First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I have a May 19, 2021 (Day 1) Lightning Reservation as a backup plan to Rivian, although I don't plan on buying the Ford unless Rivian completely drops the ball. I have had zero communication from the Ford dealer until today when I got the email below from the "Internet Representative" at the dealer. Uhhh, I received no 1st attempt email, phone call, carrier pigeon or smoke signal from you, dude. So all things considered, maybe Rivian isn't doing such a bad job?

"This is the 2nd attempt of trying to find out which Lightning Trim level you are interested in? Ford is collecting the information to complete as many orders as possible. If you need pricing please go to Ford ..com to see current pricing. Please choose from the list below. Thank you!

Pro 110 A Standard Battery
XLT 311 A Standard Battery
XLT 312 A Standard Battery
XLT 312 A Extended Battery
Lariat 510 A Standard Battery
Lariat 511 A Extended Battery
Platinum 710 A Extended Battery"
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Wow, I've had the polar-opposite experience.
Also a day-1 reservation, and now a MY22 Lightning Lariat-ER order holder with "Fall" delivery.

Frequent emails from my chosen dealership (Kearny Mesa Ford in San Diego)
Reasonably frequent emails (mostly marketing) from Ford about the Lightning
I do not yet have a Production date on the Ford personalized order tracker sys.

Have it in writing (email) from dealer Internet Sales Mgr. that price will be MSRP only and they do not pre-install those "dealer options" that artificially inflate the price above it. Even said if Ford decides to allow plans (A, X, etc) they will honor that too. Hope so. I have an X-plan PIN.

Last edited:

Joninrye

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I’ve had great communication from Ford since my May 19 reservation. Ordered the Lariat ER, got my production date and got my VIN #….all without anyone reminding me to stay adventurous.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Echoing the above, I've had a good volume and frequency of comms from my "Internet representative", even if it was information I already gathered from the website.

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Same here, Dealer and Ford have been pretty communicative about the reservation and now order process. Was even able to get an agreed to out the door sales price from the dealer prior to placing the order. Still awaiting a VIN and confirmed production week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like I have a Ford dealer/rep who is not on his game. I chose my local dealer, by most definitions you would consider it a "small town" dealer. Perhaps that was a mistake, and I should have gone further away to a big dealer. The Lightning is not my first choice, I just like having options available. Based on this communication and what I have read, I probably won't be converted to an official order in 2022. I'm just going to let it ride until I have to make a decision.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I reserved in the first 5 minutes of reservations opening. Never heard anything from Ford or any dealer. Cancelled my order about a month ago. Was never going with it anyway, but yea... their comms are dogshit.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Unfortunately with the legacy manufacturers it comes down to your dealership. My dealership was silent for almost an entire year until they called me out of the blue before wave 3 and told me I'd be able to order. Once I ordered they quickly accepted and then a couple months later they called me again to tell me I had a VIN assigned to me.

At least with Ford I know exactly when my truck will be built, and I have an idea of when it will get delivered to the dealership. My Rivian order is potentially July - September of this year, but who knows if that will be true or not. So I will give Ford bonus points for having a better order tracking system.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
My sister's Lightning is on the production schedule for the last week in May. She has had no communication issues.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My Lightning is scheduled for production 6/6 and I’ve heard nothing from my Ford dealership.

Sponsored

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
My Lightning is scheduled for production 6/6 and I’ve heard nothing from my Ford dealership.
Did you sign a purchase contract with the dealer?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lightning
Unfortunately with the legacy manufacturers it comes down to your dealership. My dealership was silent for almost an entire year until they called me out of the blue before wave 3 and told me I'd be able to order. Once I ordered they quickly accepted and then a couple months later they called me again to tell me I had a VIN assigned to me.

At least with Ford I know exactly when my truck will be built, and I have an idea of when it will get delivered to the dealership. My Rivian order is potentially July - September of this year, but who knows if that will be true or not. So I will give Ford bonus points for having a better order tracking system.

@Scoiatael if you don’t mind me asking what are your plans when the F150L gets delivered since you also have a R1T on track? I also have a vin for the lightning scheduled for build on 5/16 and a R1S scheduled for apr/may delivery.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
@Scoiatael if you don’t mind me asking what are your plans when the F150L gets delivered since you also have a R1T on track? I also have a vin for the lightning scheduled for build on 5/16 and a R1S scheduled for apr/may delivery.
If everything stays on track, Lightning should be delivered to my dealer in early June. My R1T is scheduled for July - September, and I'm betting its likely going to be closer to September or later. That will give me a few months with the Lightning to see how I like it. If there are any issues with the Lightning such as range being much less than promised or a terrible charging curve, I might just sell it when it comes time to get my R1T. Otherwise I'll likely keep the Lightning and just cancel my R1T order.

I'm also prepared for the possibility that my dealer adds crazy last minute ADM, at that point I'll just wait for the R1T to be delivered.

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lightning
If everything stays on track, Lightning should be delivered to my dealer in early June. My R1T is scheduled for July - September, and I'm betting its likely going to be closer to September or later. That will give me a few months with the Lightning to see how I like it. If there are any issues with the Lightning such as range being much less than promised or a terrible charging curve, I might just sell it when it comes time to get my R1T. Otherwise I'll likely keep the Lightning and just cancel my R1T order.

I'm also prepared for the possibility that my dealer adds crazy last minute ADM, at that point I'll just wait for the R1T to be delivered.

You’ll definitely like the interior roominess of the lightning. It is just like my Silverado crew cab, very roomy. I just test drove the R1T and it’s quite different in size length and width to the Lightning’s interior. It’s so nice to be able to own the lightning then decide to keep it or not and then get the R1T if you don’t like it.
Sponsored