Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Just a few thoughts/questions I have..

1. I generally like this but how will it impact Magic Dock adoption?
2. This is a slap in EA’s face and they deserve it.
3. How much of the automotive landscape would NACS have to support in order to keep federal grants for new stations?
4. Seems to me that Tesla could just make a software update and sell NACS to CCS adapters and instantly have a huge market. I know I’d use them simple because everyone else is so bad.
Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
The NACS Tesla plug is obviously what the standard should be. Rivian should offer it.

Heck I see no reason why there can't be BOTH connections on the car until it's all sorted out.

Rivian should definitely take Tesla up on this deal and build the RAN network with NACS plugs too.
Interesting! In the northeast, when I’m charging between Maine and NYC, there’s always at least one other Rivian, often more. I’d rank the popularity of vehicles at charging stations that I’ve come across, in order:
  1. Kia EV6/Hyundai Ioniq
  2. VW ID4
  3. Rivian
  4. Taycan
  5. Mach-E
My office overlooks the EA chargers in Alexandria, VA. I see a wide mix of vehicles. I agree with 1 & 2. We also see quite a few Rivian's, Taycans, Lucid's, BMW's, Mercedes and Mach-E. I see a handful of Lightnings, but definitely more Rivian's than Lightnings here.

RE the Ford News..
  1. If Ford goes ahead and completely replaces the CCS in its next gen vehicles that will be interesting. That's how I read their statement.
  2. Ford obviously did market research and found fear of charging is holding many ICE owners back from buying an EV. (whether founded our not, this is the impression non EV drivers have)
  3. What's Tesla getting out of this other than helping out a competitor and established OEM?
  4. Tesla owners are going to be pissed having to share chargers with Ford drivers. Tesla will need a lot more chargers.
  5. I think the CCS charging landscape will look much different in 2025-26.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

2. This is a slap in EA’s face and they deserve it.
I believe the networks are completely able to use the Tesla connectors now, but it would only work with vehicles that understand the CCS signaling. I don't think it would do anything to improve reliability and just add additional liability that older Tesla vehicles still wouldn't be able to use them.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1. If Ford goes ahead and completely replaces the CCS in its next gen vehicles that will be interesting. That's how I read their statement.
  2. Ford obviously did market research and found fear of charging is holding many ICE owners back from buying an EV. (whether founded our not, this is the impression non EV drivers have)
People have said that on the spaces call, it was pretty obvious that the Tesla ports were planned to be supplemental instead of a complete replacement. Honestly I think this is the wise thing to do because their current customers might be used to stopping at particular CCS stations. Then, you don't have to rely on an adapter that can get misplaced, forgotten, or broken.

It would also allow Ford to put the Tesla port in the same place on the vehicle that Tesla does while retaining their current position if that's what they want to do.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
It's important to separate the NACS standard from Tesla Superchargers.

1) To me, it's a no brainer for Rivian to switch to NACS if Telsa will work with them to allow an adapter to work at Superchargers. Having used both CCS and NACS connectors, it's basically unquestionable to me that NACS is superior.
2) Rivian should continue to build out RAN in locations where Superchargers are less likely to be installed; however, they should switch to the NACS connector.
3) I think it's a mistake for Rivian to rely on the Supercharger network as the only source of charging. Tesla controls that in a way that could be detrimental under the right circumstances in a way that they no longer control NACS (since it is now an open standard).

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
1. I don't want Rivian to build in an NACS port into their cars. CCS is the industry standard that's not unilaterally controlled by one company, i.e Tesla.

2. Yes, I think Rivian should encourage Tesla to release an NACS-to-CCS adapter that works for all Rivians, and really all EVs.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
When Ford releases the next gen F-150 lightning and Ranger Lightning with the NACS plug this is going to be HUGE.
If Ford goes ahead and completely replaces the CCS in its next gen vehicles that will be interesting. That's how I read their statement.
People have said that on the spaces call, it was pretty obvious that the Tesla ports were planned to be supplemental instead of a complete replacement.

It would also allow Ford to put the Tesla port in the same place on the vehicle that Tesla does while retaining their current position if that's what they want to do.
Re: both inlets is still up in the air -- see below

Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port Tesla Supercharging switching.PNG

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
Tesla will need a lot more chargers.
Below is from yesterday and the previous day.
9 with 8 stalls (plugs)
4 with 12 stalls (plugs)
2 with 16 stalls (plugs)
1 with 20 stalls (plugs)
2 with 32 stalls (plugs)
1 with 40 stalls (plugs)

Crowdsources Tesla Supercharger changes/adds/updates --> supercharge.info

Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port 8iUR3X3

Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port 2LhM9e6

Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port utxHNTy

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Re: both inlets is still up in the air -- see below

Tesla Supercharging switching.PNG
Her confidence says to me that this is more of a trial period than a commitment.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
1. I don't want Rivian to build in an NACS port into their cars. CCS is the industry standard that's not unilaterally controlled by one company, i.e Tesla.

2. Yes, I think Rivian should encourage Tesla to release an NACS-to-CCS adapter that works for all Rivians, and really all EVs.
That's the Magic Dock.
Built into Tesla Superchargers. Rolling out nationwide.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Her confidence says to me that this is more of a trial period than a commitment.
Agreed. Two years is a long time in the EV world. The charging landscape could really change by 2025 now that a lot of money is being thrown at the problem. Why put all of your eggs in one basket with Tesla especially when they still unilaterally control the NACS standard and access for the moment.

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
It's important to separate the NACS standard from Tesla Superchargers.

1) To me, it's a no brainer for Rivian to switch to NACS if Telsa will work with them to allow an adapter to work at Superchargers. Having used both CCS and NACS connectors, it's basically unquestionable to me that NACS is superior.
2) Rivian should continue to build out RAN in locations where Superchargers are less likely to be installed; however, they should switch to the NACS connector.
3) I think it's a mistake for Rivian to rely on the Supercharger network as the only source of charging. Tesla controls that in a way that could be detrimental under the right circumstances in a way that they no longer control NACS (since it is now an open standard).
I agree 1000% with this. Tesla should sell an adapter as well.

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
How can I, as a R1S reservation holder, lobby Rivian to offer NACS? Our family really wants the Tesla experience for our Rivian.

With Ford announcement, it looks even more certain the future of CCS is a slow death.

Look at it differently; how many well funded elephants in the room are deeply passionate about CCS and investing billions every year in it? No one. There isn’t a business that exists that really depends on CCS succeeding. And as a result; no one really seems to care if it fails

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
If there is going to be an adaptor for Ford why would that adapter not work for every other CCS? You can charge on a Magic Dock charger now, so no software integration required. I see this as a sign all CCS cars will be able to use SC network soon via an adapter and pay via the Tesla app
My guess is that it won't be the adapter that will be the gatekeeper, it will be the payment system(s).

Ford has struck a deal to have what customers see as a competitive advantage.

Would anyone be surprised if Ford paid Tesla a premium to have a unique privilege of this integration for a contracted for period of time?
I would. Federal laws won't permit it. What they offered to Ford they will need to offer to others. For example, it's the same way at the grocery stores. Grocery stores can't offer a deal to one producer that they don't offer to everyone.
Sponsored