Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
It seems pretty clear to me that Tesla followed the Apple model for developing their business - provide a better user experience by controlling the ecosystem; capture higher profits by leveraging the switching costs of jumping the proprietary moat they’ve created. I would be very surprised if presentations to institutional investors in the early 2010’s didn’t justify the infrastructure investments and choice of proprietary protocols with this kind of justification. They are perfectly entitled to do that (if the government doesn’t force standards for the public good) and I think it’s fair to argue that it’s possible to provide a better user experience within their closed garden. I do think it’s naive or disingenuous to argue that it was due to them ‘having no choice’ or done for altruistic reasons.
Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Tesla's initial supercharger specs were 100kW. I don't dispute that they had chargers of that speed in 2012. I'm disputing your narrative that Tesla was forced to create its own port by SAE's reluctance to do something. The CCS proposal was published before Tesla built a single Model S or supercharger station, and its spec was always for 200kW, literally double Tesla's 100kW spec. "Sufficient charging speed" can't be a reason for CCS not working for Tesla. Wanting a monopoly is the only reason Tesla didn't play with everyone else.
Publishing a standard and actually building a car with a charger port are two different things. To not factor that in is disingenuous. It has been discussed here many times that having an established supply chain is a difficult process. Tesla would have designed its port before the publication of CCS in order to have gone to market in 2012.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Publishing a standard and actually building a car with a charger port are two different things. To not factor that in is disingenuous. It has been discussed here many times that having an established supply chain is a difficult process. Tesla would have designed its port before the publication of CCS in order to have gone to market in 2012.
To ignore that J1772 had been around for years before Tesla had sold a single Roadster, let alone Model S is disingenuous. It’s also disingenuous to suggest that Tesla hasn’t had a decade in which it could have switched to CCS, which was a higher-specced standard, at any point with minimal impact on customers. Model 3 rollout would have been a perfect time to do it.

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
To ignore that J1772 had been around for years before Tesla had sold a single Roadster, let alone Model S is disingenuous. It’s also disingenuous to suggest that Tesla hasn’t had a decade in which it could have switched to CCS, which was a higher-specced standard, at any point with minimal impact on customers. Model 3 rollout would have been a perfect time to do it.
Why would Tesla switch to an obviously interior standard?

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
I've never seen a Tesla catch fire at a supercharger.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port 20230606_070718

I don't know if CCS was the reason but I hope Rivian gets to the bottom of it soon.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
I don't know if CCS was the reason but I hope Rivian gets to the bottom of it soon.
a - pretty bizarre situation and I suspect we won't know the culprit for months if ever

b - related to temperatures on the female plug or the male connector, is it part of the CCS1 spec that they have temp sensors built-in and monitored? Hopefully part of the CCS1 spec. If NOT then how to know which brands take this precaution? Even EA has multiple brands of chargers AFAIK.

c) the Tesla male connector has temp sensors [graphic below via spec] and slows down the kW rate if something is "overheating" (which could be normal depending on the situation AZ summer road trip on black asphalt arriving with low SOC (5%) and getting max kW draw for X minutes)

d) wonder if the Tesla brand CCS1 adapter has this monitor as well

e) Tesla (V3?) Supercharger handles liquid cooled per patent ("The automaker applied for the patent in March 2019, around the time it presented its Supercharger V3 technology")
https://electrek.co/2019/09/30/tesla-patents-liquid-cooled-charging-connector/

f) are temperature management and monitoring a big PLUS for having a native NACS plug like Ford is planning on doing in their next-gen cars?

Tesla v3 supercharger FLIR testing from several years ago:
At 3:40 are some specific test for the handle

Sensor built-in:
Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port zqX7prW

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unpossible. In Europe, Tesla is using the failproof CCS connector, so fires cannot happen ;P
Unfortunately for the narrative, the video is from 2016, when they were still using their own proprietary port. ;)

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

20230606_070718.jpg

It happens do a search, there was a Model S that caught fire in Belgium and a Supercharger in FL that caught fire during a charge session. There is also a story about one of their model trailers that caught fire as well.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer