Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
My wife and I just got back from a 5 day camping trip in Colorado. We stayed two nights outside of Fruita, one night at Blue Mesa Reservoir, and one night at the Royal Gorge. Overall it was a fantastic trip. The R1T is by far the best camping vehicle we have ever owned (previous vehicles include FJ Cruiser, Dodge Ram, Q7, Allroad). This was also the first time we used a Roof Top Tent. We have the iKamper X-Cover 2.0 Mini.

Total mileage was about 750 miles. We charged 4 times over the 5 days. EA charger in Edwards, EA charger in Grand Junction, RAN in Montrose, and RAN in Salida. Total cost was less than $50 (RAN chargers were free obviously) and we only spent about 18-25 minutes charging at each stop. No issues with charging.

While camping we left the R1T in normal mode during the day, and turned on the sleep mode at night to save energy. We also used a Blackstone 17" electric griddle and several other electric appliances (toaster, kettle). We saw about 1-2% of battery drain each day which was less than expected considering our usage.

The Blackstone griddle is highly recommended. It served extremely well as a do everything cook top. We cook burgers, filet, bacon, eggs, asparagus, mushrooms, fried polenta, and more. It was also very easy to clean up, and required no additional cookware.

This was also the first time using the Dometic water pump and jugs. This was a really nice way of having water easily accessible for washing items or filling water bottles. We simply stored a couple of jugs in the gear tunnel and placed the pump on the door for easy access.

The focus of our trip was mountain biking which we were able to get in rides every day. We can't wait to get back out with the R1T and already have camping plans for this coming weekend.

IMG_6105.jpeg

IMG_6107.jpeg

IMG_6113.jpeg

IMG_6114.jpeg

IMG_6117.jpeg

IMG_6131.jpeg

IMG_6130.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg

IMG_6159.jpeg
IMG_6160.jpeg
IMG_6166.jpeg
Great for you! Perhaps a dumb question - you were able to use a 1600w griddle even though (I thought) the max wattage out of the plug is 1500? Please discuss when convenient.

We have slept in the Rivian ahead of a few storms and I am just about to put my rooftop tent up for the season (in the winter it was only two sleeping over night in the S and that was good).

Right now we are using some random hotplate that works fine (but obviously not a griddle) that has like 800w draw (if draw is the correct term).
Sponsored

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Great for you! Perhaps a dumb question - you were able to use a 1600w griddle even though (I thought) the max wattage out of the plug is 1500? Please discuss when convenient.

We have slept in the Rivian ahead of a few storms and I am just about to put my rooftop tent up for the season (in the winter it was only two sleeping over night in the S and that was good).

Right now we are using some random hotplate that works fine (but obviously not a griddle) that has like 800w draw (if draw is the correct term).
Blackstone has two electric griddles, the 17" and 22". We are using the 17" which is rated at 1500W max. So we never had a problem with tripping the outlet.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Now I am going to have to go down the rabbit hole of the X-Cover RTT. I was all set to go with the iKamper mini 3.0 but now seeing your set up with bikes on top has me thinking (especially since i have 1up racks on my soon to be traded in Jeep). Is it tricky actually loading and unloading bikes due to height?
It's tricky to load/unload with one person, but with two people it's not bad. I typically stand on the tailgate while my wife hands me a bike. Then she steps onto the gear tunnel door to secure the front while I'm securing the rear wheel.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Great write up and thanks for sharing! Looking forward to similar trips.
The xcover mini seems like a great rtt and one I was seriously considering. I ended up with the condor overland + their cargo crossbars. The nice thing about this setup is the crossbar height just clears the top of the cab which allows for longer items to go up on top like a SUP.
Rivian R1T R1S First Camping Trip in the R1T and our iKamper RTT (and first time using RAN) SUP Rack.JPEG

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
This thread is great. We just bought a place in Durango, CO and I'll be moving there full-time in a few years. Waiting until then to get an RTT (I think, lol) but had the same thought about putting the bikes on top. But where to put the SUP's, then?! (kinda serious). This is why for trips where we would bring both, might have to use a hitch bike rack as I would think on top of the cab is not a great option for anything. We put the SUP and kayak on the top of the cab now for 45 min drive to "local" reservoir. Surprisingly, haven't seen that much of a range hit from doing that. No idea why. (see Pic).
Re: camping/cooking...I have a small Coleman propane cook top, but I've been thinking of just going straight to 11 from now on and using the propane-powered rack from the turkey fryer that I have and a cast iron skillet. Not electric, but would be a great cooking option, it's something like this:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ba...rner-outdoor-patio-stove-range/554BPSQ16.html

Rivian R1T R1S First Camping Trip in the R1T and our iKamper RTT (and first time using RAN) IMG_0249

