Factory Front PPF Re-installation delaying delivery

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
I was scheduled to pick-up my R1S tomorrow at the PDX SC when I was told there is an issue with the Hood PPF and they are delaying until it is fixed. From the delivery team member, it sounded like they are contracting with a 3rd party installer to fix to hood PPF and would delay delivery by at least 1 week. Anyone have a similar experience?
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Whatever the issue is, hopefully it is fixed to an acceptable level. My PPF on the gear tunnel doors were replaced and still started peeling and not centered correctly. Then they trimmed it back and it looks like a terrible hack job.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Whatever the issue is, hopefully it is fixed to an acceptable level. My PPF on the gear tunnel doors were replaced and still started peeling and not centered correctly. Then they trimmed it back and it looks like a terrible hack job.
Yeah the factory tunnel door and Front PPF have both been disappointing, mine started peeling within a month. IMO if you don't wrap the edges it's not really worth the $$$$.

OP
OP

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
Sorry to hear that. Did the SC do the trim or another installer?

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Yeah the factory tunnel door and Front PPF have both been disappointing, mine started peeling within a month. IMO if you don't wrap the edges it's not really worth the $$$$.
My 5 cents - it's about proper installation and edge treatment, rather than wrapping the edges. My car has tons of PPF without edge wrapping and it's still perfect after almost 2 years, countless car washes and what not (close to 20k miles too). But you do have to take your time with installation. The folks in the factory or the delivery center who install these don't go the extra mile of treating the edges so they don't peel off.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

My 5 cents - it's about proper installation and edge treatment, rather than wrapping the edges. My car has tons of PPF without edge wrapping and it's still perfect after almost 2 years, countless car washes and what not (close to 20k miles too). But you do have to take your time with installation. The folks in the factory or the delivery center who install these don't go the extra mile of treating the edges so they don't peel off.
Agree, with PPF, Rivian optimized for efficiency/cost and not quality/durability. Stencils are fine, and the only option for DIY, however the margin they leave uncovered inevitably becomes a trap for dust/dirt. Indeed, extra care is needed to keep it from peeling!
Sponsored