First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC90 T8
Occupation
Real Estate
Hi, I now have been in 2-3 NE winter rain storms with my R1T. Due to what I am assuming is bad side mirror aerodynamics the mirrors get full of beaded condensation spots. In response I turn on the rear defogger to heat the back window and side mirrors to clear beading . . . . . but really does not work. So I would get out of the car to feel them and they are not getting hot or even warm.

Anybody else noticing this?
Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Side view mirrors don’t clear quick. It shouldn’t be hot. Just enough to warm off ice. Other cars usually warm enough to evaporate moisture but R1T takes a bit longer. It may get changed with OTA update.

OP
OP
Coj

Coj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC90 T8
Occupation
Real Estate
Side view mirrors don’t clear quick. It shouldn’t be hot. Just enough to warm off ice. Other cars usually warm enough to evaporate moisture but R1T takes a bit longer. It may get changed with OTA update.
Yea, I don't even feel warm in 40 degree temps, like air temp so lead me to believe it is not working.

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Mine have been so useless, I thought it didn't have heated mirrors. I keep a microfiber towel in the front seat for the screens and have just found myself taking the time to clean the mirrors before hitting the road. On a side note, it's pretty cool that everything in the truck is centrally controlled and therefore updatable over the air. This has been my first experience with a car that can do such a thing and it's awesome. Hopefully they can boost the power to the mirrors and fix the AC recirc while they're at it!

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I also have noticed that the mirrors' heating doesn't work effectively.

Can't test it now on my truck, since it is in service, but 2 days ago I saw one thing on the r1t loaner I have now.

The temperature outside was 25F and I drove inside my garage which is the heated garage. The temperature inside was 65F. Of course, the car got a lot of fog on its panels, windows, and mirrors as well. I was wondering how fast mirrors will be defrosted.

Turned on the rear window defrost which was supposed to activate the mirrors' defrost as well. 5 minutes later mirrors were still foggy, but the rear window was clear by that time. Then I turned on defrost (double-click on the windshield icon) and my mirrors got cleared in less than 30s.

I assume some algorithms are messed up.

But again, I will need to test it on my vehicle as well, not on the loaner.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Reviving this thread. It's been chilly in Canada the last few weeks, and what was nice with my xterra, is even in mild/winter temps, my heated mirrors would cast enough heat to evaporate water droplets off the side mirrors. Has anyone noticed the rivian's ability to do something similar? Asking in case they just aren't functioning correctly and need to get them looked at.

OP
OP
Coj

Coj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC90 T8
Occupation
Real Estate
The latest firmware update fixed my issue. Had them tested they get to +100 !

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

The latest firmware update fixed my issue. Had them tested they get to +100 !
Hmm... Maybe I'll see if there's an embedded setting or wait for the dash cam update to roll out and hopefully the reboot during installation resolves it on my vehicle.
Sponsored