip, but it isn’t a short trip. Add some cold weather, leaving with the truck not warmed up or the battery at 91%.

It isn’t a big deal in an ICE car, and you really don’t want it to be on an EV. Then to add to the complexity - that one EA station in your area could be at the beginning of your trip - or even 25% into it. Now you are charging with the battery at 73%.

it isn’t the end of the world, and depends on where you live - but lots of the country live in places like this. There needs to be more fast chargers, period.

Put it this way, if you live in Normal IL and wanted to visit your family in podunk town anywhere up on the lakes in the Midwest - you live in this type of area.
My comment has literally nothing to do with charger availability. Obviously they need to increase in number...especially L2 in places you spend a lot of time like malls, movie theaters, restaurants, and workplaces. This thread is about price increases on EA (also EVGo announced price increases). My point was that for most people the majority of the time folks should be home charging. DCFC ought to be used while traveling, and until L2 becomes more ubiquitous apartment/renter/condo dwellers.

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
your comment was who cares? And I gave an example of people who care.

My comment has literally nothing to do with charger availability. Obviously they need to increase in number...especially L2 in places you spend a lot of time like malls, movie theaters, restaurants, and workplaces. This thread is about price increases on EA (also EVGo announced price increases). My point was that for most people the majority of the time folks should be home charging. DCFC ought to be used while traveling, and until L2 becomes more ubiquitous apartment/renter/condo dwellers.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I swear, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a company with this level of incompetence. I’m avoiding EA as much as possible at this point. I don’t trust their chargers at all. Fortunately there are enough ChargePoint and EVgo chargers around here that I don’t have to totally rely on EA.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Detroit Edison is $0.17 per kWh non-time of use where we are. The time of use plan is $0.11 overnight but $0.24 peak. If you switch to that plan and prove you’ve bought a BEV and installed a home charger, they give a $500 credit. Feeling pretty lucky compared to some of the rates reported! Then again, a friend in TX says his TOU low rate is $6.7 per kWh (provided the grid doesn’t fall over).

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I swear, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a company with this level of incompetence. I’m avoiding EA as much as possible at this point. I don’t trust their chargers at all. Fortunately there are enough ChargePoint and EVgo chargers around here that I don’t have to totally rely on EA.
I guess you like paying more for charging if you will use Chargepoint and EVGO, what a silly comment.

For example every EVGO station I have pulled up to had a rate of 0.59/kWh plus a $2 session fee. 0.36/kWh and $4/month sounds like a much better deal to me, and also charger availability on EA is 2X of EVGO and Chargepoint combined even if you consider a few broken chargers.

Last edited:

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Still affordable....at least with CALIFORNIA gas prices
Frustratingly, California has raised electric prices enough in the last couple years that the gap between EV and gas has diminished a lot, unless you have solar. For example, my Tesla app says I saved $108 in the last 30 days with 580 kWh charged in my Model X. But they are comparing it to a "comparable" gas car and a gas price of $4.77 per gallon. It's simply not that high in the LA area anymore. This $108 also includes 9% of free charging and only 11% Supercharging.

I have a Model Y too that has saved around $66 on 244 kWh charged in the same 30 day period. No free charging and no Supercharging on that one.

Are you experiencing a similar situation or are you gas prices high enough yet that it's still more EV weighted? 2 years ago it was much, much cheaper to operate an EV in SoCal anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited: