Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
Yup. Big ol' yup. Yupski. Yuppers.
Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
XC 90 is a joke. Mild hybrid. LMFAO. Offroad performance is laughable

Look at that pathetic interior.

You're making apples to oranges comparison.

I would rather pick up the base model Rivian R1S with dual motors and regular battery for $78,000 over the XC 90 AWD for $72,095 (Ultimate with air suspension) joke you're suggesting

EQS for couple thousand more is just blowing money for a Mercedes logo so you can flex. Its slower, smaller and played out like a benz is.

Its a Mercedes in 2023. No one gives a shit about that brand anymore. We're no longer in the 1990s
I meant the EX90 not the XC90. The new electric they have.

I have ZERO use for off road performance, so its does not factor in my decision.

As for the interior, the EX90 does not look too bad, again I am not looking for space looks here.

The benz is a bit slower, but again I am going to drag races, but if I want fast I will not be looking into a fast SUV. But the benz rides much more comfortable than the R1T I drove, so a couple thousands more might work the comfort.

My comparison was based on what I am looking for specifically in the R1S, and not what you are looking for.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

I meant the EX90 not the XC90. The new electric they have.

I have ZERO use for off road performance, so its does not factor in my decision.

As for the interior, the EX90 does not look too bad, again I am not looking for space looks here.

The benz is a bit slower, but again I am going to drag races, but if I want fast I will not be looking into a fast SUV. But the benz rides much more comfortable than the R1T I drove, so a couple thousands more might work the comfort.

My comparison was based on what I am looking for specifically in the R1S, and not what you are looking for.
Sounds like you're having to settle and compromise or spend more for an inferior product.

Spending $80,000 on something that doesn't look good it bonkers.

Spending more money on a smaller and slower product for a symbol is bonkers

Enjoy your purchase.

$78,000 for the Rivian R1S is a steal and you'll be hardpressed trying to find a comparable product without making some sort of sacrifice.

Good, fast and cheap.

Pick 2 out of 3.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Sounds like you're having to settle and compromise or spend more for an inferior product.

Spending $80,000 on something that doesn't look good it bonkers.

Spending more money on a smaller and slower product for a symbol is bonkers

Enjoy your purchase.

$78,000 for the Rivian R1S is a steal and you'll be hardpressed trying to find a comparable product without making some sort of sacrifice.

Good, fast and cheap.

Pick 2 out of 3.

That's not the original sentiment either. I am also referring to the original question of the R1S at 100K not 78K.

Looks are subjective, I like the R1S, I do not mind the EX90 that much, and the Mercedes is nice.

From a capacity perspective, 100K for Mercedes isn't that bad compared to 100K for R1S. The size on the inside is not actually extremely terrible, my kids can fit in there for another 10 years.

So yes, R1S at 78K is the best value on the market, but at 100K? Not for I am looking for, the EX90 would do just fine at a lower price point.

Actually, seeing the CX-90 PHEV, I would not mind that either.

Sponsored

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Yes. There simply isn’t anything on the road that’s equivalent.

The F150L competes but not in areas I care about, and the interior is worse.

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I paid 72K for my R1T all in. I'd like to think I would pay the new price, but I would have to downgrade on features, no quad motor or large pack, and no adventure package.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

At either price point, there is no other car in production that has the combo of torque/break vectoring at every corner AND independent air suspension with electro-hydraulic dampers. It’s truly a unique vehicle. Maybe CT will someday rival the R1T, but right now there is just nothing that can match the combo of on-road AND off-road performance—ICE or BEV.

Last edited:

Churrodecoco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
IT Manager
Clubs

Probably not, because there will soon be real alternatives to the R1S that cost much less (such as KIA's EV9). I consider a "real alternative" to be a fully-electric, 3-row SUV that doesn't force significant compromises in utility, storage, range or 3rd-row comfort. In that environment, I don't think I could justify paying the much bigger premium for the R1S. I have to admit, my R1S at original pricing (plus the unqualified, full tax credit for 2022 delivery) feels like a huge steal.
A KIA is not a "real alternative". Just because any electric 3 row would meet your needs, doesn't mean any 3 row SUV is in the R1S class. Similar to gas comparisons, KIA is not in the same class as a Range Rover. The R1S at the original price as you mentioned is an unreal steal.

Churrodecoco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
IT Manager
Clubs

For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
Ignore the fact that it's electric. I have tried to configure any alternative that has all the features the Launch Edition R1S has. You can't. There are exactly 0 vehicles that match all the capabilities. The closest I've been able to get is a V8 Land Rover and even after $100k it still fell short on capabilities, efficiency and warranty. Reading through a lot of the comments here, it feels like a lot of people were "forced" to buy this amazing piece of engineering because it was the only electric SUV option. So to answer your question directly: Yes, absolutely I would.

Sponsored

SherpaDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 C2S Cab, Ridgeline, Dakota SXT, Ram 50, R1T Or
Occupation
Consultant
No, for that money I would probably by a lightly used Ridgeline for Skiing, bikes, etc, and spend the 100k on an EV sedan. We also have a Ridgeline which is a great “life style truck”, and all the toys on it work.

I generally like the R1T, fit/finish is good and Rivian service has been very responsive, but have had a number of issues I would not expect from a 100k new vehicle. Beyond the issues (it is a new company after all) The range was over stated - I would get a max battery if they were available, and my tonneau hasn’t worked since day 1, leaving me with an unusable bed … 5 months in and no new tonneau in sight ….

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The HP/dollar quotient (~9.6 HP/$1k) is still really good with the new pricing. The value is there, but I would likely drop to dual motor and maybe the smaller battery with today’s pricing.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
The HP/dollar quotient (~9.6 HP/$1k) is still really good with the new pricing. The value is there, but I would likely drop to dual motor and maybe the smaller battery with today’s pricing.
I like to look at lbs/hp :) but EVs have so much area under the torque/RPM curve that this number under estimates the performance as compared to most ICE vehicles.

When the price hike was announced I was disappointed but still all-in. This was before I drove an R1T. Now that I own one, I'd buy this vehicle again at the higher price.

But here's the caveat: Rivian needs to get their $hit together with quality and service. This is something I didn't know when considering the higher price.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

After owning R1S LE for 6 days, YES !

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Probably not. But then I just wouldn't be buying any car right now. Everything is ridiculously overpriced and with higher rates I think buying a 90k+ car is just a poor financial decision regardless of your personal finances.
Sponsored