First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
I'm sure it's been mentioned but the port is in the wrong (right?) place on the Rivian so we'd need an extension to carry around unless we just wholesale fuck up all the charging stations by parking in the adjacent spot! given that, I'm all for it LOL
Hopefully Tesla sells an adapter with about 6 feet of cable. Rivian needs to move the port to front passenger at some point. Rear driver doesn’t make sense for towing.
Rivian R1T R1S GM adopts Tesla's NACS standard! Munro begs Rivian to switch Rivian Screenshot of (507) One of the first Rivian R1T’s Charging at a Tesla Supercharger Equi
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

NACS can be done over CCS, so an electronics change to existing CCS vehicles and a Tesla adapter, and you've be good to go with the same physical port.
Is this fact checked...

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wait till Dodge signs on too... Tesla bros will be diving off the Golden Gate in droves o_O
So, now every Ford vehicle and every Chevy Bolt will be charging at a supercharger instead of the RAN???? No more crowds!!!!!!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is really exciting news! CCS is dead. You won't be missed.

But it has me questioning if I want to follow through with my Rivian purchase until Rivian makes the jump too.

The only reason I was willing to give up the Tesla charging network was a hope that CCS charging would be rapidly improving from the sad state that it is in now. After this announcement I doubt anyone is going to invest in improving or expanding the CCS charging networks.
U would really delay due to this?

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

Bad argument...Betamax was in many ways not as good as VHS and died for good reason. The small cassettes that were attractive also meant less record time. They lengthened record time by decreasing any quality advantage they had over VHS and then VHS won. Sadly, seems to be the case here...but again, the Tesla connector IS NOT a standard governed by an independent body.
Actually the reason VHS won was because the adult film industry decided to release movies on the less expensive VHS tapes.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

One question worth asking, since the federal government is incentivizing charging and handing out $$, should they join the conversation to get everyone on the same standard? That’s pretty much what happened in the EU.
Don't be ridiculous 🙄, we love drama

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just a question of time before the other manufacturers follow suit.

Hopefully that will include Rivian, such that when I get my R1S, maybe in late 2024, it already has the Tesla plug.
Silver lining....

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

How much public charging do drivers actually use? In my 10 years of Tesla ownership with unlimited Supercharging I think I still home charged for at least 95% of the charging
It will be adapters for all. That way Tesla can maximize the Government paybacks for charging infrastructure.
Just road tripping

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This is really exciting news! CCS is dead. You won't be missed.

But it has me questioning if I want to follow through with my Rivian purchase until Rivian makes the jump too.

The only reason I was willing to give up the Tesla charging network was a hope that CCS charging would be rapidly improving from the sad state that it is in now. After this announcement I doubt anyone is going to invest in improving or expanding the CCS charging networks.
I think a lot of others will be feeling the same. I am suddenly glad that we are delayed until 1Q 2024. We are almost convinced to go from being a two Tesla to a two Rivian household next year but the CCS thing has been the biggest thing discouraging us. Now that NACS is the clear standard, it is a matter of waiting for Rivian to confirm the switch and to announce the timeline and adapter strategy.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think a lot of others will be feeling the same. I am suddenly glad that we are delayed until 1Q 2024. We are almost convinced to go from being a two Tesla to a two Rivian household next year but the CCS thing has been the biggest thing discouraging us. Now that NACS is the clear standard, it is a matter of waiting for Rivian to confirm the switch and to announce the timeline and adapter strategy.
I’ll believe ccs is dead when EA or another charging company starts installing the Tesla plug.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I'm super excited knowing CCS is dying and we will all be on one standard soon. It was never going to be a good idea to have multiple charge standards, and this day was coming one way or another. Rivian will get onboard within a couple months and we will get an adapter.

Tesla's standard won (yes, it did win) because SC network was built out by an EV company wanting to accelerate EV adoption. While Tesla didn't spend on marketing, they did spend on the SC network and that had the same result, growth in their customer base. By the time others got serious about EVs with CCS, Tesla was too far ahead. Charging is a massive barrier to EV adoption. GM, Ford, etc. were ICE companies, and ~5+ years ago, they didn't really care if EVs took off or not. CCS was doomed as it relied on 3rd party companies to invest massive amounts of money in infrastructure that was going to take a long time to ever (or for some locations never) be profitable. VW is the exception with EA, but they only got into the charging game because they had to due to a settlement with the government. With NACS being open now, it costs the other auto makers very little to make the switch. But big benefits for consumers, Tesla, and EV adoption in general
Tesla played the long/smart game and won.
Um....There are nearly 80,000 CCS charging stations worldwide vs 45,000 Tesla Superchargers. CCS is not dying and it isn't going anywhere.

And guess what. The Tesla Superchargers in Europe all use a CCS cable. Because CCS is the worldwide standard.

"All V3 Superchargers in Europe feature single-cable CCS technology that is compatible with every Model 3, Model Y and Model S or Model X"

https://www.charin.global/technology/dashboard/

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Um....There are nearly 80,000 CCS charging stations worldwide vs 45,000 Tesla Superchargers. CCS is not dying and it isn't going anywhere.

And guess what. The Tesla Superchargers in Europe all use a CCS cable. Because CCS is the worldwide standard.

"All V3 Superchargers in Europe feature single-cable CCS technology that is compatible with every Model 3, Model Y and Model S or Model X"

https://www.charin.global/technology/dashboard/
Until my Rivian gets boat mode and I can float it across the Atlantic and use European CCS (which is a different plug) the worldwide metic doesn't really matter to me. But until then I’m only interested in the chargers that I can actually use. Right now thats CCS in North America, but hopefully that’s not the case soon (waiting for Rivian’s announcement). CCS in North America is dead.
Sponsored