Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Anyone know or care to guess what problems the Rivian has if you go into water that's too deep?
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I recall Either RJ or the lead design engineer (name escapes me) say buoyancy/ loss of traction becomes the issue with depth over the rated height. I am not sure if it would completely float before water intrusion became an issue or not. Are you thinking of taking a shortcut across lake Michigan?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I recall Either RJ or the lead design engineer (name escapes me) say buoyancy/ loss of traction becomes the issue with depth over the rated height. I am not sure if it would completely float before water intrusion became an issue or not. Are you thinking of taking a shortcut across lake Michigan?
Debating registering my R1T as a watercraft just to beat all the cybertruck people to the punch. As far as I can tell, there's no actual requirement to be seaworthy.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I wonder where the cab vent is located go over that point and water will come in for sure. I think its the vent behind the back seat that links into the gear tunnel right? Also the door handles are vented to cab so they can be hated so go under that water will come in the door panels I assume.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wonder where the cab vent is located go over that point and water will come in for sure. I think its the vent behind the back seat that links into the gear tunnel right? Also the door handles are vented to cab so they can be hated so go under that water will come in the door panels I assume.
Cab vent is above the gear tunnel, in the cubby where the power tonneau goes. Fresh air intake is at the base of the windshield.

Good call on the door handles too. Those are probably one of the first concerns if you're not trying to pretend the vehicle is actually a boat.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Cab vent is above the gear tunnel, in the cubby where the power tonneau goes. Fresh air intake is at the base of the windshield.

Good call on the door handles too.
Tape the handles and climb in dukes of hazard style.
Sponsored