Sponsored

FOB battery life is disappointing

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm used to multi-year battery life in FOBs from other brands. I'm surprised and disappointed to discover that I couldn't even get 3 months out of my Rivian FOB.

Rivian R1T R1S FOB battery life is disappointing IMG_4327
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Mine died already too while I was in Canada a few weeks back. For what it's worth on one of my recent service visits they added a "update firmware on key fob and replace battery"

Maybe that means that the old firmware had some efficiency issues?

Interesting that you got a warning, mine just died and I was like what the hell..

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is that the brand of battery in your Rivian FOB? Murata? I've never heard of it. I was expecting Panasonic or similar OEM battery.

Oh well, I've ordered a replacement Energizer CR2450 Lithium for $2.85. Should arrive in a couple days.

The worry for me isn't the cost or hassle of replacement... It's that if you rely on the FOB it would be easy to become stranded, since battery life is so poor, and afaik there is no RFID backup in the FOB.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Is that the brand of battery in your Rivian FOB? Murata? I've never heard of it. I was expecting Panasonic or similar OEM battery.

Oh well, I've ordered a replacement Energizer CR2450 Lithium for $2.85. Should arrive in a couple days.

The worry for me isn't the cost or hassle of replacement... It's that if you rely on the FOB it would be easy to become stranded, since battery life is so poor, and afaik there is no RFID backup in the FOB.
Yeah that is what I pulled out of there. And yes it just died, luckily I had my phone and also carry a key card in my wallet.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Mine came with Energizer, and a spare battery.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Murata is a large electronics firm ($10B+) founded in the 50s or 60s, well known inside the electronics world for making high quality capacitors and other semiconductor/electronic components. They bought Sony's battery division a few years (?) ago.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I'm used to multi-year battery life in FOBs from other brands. I'm surprised and disappointed to discover that I couldn't even get 3 months out of my Rivian FOB.

IMG_4327.jpeg
Mine died already too while I was in Canada a few weeks back. For what it's worth on one of my recent service visits they added a "update firmware on key fob and replace battery"

Maybe that means that the old firmware had some efficiency issues?

Interesting that you got a warning, mine just died and I was like what the hell..
I had the similar update on a recent service visit - they wanted to make sure I brought the fob so that they could check to see if it needed firmware updates since they were killing batteries in the earlier deliveries

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
FWIW it's entirely possible these fobs were manufactured & had batteries inserted a year or more before you took delivery, and have been sitting around waiting for the trucks.

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
FWIW it's entirely possible these fobs were manufactured & had batteries inserted a year or more before you took delivery, and have been sitting around waiting for the trucks.
true. I guess I'll reserve judgement until after I see how long the replacement lasts.

Reactions: Rad

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My march delivery hasn't killed the battery yet, but it has sat in a drawer in my house for most of that time.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

It would be great if Rivian offered an upgraded fob with a rechargeable battery so the fob can be placed on the built-in charging pad or any other Qi-compatible charger to top off the battery. Our Land Rover’s fob has a rechargeable battery which gets charged when the key is in the ignition (I feel like a Luddite typing that) and the vehicle is on.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

It would be great if Rivian offered an upgraded fob with a rechargeable battery so the fob can be placed on the built-in charging pad or any other Qi-compatible charger to top off the battery. Our Land Rover’s fob has a rechargeable battery which gets charged when the key is in the ignition (I feel like a Luddite typing that) and the vehicle is on.
If you could charge it on the charging pad I would forget it on the charging pad. Thief would see the key just out in the open.
Sponsored