Sponsored

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Are they starting to show on the Rivian screen? I assume it's the Prospector's Plaza Supercharger. It shows in plugshare now with CCS. A recent pic is a motorcycle charging on CCS!
No
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I heard the adapters are limited to 350A so far. Rivian will be really close to hitting that 150kW number with a properly prepared battery. But I also am pretty sure NEVI requires "permanently attached" CCS connectors. The magic dock isn't that.
It'll be interesting to see how they deal with that since the funding recommendation from the FHWA is the following:

" Regardless of the operating voltage of the battery, so that EVs are able to receive at least 150 kW per port, FHWA suggests that DCFC connectors be rated with a current carrying capacity of greater than or equal to 375 Amps. Also, FHWA agrees that smart charge management is usually not appropriate for fast charging stations, so reference to it was removed from the DCFC power requirement in this final rule. "

I'm guessing they'll eventually push the magic dock harder than 350A, just like they do with their CCS adapter, but being "rated" at 350A is a bit unfortunate in this situation.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It'll be interesting to see how they deal with that since the funding recommendation from the FHWA is the following:

" Regardless of the operating voltage of the battery, so that EVs are able to receive at least 150 kW per port, FHWA suggests that DCFC connectors be rated with a current carrying capacity of greater than or equal to 375 Amps. Also, FHWA agrees that smart charge management is usually not appropriate for fast charging stations, so reference to it was removed from the DCFC power requirement in this final rule. "

I'm guessing they'll eventually push the magic dock harder than 350A, just like they do with their CCS adapter, but being "rated" at 350A is a bit unfortunate in this situation.
Unfortunately, that is a suggestion from FHWA, not a requirement. ::grumble::

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I used the Tesla charger with magic dock in placerville, ca and it worked very well. I peaked at 174kw which is the same If not better then I get at most public chargers even the ones rated at 350kw

it was definitely more expensive, but not by much. Overall would use over EA anytime. I still prefer Evgo and of course RAN (can’t beat free charging).
174 is great! Before this the highest I had heard about was 155 and thought that was about as high as it would go

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
174 is great! Before this the highest I had heard about was 155 and thought that was about as high as it would go
That is good news, although I'd take 150kW all day long for more locations. The supercharger network would be a great backup for places that only have 50kW "fast" chargers.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately, that is a suggestion from FHWA, not a requirement. ::grumble::
That's generally all they can do, but States will usually be lazy and just follow the suggestions unless they think they have a good reason not to.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
That's generally all they can do, but States will usually be lazy and just follow the suggestions unless they think they have a good reason not to.
They could have promulgated it as part of their regulatory requirements for distribution of all NEVI funds, like they did with the general 150kW minimum. That 150kW minimum could have also specified a minimum amperage. It was even one of the threads of the public comments in response to the proposed rule making. They decided to not require a minimum amperage but to instead leave it as a suggestion.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That sounds like 375A to me. I'd assume Tesla is trying to make their magic dock qualify for the IRA program. Not surprised that they would start lower and go up from there based on data from charging sessions.

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

I hit 198 on RAN charger in Sacramento

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I hit 198 on RAN charger in Sacramento
Sorry, was referring to the magic dock supercharger setup. At RANs I get 215-218 with no more than 2 vehicles charging at a time

Sponsored

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Sorry, was referring to the magic dock supercharger setup. At RANs I get 215-218 with no more than 2 vehicles charging at a time
I have never broken 200, even when Im the only one charging. It might be my vin range? I don't know.

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

I think I got 215 at the sac ran. Maybe your soc?
I was pretty deep into the battery, I doubt it was my state of charge

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
217-ish seems to be the most the R1T will call for, and that rate does not last for long.
Sponsored