First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Unknown, but unlikely is my guess. No one has gotten NEVI funding yet, that’s around 6 months out and it’ll be doled out by individual States at that point (which means potentially 52 different set of requirements ... Governments have zero regard for efficiency).

As it stands now, Magic Docks don’t meet many requirements for NEVI (Like card readers, kWh displays, etc.).

So y’all Tesla haters who say Tesla is just doing this for the subsidies can … well, complete the sentence how you see fit.
You are partly right, I don't care for Tesla but am happy they are doing this for additional charging options. But it has nothing to do with my question. Didn't mean to offend the thin skinned fanboi
Sponsored

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Those are destination chargers, not Superchargers. When you click on that icon, the pop up says Wall Connector, whereas Superchargers will say Supercharger. A very big difference!
Indeed!! My bad. I will look closer next time. Sorry!! Weird that it is the only icon on my map when there are tons of other Tesla destination chargers around my area that don't show up. And they were always open to non-teslas with appropriate adapter to the best of my knowledge. Oh well, we will keep looking. Wish I could filter out those level 2 chargers. Since the "Charge Your Non-Tesla" icon had a big picture of a supercharger on it I assumed that is what they were but now as I look closer there is also a tiny Tesla wall charger image next to it. Oh well. I charge at home for free anyway. But would have been cool. I am sure we will get a magic dock around here sometime. When it does, I will bring popcorn and watch the fur fly when the Ford lightings are taking up 2-3 stall because their charge port is behind the wheel well.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Indeed!! My bad. I will look closer next time. Sorry!! Weird that it is the only icon on my map when there are tons of other Tesla destination chargers around my area that don't show up. And they were always open to non-teslas with appropriate adapter to the best of my knowledge. Oh well, we will keep looking. Wish I could filter out those level 2 chargers. Since the "Charge Your Non-Tesla" icon had a big picture of a supercharger on it I assumed that is what they were but now as I look closer there is also a tiny Tesla wall charger image next to it. Oh well. I charge at home for free anyway. But would have been cool. I am sure we will get a magic dock around here sometime. When it does, I will bring popcorn and watch the fur fly when the Ford lightings are taking up 2-3 stall because their charge port is behind the wheel well.
I saw a video of a Lightning charging at a Magic Dock and it was only taking up one spot, similar to a Rivian. So it does seem to reach, at least at some of the locations (Supercharger stations are not all built the same way).

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The V4 Tesla Superchargers have a taller cabinet and resulting longer cord. They are apparently being installed in Europe right now. Don’t know when they’ll come to the US.
Not SooN 😉

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Great video from @OutofSpecKyle explaining the "bottle neck" of charging on tesla supercharger network

bottle neck is my words not his

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
How are people still suggesting that vehicles should install Tesla connectors at this point? CCS is the standard, period. In 5 years, I will be shocked if Tesla itself isn’t putting CCS on all their vehicles.

Also, it’s the Tesla charging connector. That acronym y’all keep using is absurd and doesn’t exist in the real world. Not a single one of those chargers exists. Period. Stop drinking kool-aid and being someone’s stooge by given legitimacy to a fictional “standard”.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

First reported charging issue. It will be interesting to see if charging issues are common. No idea how much validation Tesla has done with other EVs to make sure they are all compatible.

Much easier to design a charging network to work with a single brand.

I'm guessing this is an issue with the ioniq5's 400V->800V voltage boosting system. I'd expect to see the same problem with an EV6.

Other EV providers could provide NACS plugs. It’s not a locked down connector…. It’s a much better option. Connector is not a monopoly. If a charging network is a monopoly they will break it up.
Adapters are available to go from CCS charger to NACS vehicle. So with a NACS equipped vehicle you have options outside tesla network.
Why would a network operator put a Tesla plug on when Tesla themselves already sells an adapter for their newer vehicles, and is now marketing an upfit for older ones to become compatible with the adapter?

Anyone know if Tesla is getting NEVI funding for these magic adapters? Haven't seen proof yet that a R1T can charge at the 150kwh minimum required for NEVI. I've seen people get the 140s but never 150+
I heard the adapters are limited to 350A so far. Rivian will be really close to hitting that 150kW number with a properly prepared battery. But I also am pretty sure NEVI requires "permanently attached" CCS connectors. The magic dock isn't that.

--
Anyone test out charging a model 3 with the magic dock and the CCS to Tesla adapter yet?

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! 1677851269836

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
I saw a video of a Lightning charging at a Magic Dock and it was only taking up one spot, similar to a Rivian. So it does seem to reach, at least at some of the locations (Supercharger stations are not all built the same way).
The problem is it's one spot over from the intended charging spot, so that shifts all the other ones to the right, and winds up leaving a stall unusable at the end.

I'm with other people here, seems like if they just centered the parking on the stall, it would work much better for every vehicle?

The new V4s with the taller cabinet, longer cables will really improve this as well (since the retrofit on V3s is just the dock/adapter, and the existing cable).

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Anyone test out charging a model 3 with the magic dock and the CCS to Tesla adapter yet?

1677851269836.png
OMG. Hahaha, I'm sure it would ... well it would probably ... OK, someone's definitely going to get injured ...

:CWL:

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I'm guessing this is an issue with the ioniq5's 400V->800V voltage boosting system. I'd expect to see the same problem with an EV6.

Why would a network operator put a Tesla plug on when Tesla themselves already sells an adapter for their newer vehicles, and is now marketing an upfit for older ones to become compatible with the adapter?

I heard the adapters are limited to 350A so far. Rivian will be really close to hitting that 150kW number with a properly prepared battery. But I also am pretty sure NEVI requires "permanently attached" CCS connectors. The magic dock isn't that.

--

1677851269836.png
@omg_tesla saw a peak of 155kw around 40%

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
So when are the next batch of locations going to come out? Or do we have to wait 5 years for those too?

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
So when are the next batch of locations going to come out? Or do we have to wait 5 years for those too?
Something tells me 100x the rate at which RAN network expands. I've yet to be able to use one :(

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

I used the Tesla charger with magic dock in placerville, ca and it worked very well. I peaked at 174kw which is the same If not better then I get at most public chargers even the ones rated at 350kw

it was definitely more expensive, but not by much. Overall would use over EA anytime. I still prefer Evgo and of course RAN (can’t beat free charging).

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I used the Tesla charger with magic dock in placerville, ca and it worked very well. I peaked at 174kw which is the same If not better then I get at most public chargers even the ones rated at 350kw

it was definitely more expensive, but not by much. Overall would use over EA anytime. I still prefer Evgo and of course RAN (can’t beat free charging).
Are they starting to show on the Rivian screen? I assume it's the Prospector's Plaza Supercharger. It shows in plugshare now with CCS. A recent pic is a motorcycle charging on CCS!
Sponsored