huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Thank for the tip about Field Station Moab. Just cancelled a four night reservaion at the Element and booked Field Station for a road trip we're taking to northern AZ/western CO/eastern UT in July. My kind of a place, plus way cheaper, and I like the six EV chargers on site.
Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I called the # listed, they said we must email [email protected] to voice our complaint / concern, which I've now done. I also reached out to ChargePoint.
I've had a couple email exchanges with RMP today. Highlights: "Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, the ChargePoint chargers at the Rocky Mountain Power service office require costly repairs that are outside the warranty. That, combined with company plans to install chargers in Moab next summer, there are no plans to repair the chargers. I apologize for the inconvenience. Because Moab is in a charger desert, it is a priority in the EV Infrastructure program, but it will be next summer before those chargers are available."

I replied asking for details of the Moab chargers next summer, and RMP simply sent me this link, which is a similar article provided by the OP, but slightly different https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/05/17/ev-charging-may-be-coming-main/

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
Thank for the tip about Field Station Moab. Just cancelled a four night reservaion at the Element and booked Field Station for a road trip we're taking to northern AZ/western CO/eastern UT in July. My kind of a place, plus way cheaper, and I like the six EV chargers on site.

Element Hotel in Moab has multiple EV chargers. Visible from US191 and also mentioned on their website https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/cnyel-element-moab/overview/

I didn't see any info on the Field Station Moab website. LMK if I overlooked...

Time is now for hotels to realize providing EV charging stations is a competitive advantage-- and should be easy-to-find info on the hotel's amenities list.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rocky Mtn Poser has a terrible track record! RMP received a substantial financial award to install DC charging, but did nothing to maintain the ChargePoint hardware. Its been offline for months! I hope EA has better success working with RMP to maintain deployed sites.

Plugshare notes for the Moab UT location: "... Note 4/24/23 - DCFC is not operational. RMP stated that they will not be fixing it."

"ChargePoint DC charger has been decommissioned for almost 18 months and is now wrapped in plastic. Rocky Mountain Power / Pacific Power Corp EV hotline can be reached at 800-625-6078 to submit a complaint. The attached meter number is 78 405 624 Let’s generate enough noise to see them reactivate this charger; as it is the ONLY non-Tesla DC charger in Moab!!" 3/3/2023
My first thought with this press release is they decided to skip fixing the chargepoint chargers for whatever reason knowing they would be doing this.... which the post below suggests too.

I've had a couple email exchanges with RMP today. Highlights: "Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, the ChargePoint chargers at the Rocky Mountain Power service office require costly repairs that are outside the warranty. That, combined with company plans to install chargers in Moab next summer, there are no plans to repair the chargers. I apologize for the inconvenience. Because Moab is in a charger desert, it is a priority in the EV Infrastructure program, but it will be next summer before those chargers are available."

I replied asking for details of the Moab chargers next summer, and RMP simply sent me this link, which is a similar article provided by the OP, but slightly different https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/05/17/ev-charging-may-be-coming-main/

Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

Thanks for following up with them. Was hoping it would be early 2024 (trip planned for end of March)... but looks like I'm outta luck. Might need to re-think that trip if charging in Moab is that problematic...

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Supplied Rivian with the charging stations available at the Grand Canyon South Rim months ago. Level 2’s and Tesla’s. Still not available in the NAV. Also seems the South Rim would be a great place for a RAN station.
Construction on the EA site in Grand Canyon Village has already started.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the update. Do you have a location?
450 AZ-64, Grand Canyon Village, there is a photo of the construction start on Plugshare, the bases for the pedestals are in.

Rivian R1T R1S Electrify America installing stations in Moab starting 2024 1684544903397

Galluprivian

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Teacher
It would be great if someone could put in a fast charger in Cortez, CO. Making the trip up from I-40 is tough. There are two in Durango but that's not exactly on the way.

Sponsored

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
There's probably a big advantage to being the first charging station in an area (Tesla), before large electrical upgrades are needed. I just noticed there's two supercharger locations in Moab now. Hopefully one of them will get upgraded with the magic dock!
One of those SC stations is brand new so it would have had the magic dock if it was meant to have it. I don’t think Tesla retrofits stations with the magic dock.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
It would be great if someone could put in a fast charger in Cortez, CO. Making the trip up from I-40 is tough. There are two in Durango but that's not exactly on the way.
You can make it from Gallup to Moab without charging as there is substantial elevation loss from Monticello to Moab and most of the drive is along 60 mph roads. If you have range anxiety you can get a charge at the free station in Monticello that does about 80 kw if no one else is on the other unit.

Galluprivian

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Teacher
You can make it from Gallup to Moab without charging as there is substantial elevation loss from Monticello to Moab and most of the drive is along 60 mph roads. If you have range anxiety you can get a charge at the free station in Monticello that does about 80 kw if no one else is on the other unit.
I think you are misusing the term 'range anxiety'. That's when you are very likely to make it but are still worried. Gallup is 250 miles from Moab. It is a 2000 foot elevation difference. The drive from Gallup to Cortez has posted speeds of 65 mph but most people go faster than that because you can see to the horizon and there is nobody out there. Throw in some wind and the fact that I'm not going to Moab without mountain bikes and I'm not likely to even make it to Monticello. Which brings me back to my point: it would be nice to have a fast charger in Cortez. Consider the trip back: charge to a 100% in Moab, now you're going up 2000 feet and the only available charger worth a damn is in Monticello which is 40 miles away. This doesn't make for a good trip.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I did confirm with field station Moab they have chargers, 6 'universal' with tesla across the street (so assuming they have 6 J1772).

Dead horse point state park is booking pretty far out these days but we did get a reservation for there in october. We have charged at a couple other RV parks in Moab when staying there, they are really more of a guarantee than a hotel since you are booking the specific 'charger' (RV spot). Not that RV campgrounds are my favorite to stay in... but that's the compromise right now. Stay in an RV park and you don't have to worry about range (as long as you can get there).

alextakesphotos

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / 911
I did confirm with field station Moab they have chargers, 6 'universal' with tesla across the street (so assuming they have 6 J1772).
I wonder why they dont come up on plugshare. Also across the street seems a weird location description...
Sponsored