ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Hi All,

Unfortunately I got rear ended by a 4runner and looks like the tailgate and bumper is damaged. All sensors work and going thru their insurance since it was the other driver's fault. Question: They have Geico Insurance and from what they told me they will not report it to the DMV or the police. Since they don't report it to other companies outside Geico, do you know if this fender bender will be part of the car history(i.e. the carfax report). Want to get advice if I need to ask for depreciation cost if it gets reported. Any advice would be appreciated.
Rivian R1T R1S Got Rear ended and asking for insurance advice IMG_7368
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Damn, I’m sorry that happened!

Geico may not report it to CARFAX, but you should still check the body shop won’t report it either. Other than that you should be in the clear.

https://www.carfax.com/company/vhr-data-sources

OP
OP
ORFynder

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thank you! The bodyshop is recommended by Rivian and will ask. Have to remind myself its a 1st world problem
It is, but I would be thinking about the same thing. You have to look out for yourself!

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Take great before and after pictures and keep all records. Do not trust Geico as far as you can throw them…. You’ll take some hit, likely, but with great documentation it shouldn’t be that bad. This is a truck after all, not a high dollar car with diminished value evidence that you can point to (unfortunately).

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Geico is straight up garbage insurance. You will likely have to go through your insurance to get it repaired and then have them go after Geico…first letter in Geico stands for Government so you know it’s a sh** show.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Check your state and or county laws.... ..you may have to report any accident with over $xxxx dollar damage. In NY the value threshold for reporting is $1,000 with stiff penalties for non-reporting.

Rivian R1T R1S Got Rear ended and asking for insurance advice 1682471881055

Last edited:
OP
OP
ORFynder

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Geico is straight up garbage insurance. You will likely have to go through your insurance to get it repaired and then have them go after Geico…first letter in Geico stands for Government so you know it’s a sh** show.
Thanks for the reply. I was hesitant on going with my insurance as I didn't want my rates to go up. But wondering if they really will since it was not my fault since I was rear ended

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
You are better off going through your insurance, they will subrogate the expenses from Geico after the fact. At least that way you can get the repairs going without waiting for Geico to pay out.

We just had a rear end claim with a Geico policy holder in Jan, our Allstate insurance paid the body shop expenses and Allstate subrogated the $$$ from Geico (including my deductible) at a later date.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the reply. I was hesitant on going with my insurance as I didn't want my rates to go up. But wondering if they really will since it was not my fault since I was rear ended
100% you are not at fault and your rates will not go up, ours didn't.. go through your insurance co, you will be dealing with people you pay- they are on your side.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Absolutely ask for diminished value, they owe you so get what you are owed.

I had a similar fender bender in my Honda Ridgeline in Gresham a few years back and diminished value came it at like $2k for a Rivian I guess it will be more like $4-5k. Don't get screwed when you go to sell.

OP
OP
ORFynder

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Absolutely ask for diminished value, they owe you so get what you are owed.

I had a similar fender bender in my Honda Ridgeline in Gresham a few years back and diminished value came it at like $2k for a Rivian I guess it will be more like $4-5k. Don't get screwed when you go to sell.
Thanks, for diminished value. Did you work specifically with your insurance agent on that or with someone else?

thx

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks, for diminished value. Did you work specifically with your insurance agent on that or with someone else?

thx
In my case both me and the people who rear ended me had Progressive so I was just dealing with them.

So probably you have to insist Geico pays you, you have to pay to get the diminished value appraised by a OR certified appraiser. Have this and make a claim against Geico.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Was rear ended in December by someone, damaged was limited to bumper and a few trim pieces. Damage added up to ~$3500 with labor. Checked carfax just now, doesn't look like it was reported. Used other drivers insurance which was Geico (was a pain). They couldn't give an estimate. Tried to force me into their body shops. Gave me issues at all steps (dropped truck off late Thursday and Monday morning Geico was threatening to pull my rental because body shop hadn't submitted any information Monday morning).

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
IMO, not reporting to the police and contacting your insurance company immediately is asking for any number of things to "go wrong" and end up in monumental frustration due to delay at best.

You are not at fault. Let your insurance company do the job you pay them for.
Sponsored