First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Somehow seeing it in action made it 10x as funny to me. The clip is from a longer drone video of Texas Gigafactory. The comedy starts around the 13:43 mark but using the InsideEVs link should allow you to start right before.

https://insideevs.com/news/662314/tesla-cybertruck-wind-tunnel-testing-wiper-video/

I recommend not having any food or drink in your mouth when it starts moving. It’s too much for any normal human to take.

Sponsored

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Minor correction for those of you that are impatient like me and don't want to watch through a slow paced video with a garbage soundtrack.
From what I can tell, first viewing of the wiper is at 13:43 you have to actually open the video in YouTube for the link to start where @COdogman referenced (realized after scrubbing through)

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Minor correction for those of you that are impatient like me and don't want to watch through a slow paced video with a garbage soundtrack.
From what I can tell, first viewing of the wiper is at 13:43 you have to actually open the video in YouTube for the link to start where @COdogman referenced (realized after scrubbing through)
Thanks for catching that. I edited to include the InsideEVs link which should allow people to start at the right spot if they don’t want to go to YT.

Garbage is an understatement for that soundtrack :CWL:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow I think I would crash the thing based on what that looks like. Why does it need such a stupid wiper.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Wow I think I would crash the thing based on what that looks like. Why does it need such a stupid wiper.
I predict significant range loss for anyone who lives in a wet climate. That will pull some serious juice.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I predict significant range loss for anyone who lives in a wet climate. That will pull some serious juice.
Think it's big enough to act as an airfoil and toss the truck back and forth at highway speeds as it cycles?

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Think it's big enough to act as an airfoil and toss the truck back and forth at highway speeds as it cycles?
So you are imagining a tail wagging the dog situation? I had not considered that but I think it’s possible🤔

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You aint kidding!! Imagine if you don't clear the snow off the windshield first?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So you are imagining a tail wagging the dog situation? I had not considered that but I think it’s possible🤔
Could be what they're doing on the wind tunnel. Calibrating the rear wheel steering to counteract that force.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
That wiper is going to be a huge problem for Tesla.

As mentioned, the stress on that with any snow is going to be massive. And if it gets an ice build up, with 22" wipers you can lift and snap them down to break the ice. How's that going to work with that beast wiper arm? Is it one rubber edge the whole length? I sure as heck hope not - three standard shorter blades would be much easier for replacement.

And what the heck is this in the lower left of the video? A CyberPlanter???????
Rivian R1T R1S Heavy Machinery Comedy: Cybertruck Windshield Wiper In Action 1681476380880

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Could be what they're doing on the wind tunnel. Calibrating the rear wheel steering to counteract that force.
The real hero here is that Tesla employee with the spray bottle who is probably not paid nearly enough to stand that close to the wiper without safety gear.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That wiper is going to be a huge problem for Tesla.

As mentioned, the stress on that with any snow is going to be massive. And if it gets an ice build up, with 22" wipers you can lift and snap them down to break the ice. How's that going to work with that beast wiper arm? Is it one rubber edge the whole length? I sure as heck hope not - three standard shorter blades would be much easier for replacement.

And what the heck is this in the lower left of the video? A CyberPlanter???????
1681476380880.png
That’s probably the first CT prototype. It likely got stuck there in testing and they left it to decompose.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
Somehow seeing it in action made it 10x as funny to me. The clip is from a longer drone video of Texas Gigafactory. The comedy starts around the 13:43 mark but using the InsideEVs link should allow you to start right before.

https://insideevs.com/news/662314/tesla-cybertruck-wind-tunnel-testing-wiper-video/

I recommend not having any food or drink in your mouth when it starts moving. It’s too much for any normal human to take.

You would think they would have stopped the insanity and moved on from this design. Just like the falcon doors on MX, it doesn't make sense to do this.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You would think they would have stopped the insanity and moved on from this design. Just like the falcon doors on MX, it doesn't make sense to do this.
Agree 100%. It makes no sense but that has never stopped Musk from doing anything.

I look forward to the 4 hour long Sandy Munro windshield wiper special.
Sponsored