Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Ford has struck a deal to have what customers see as a competitive advantage.

Would anyone be surprised if Ford paid Tesla a premium to have a unique privilege of this integration for a contracted for period of time?
Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

The other factor here will be seeing if the Superchargers retain their reliability when serving multiple brands. I have to imagine some of the issues EA faces is the different integrations but perhaps not.

Either way I'd happily buy an adapter since the magic doc was handy but would try to plug in at EA first if they were side by side.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Would anyone be surprised if Ford paid Tesla a premium to have a unique privilege of this integration for a contracted for period of time?
I would not be surprised but I also wouldn't expect Ford/Tesla to agree on whatever this price is so seems unlikely.

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
But no photo of how long the cord on this adapter is?
Curious to see when this rolls out if they are at all interchangeable between different Fords or different brands.

Magic doc worked nicely on my last trip but I still wish they would just sell an overpriced adapter to anyone that wants one and let the chaos begin.
I bought an adapter on Amazon and was told now that I canā€™t use it or it wouldā€™nt work after I paid $150. Very frustrating when yourā€™re looking for chargers and all you
see is Teslas charge stations everywhere if youā€™re traveling or in a town that has nothing else to offer..

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Bigger win for Ford. Rivian should have done the same

They still could, heck, if they make it to the R2 platform, maybe THAT will adapt the NACS spec.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
They still could, heck, if they make it to the R2 platform, maybe THAT will adapt the NACS spec.
True true. When NACS was "introduced", I was saying that the smart ones would add a NACS port on their EV that's compatible with Tesla SC. That's the fastest way to get access to great infrastructure

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
If Tesla is charging Ford for access, that may not qualify for the Federal grants. It seems it needs to be a truly open standard. Not a pay for access scenario controlled by one company.

If Tesla truly opens access to anyone with an adapter, that could be big news. Otherwise it still feels like CCS will win in the long run because it remains truly open. Automakers would be foolish to pay for access to a standard controlled by a competitor. It may be a win in the short term, but that could be huge negative impact in the long run. They would be stuck always paying Tesla a premium. Imagine paying for access to standard gas pumps. CCS has way more companies building chargers that will eventually overtake Tesla in the number of stations. Colorado already has way more CCS plugs than Tesla plugs as an example.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
The existing ccs port is pathetic.
I have the Tesla CCS adapter, and it's pretty comical, the Tesla plug on one side about the side of a screwdriver handle - the CCS port on the other side is like a steam iron ...

Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, Iā€™m at 10 carsā€¦
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

On second thought this is good for Rivian owners. All those Mach E and Lightnings can use the SC and leave the CCS slots open for us :like:
That actually raises an interesting point. I see a bunch of lightnings on the road, but I have never seen one at an EA charger. But I see Rivians at EA all the time. Do lightning owners not know how to adventure?

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, Iā€™m at 10 carsā€¦
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Way fewer Tesla stations than CCS vehicles.
Yeah, but you offer an adapter and then make owners pay for it, rather than you having to build it out.

I see it as a win for EVs as Ford customers will have zero range anxiety just like Tesla owners. Thus forward EV adoption. RANs are great but are too sparse. If RJ follows Ford, Rivian can stop RAN deployment, save millions, become profitable sooner and help R1T/R1S owners.
Exactlyā€” regardless of whether or not they do this, it seems silly to be investing time and money into RAN. Let other companies build the chargers.

Iā€™m 10/10 for charging success at EA. Driving from Maine to New Mexico in July, weā€™ll see if that holds true!

Reactions: MDH

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
If Ford is paying for access, what happens if they get into a disagreement with Tesla and Tesla cuts them off? Itā€™s like a cable company cutting off access to a station if the donā€™t like the terms of their contract renewal.

Unless Ford get free access (outside of customers paying for electricity) Iā€™m not sure this will end well.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If Ford is paying for access, what happens if they get into a disagreement with Tesla and Tesla cuts them off? Itā€™s like a cable company cutting off access to a station if the donā€™t like the terms of their contract renewal.

Unless Ford get free access (outside of customers paying for electricity) Iā€™m not sure this will end well.
If Tesla's government funding from NEVI is contingent on another auto manufacturer using the Tesla plug, then I would not be surprised if Tesla is actually paying Ford for this move. They stand to miss out on a LOT of free money otherwise.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If Tesla's government funding from NEVI is contingent on another auto manufacturer using the Tesla plug, then I would not be surprised if Tesla is actually paying Ford for this move. They stand to miss out on a LOT of free money otherwise.
Itā€™s not that much money and NEVI funding is highly competitive, so thereā€™s no assurance that Tesla would get money even if they open up the network
Sponsored