Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Interesting take from CNBC on other charging networks offering NACS. I think this is the best solution.

”But the agreements don’t mean Tesla will win a monopoly on public charging in the U.S., even if all automakers eventually adopt the NACS standard.

The EV giant’s decision to make the NACS standard public means that rival charging network operators are also free to add chargers with NACS plugs – and they almost certainly will.

In fact, key players are already responding in the wake of the Ford and GM deals. Swiss electrical-equipment giant ABB, a leading maker of commercial EV chargers, said on Friday that it will soon offer NACS plugs as an option on its products. FreeWire Technologies, a California-based startup building fast chargers, announced similar plans after Ford’s deal with Tesla last month.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/09/tesla-ford-gm-ev-charging-partnerships.html

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Out of Spec says that the feds/states needs to pull the brakes on the NEVI funding and switch the rules so that only NACS chargers gets access to the funding:

And it sounds like he has heard from a lot of the people in the industry that appear to be planning to make the switch.
Who cares. @OutofSpecKyle has been whining about CCS for a year yet he uses it to travel all over the place. I still watch his videos and they are good but I click them off as soon as the whining begins.

I have been more than happy with the CCS network, it just needs to connect the corridors through MT and the Dakotas and it will be everything I need especially with some charging shifting over to the Tesla network.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
That would be an absolutely ridiculous reaction. It should not even be considered until the Tesla plug is out of Tesla’s control and in the hands of a truly independent body. Otherwise why not just write a huge gov’t check to Elon - he does love that.
You seem to confuse public policy with your personal gripe against Elon. For once it's nice to see the vastly superior product win.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Absolutely not going to happen. OEMs aren't interested in developing a charging network. VW only did it because they had a court order as punishment (and they've really screwed it up).
Um....Rivian. Isn't Rivian building a network? Wouldn't Rivian be in a position to take money from OEMs or wouldn't OEMS be in a position to work with existing CCS providers to build out their network?

Ford did exactly that with Ford Pass.

Get your facts straight.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You seem to confuse public policy with your personal gripe against Elon. For once it's nice to see the vastly superior product win.
Actually my post accurately describes the situation. If you can prove otherwise, have at it. I never commented on the quality of the product did I?

Tesla deciding to call their plug a “North American standard” does not change that fact that CURRENTLY only one company (run by the aforementioned Musk) controls and uses that Tesla plug. Since the NEVI bill was already passed with CCS as the standard (an actual standard not run by a single company used by a single brand), nothing should change until Tesla is not the controlling body. FWIW Musk publicly agreed to the terms of the NEVI bill at the time.

It’s a very simple test if you need help:
1. How many manufacturers currently use the Tesla plug? ANSWER: 1 (Tesla)
2. Who currently controls the Tesla plug and can make decisions about its use? ANSWER: Tesla
3. Still confused about this? ANSWER: See questions 1, 2 again.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

Whether it’s a true standard or not, they have released the specs for it and they have a ton of vehicles and chargers out there now using it successfully every day. The idea of a “standard” sounds good but at the end of the day comparing the two connectors, one is much better than the other AND has a way more extensive and reliable charging network using it.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I think everyone is getting excited about the Tesla Super Charging network and what you all aren't considering is that Tesla is already struggling to meet demand of their EXISTING network for Tesla vehicles.

Tesla is delivering 422,000 vehicles a quarter (last quarter). There are roughly 2.65M Teslas on the road all competing for about 17,000 chargers.

What do you think is going to happen if you flood those chargers with other brands?

There is too much worldwide momentum (double the number world wide of CCS vs NACS) for CCS. In the US there are plans to install tens of thousands of CCS chargers.

We need both networks, and we need compatibility across both to meet demand. There will never be a single standard.
its not really a problem for Tesla. they gonna get paid and get paid more for non-Teslas charging. as you point out its going to be an issue for consumers. and if im a Tesla customer, im not too happy about this (unless i also own stock). as long as there are adapters i, and i think most consumers, dont care what standard or network it is

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm super excited knowing CCS is dying and we will all be on one standard soon. It was never going to be a good idea to have multiple charge standards, and this day was coming one way or another. Rivian will get onboard within a couple months and we will get an adapter.

Tesla's standard won (yes, it did win) because SC network was built out by an EV company wanting to accelerate EV adoption. While Tesla didn't spend on marketing, they did spend on the SC network and that had the same result, growth in their customer base. By the time others got serious about EVs with CCS, Tesla was too far ahead. Charging is a massive barrier to EV adoption. GM, Ford, etc. were ICE companies, and ~5+ years ago, they didn't really care if EVs took off or not. CCS was doomed as it relied on 3rd party companies to invest massive amounts of money in infrastructure that was going to take a long time to ever (or for some locations never) be profitable. VW is the exception with EA, but they only got into the charging game because they had to due to a settlement with the government. With NACS being open now, it costs the other auto makers very little to make the switch. But big benefits for consumers, Tesla, and EV adoption in general.

Tesla played the long/smart game and won.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m not a lawyer and I suspect you aren’t either but I don’t see how Tesla could be forced to do business with Rivian. With the Cybertruck a year or so away (?) I doubt that Tesla wants to give Rivian access to their supercharger network. While they did so for Ford they would like nothing better than Rivian going under. That will never happen with Ford.
Ford poses a much bigger risk to Tesla than Rivian does.

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Whether the standard is open or proprietary is completely irrelevant to the consumer. I would rather charge my Rivian at Tesla SC during my trips, and have Rivian install RAN chargers in places that are hard to reach (Yellowstone, Death Valley, etc.). Right now, the RAN is duplicative. Having RANs in places off the beaten path would actually allow Rivian owners to really be adventurous. It would be better for Rivian to have less RANs but in places where they make a real difference.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
What are the details of the deals that Ford and GM signed? Will they dump a ton of money in to more Tesla Charging stations? I hope this is the case. The more the better.
Existing stages of trajectory have happened in the Tesla Supercharger build out.
Hopefully, in a couple years we will see a new line with an even sharper trajectory.

Supercharge.Info chart
Rivian R1T R1S GM adopts Tesla's NACS standard! Munro begs Rivian to switch Growth Screenshot of supercharge.info

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
I'm sure it's been mentioned but the port is in the wrong (right?) place on the Rivian so we'd need an extension to carry around unless we just wholesale fuck up all the charging stations by parking in the adjacent spot! given that, I'm all for it LOL

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm sure it's been mentioned but the port is in the wrong (right?) place on the Rivian so we'd need an extension to carry around unless we just wholesale fuck up all the charging stations by parking in the adjacent spot! given that, I'm all for it LOL
Hopefully Tesla sells an adapter with about 6 feet of cable. Rivian needs to move the port to front passenger at some point. Rear driver doesn’t make sense for towing.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Don't we have anti-trust laws in this country?

I bought a Rivian and an ID.4 because I DO NOT want to give my money to Musk.
Sponsored