Sponsored

GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!)

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

any underbody mount shots?
I'm sure this complicates Rivian servicing the vehicle but I plan on taking it down to my SC to get their opinion on whether or not they are willing to work around it. GOAT is going to supply slightly longer replacement bolts so the engagement remains the same.

Haven't done any tests for deflection yet but it's definitely going to happen before they start taking orders. They don't want to sell something they can't stand behind.

Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 1675366302736
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hmmm. With that mounting method, those look more like running boards than sliders to me.
The brackets are 1/4" plate, same thing they use on all of their other products. One of the issues trying to go in farther in the Rivian is that the seam on the frame rail is inconsistent, even on my truck. I'm also personally not sure I'd want anything to re-use bolts that are there to hold the battery in.

Hard to tell from the photo but it sticks down somewhere around 1 1/4" further than the battery protection does. Door has about 3/4" gap between the top plate and the bottom plastic trim on the door when it's open.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Those look great. Love the thick tubing and the simple hole pattern on the top plate.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
The plate thickness wouldn't be the weak point, it's the leverage at the bolt head. Unless the inboard tube is resting on the tub somehow, all the weight on it could rip out/shear the bolts or dent the tub. In other words, the 'slider' would be the strongest part, the body/bolts the weakest.

I had a very similar mounting 'slider' on my Jeep, but the entire length of it was resting along the tub.

Sponsored

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looking good! I will keep an eye on these.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The plate thickness wouldn't be the weak point, it's the leverage at the bolt head. Unless the inboard tube is resting on the tub somehow, all the weight on it could rip out/shear the bolts or dent the tub. In other words, the 'slider' would be the strongest part, the body/bolts the weakest.

I had a very similar mounting 'slider' on my Jeep, but the entire length of it was resting along the tub.
I don't really think you can compare the two systems like that. Rivian's frame is way different. The bolts that are being used are frame bolts that go through into the body to hold the body on. I will be thoroughly testing them to make sure other people won't have issues damaging their frames.

Last edited:

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
The 'sliders' I had bolted to the frame exactly the same way (from the frame bracket into the body).

The only reason I got rid of them was because I added a body lift which created a ~1 in gap between the 'slider' and the body, creating way too much flex/leverage at the bolt because it no longer rested along the body.

But again, so much weight leveraged like that at the bolt head could create problems if you were seriously using these as a slider. Find some titanium bolts and you'd be alright!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm sure this complicates Rivian servicing the vehicle but I plan on taking it down to my SC to get their opinion on whether or not they are willing to work around it. GOAT is going to supply slightly longer replacement bolts so the engagement remains the same.

Haven't done any tests for deflection yet but it's definitely going to happen before they start taking orders. They don't want to sell something they can't stand behind.

1675366302736.png

Dual hinge/Support design rocks. Exactly what I was looking for TBH.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Hmmm. With that mounting method, those look more like running boards than sliders to me.

Agreed, those mounts don't look nearly beefy enough. The other companies are using a lot more bolts and more surface area to the frame. And the gusseted mount points look like they'd just get hung up on rocks.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I don't really think you can compare the two systems like that. Rivian's frame is way different. The bolts that are being used are frame bolts that go through into the body to hold the body on. I will be thoroughly testing them to make sure other people won't have issues damaging their frames.
The bolts holding the sliders are not the issue, rather it's the force distributed on the area around the bolts adding leverage. The DCE sliders have much better protection since they use bolting plates with a much bigger area absorbing the force. I think even the RMAXX running boards have better mounting with their brackets making additional contact to the frame rail a few inches further from the bolts and opposite to the slider tubings, giving better leverage than these sliders.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The bolts holding the sliders are not the issue, rather it's the force distributed on the area around the bolts adding leverage. The DCE sliders have much better protection since they use bolting plates with a much bigger area absorbing the force. I think even the RMAXX running boards have better mounting with their brackets making additional contact to the frame rail a few inches further from the bolts and opposite to the slider tubings, giving better leverage than these sliders.
I'm not convinced any of the other designs I've seen will do any better reducing something getting bent from a rock impact at the bottom outside of the slider/step, but we'll see.

I appreciate the input.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My 3 year old is happy he can get into the truck on his own finally.
Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) PXL_20230202_223436476

Did some playing around in the snow after dinner and left some paint on a rock pivoting around it. Haven't looked too closely at the damage since it's nighttime now, but it felt pretty solid.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
My 3 year old is happy he can get into the truck on his own finally.
PXL_20230202_223436476.jpg

Did some playing around in the snow after dinner and left some paint on a rock pivoting around it. Haven't looked too closely at the damage since it's nighttime now, but it felt pretty solid.
Very cute!!! 😍
I'm going to wait a few years to take a picture with my grand-kid.
Sponsored