Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I'd love to see Munro actually do a full cost breakdown for the top 10 non-Tesla EVs compared to the Tesla ones for the charging circuitry including all the wiring in the cars.
Yes, it’d be interesting.

When people say “NACS” is cheaper, they’re almost always just regurgitating what they read online, most often from Tesla fanboys. And most often just referring to the physical plug only, not what comes before it or after it
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'd love to see Munro actually do a full cost breakdown for the top 10 non-Tesla EVs compared to the Tesla ones for the charging circuitry including all the wiring in the cars.
Have you done a patent search to make sure tesla doesn't have a patent on the ac/dc switching circuit for EV charging.

Physical cost comparison is only one part of the actual cost. There would also be more nre for developing the circut after licensing. Then testing, potentially certification if tesla wanted each design certified before opening them up to SC infrastructure.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
And just to be clear there is also only one set of installed cables on CCS too. For AC Level 1/2, only cables installed are the ac pins. For DC, only the dc pin cables are installed (except for communications wire, which is there for any plug type)

No CCS cable has simultaneously both AC AND DC cables installed. One or the other
We're talking about the car.
NACS has ONE set of power cables inside the car. (BTW, also in the cable to the car from the charge station)
CCS has TWO sets of power cables inside the car. One for AC, another for DC. This is expensive (as stated in the Munro video).

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
NACS has ONE set of power cables inside the car. (BTW, also in the cable to the car from the charge station)
CCS has TWO sets of power cables inside the car. One for AC, another for DC. This is expensive (as stated in the Munro video).
It’s not. Once it goes past the AC to DC inverter inside of a CCS car, it’s all the same. After this point, there is a single line of cable for power (not two).

Again, Tesla cars have to determine which sort of current is going down its wire, before it sends the current to AC/DC inverter first or straight ahead to battery. You cannot mix the two. This added logic comes from added circuitry, which is costly too.

Edit: furthermore, there are actual advantages to this CCS setup, including more straightforward implementation of V2H, V2G solutions

Last edited:

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
It’s not. Once it goes past the AC to DC inverter inside of a CCS car, it’s all the same.

Again, Tesla cars have to determine which sort of current is going down its wire. You cannot mix the two. This added logic comes from added circuitry, which is costly too.
CCS needs TWO sets of power cables inside the car. One set to the battery. Another set to the inverter. This costs money.
Tesla only has ONE set of power cables connected to both the inverter/charger and the battery. This saves money. No additional wires or circuits. They're connected in parallel.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
CCS needs TWO sets of power cables inside the car. One set to the battery. Another set to the inverter. This costs money.
Tesla only has ONE set of power cables connected to both the inverter/charger and the battery. This saves money. No additional wires or circuits. They're connected in parallel.
Okay, officially on the ignore list. Can’t reason with stupid

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
From reading some of your responses in here, it appears that you are well inexperienced with capital accounting amongst other things. There is a lot more that goes into installing a charging station than the initial cost.
Please enlighten us with your knowledge of capital accounting. That ought to be pretty good.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Okay, officially on the ignore list. Can’t reason with stupid
Surprised it took you that long. Seems like that person just likes arguing with the goal of trying to upset people. Intentionally misunderstood my argument several pages ago after spelling it out for them. Now they're using what they acted like they didn't understand as an argument against you.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
It’s not. Once it goes past the AC to DC inverter inside of a CCS car, it’s all the same. After this point, there is a single line of cable for power (not two).

Again, Tesla cars have to determine which sort of current is going down its wire, before it sends the current to AC/DC inverter first or straight ahead to battery. You cannot mix the two. This added logic comes from added circuitry, which is costly too.

Edit: furthermore, there are actual advantages to this CCS setup, including more straightforward implementation of V2H, V2G solutions
I'll be interested if Ford maintains the V2H capability of the F150 if it switches to the NACS plug. Tesla seems to have no interest in V2H or V2G because it competes with their battery storage business. So it might be tricky to implement.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I'll be interested if Ford maintains the V2H capability of the F150 if it switches to the NACS plug. Tesla seems to have no interest in V2H or V2G because it competes with their battery storage business. So it might be tricky to implement.
There are no indications yet whether Ford will keep both NACS and CCS or do the entire replacement.

There are also no indications whether Ford is contractually obligated to follow through. To me, the announcement seemed like a soft agreement at best.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
OK, after reading all 24 pages and viewing the Munro video (most of it anyway), I'm convinced this is an important issue. I don't think I've seen another subject get as many responses as quickly. The level of passion of many of the responses is also pretty impressive.

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
There are no indications yet whether Ford will keep both NACS and CCS or do the entire replacement.

There are also no indications whether Ford is contractually obligated to follow through. To me, the announcement seemed like a soft agreement at best.
Yep just like when Ford invested in Rivian. They are just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
What is wrong with having AC and DC on the same pins?

The current doesn't flow until the handshake from plug to car is made.
A single fault in the car results in an AC to Dc short. CCS is fail-safe.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
CCS is fail-safe, NACS is not. Munro is an idiot for not recognizing this.
Sponsored