Sponsored

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Great write up and thanks for sharing! Looking forward to similar trips.
The xcover mini seems like a great rtt and one I was seriously considering. I ended up with the condor overland + their cargo crossbars. The nice thing about this setup is the crossbar height just clears the top of the cab which allows for longer items to go up on top like a SUP.
SUP Rack.JPEG
what rack is that on top of the roof nest? that doesn't come with the tent, does it?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
what rack is that on top of the roof nest? that doesn't come with the tent, does it?
It's from Roofnest. Didn't come with tent but ordered at same time when it was on sale for about $129. 50" long ones.
It can be mounted at 2 heights. I have it at the lowest since the board pads added just enough height for a little over an inch clearance over cab. The higher rack mounting adds another inch
https://roofnest.com/product/6-channel-crossbars/

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Very, very jealous. That trip looked amazing. Thanks for the write up.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Looks so funny in camp mode! Was the tailgate too high?
It does look funny. It actually brought the tailgate up to a pretty nice height, it wasn't a problem. I've had the opposite though where it feels like it's at knee height

Beachy RiRi

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Mortgage Broker
nice, we went out to fruita this past weekend. Looks like a fun trip.
E43853DA-D3F0-4875-85A3-579AC1D21146_1_105_c.jpeg
Nice Setup. Your Rakattach swing away bike rack mount was precisely what I was going to suggest to the OP and others considering the +/- of mounting bikes over the RTT. Seems way easier to manage and you still get 100% use of the tailgate in the down position as previously mentioned/desired. I have had the Rakattach for a few years now and love it! Cheers!

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

My wife and I just got back from a 5 day camping trip in Colorado. We stayed two nights outside of Fruita, one night at Blue Mesa Reservoir, and one night at the Royal Gorge. Overall it was a fantastic trip. The R1T is by far the best camping vehicle we have ever owned (previous vehicles include FJ Cruiser, Dodge Ram, Q7, Allroad). This was also the first time we used a Roof Top Tent. We have the iKamper X-Cover 2.0 Mini.

Total mileage was about 750 miles. We charged 4 times over the 5 days. EA charger in Edwards, EA charger in Grand Junction, RAN in Montrose, and RAN in Salida. Total cost was less than $50 (RAN chargers were free obviously) and we only spent about 18-25 minutes charging at each stop. No issues with charging.

While camping we left the R1T in normal mode during the day, and turned on the sleep mode at night to save energy. We also used a Blackstone 17" electric griddle and several other electric appliances (toaster, kettle). We saw about 1-2% of battery drain each day which was less than expected considering our usage.

The Blackstone griddle is highly recommended. It served extremely well as a do everything cook top. We cook burgers, filet, bacon, eggs, asparagus, mushrooms, fried polenta, and more. It was also very easy to clean up, and required no additional cookware.

This was also the first time using the Dometic water pump and jugs. This was a really nice way of having water easily accessible for washing items or filling water bottles. We simply stored a couple of jugs in the gear tunnel and placed the pump on the door for easy access.

The focus of our trip was mountain biking which we were able to get in rides every day. We can't wait to get back out with the R1T and already have camping plans for this coming weekend.

IMG_6105.jpeg

IMG_6107.jpeg

IMG_6113.jpeg

IMG_6114.jpeg

IMG_6117.jpeg

IMG_6131.jpeg

IMG_6130.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg

IMG_6159.jpeg
IMG_6160.jpeg
IMG_6166.jpeg
Maybe a silly question but do you secure all your stuff in the bed or does it slide around while you drive? I am thinking of the cooler, griddle etc.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
It does look funny. It actually brought the tailgate up to a pretty nice height, it wasn't a problem. I've had the opposite though where it feels like it's at knee height
You can control this somewhat by setting the ride height before leveling. If you're in lowest, then all it can do is raise the front or rear. If you're in highest, then it can lower the front or rear. If you're in standard, then it can raise and/or lower both the front an rear.

Regardless, the leveling feature is da bomb, especially when you're using a RTT. This feature alone justifies getting a Rivian.

Maybe a silly question but do you secure all your stuff in the bed or does it slide around while you drive? I am thinking of the cooler, griddle etc.
I have a number of Greenmade bins from Costco. I use as many as necessary to fill the bed, which prevents everything from sliding around. Some bins are empty or nearly so, but you can always think of a use for those extra bins (trash storage, firewood storage, dirty clothes, etc.) so for me this is the easiest way to arrange things.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Our efficiency was about 1.8-2.2 miles / kWh. When driving 75mph it's closer to 1.8 mi/kWh, but on country roads cruising around 65mph it climbs to about 2.2 miles/kWh.
What was your drive mode/height?

We'll be trying RTT with Thule T2 Classic next weekend!
We went to Glacier NP for GTTS Road biking and camping with iKamper Mini 2.0, Thule T2 Classic, and 2 road bikes. Conserve/Low/Stiff gave us average 2.16kW/mi round trip.
Sponsored