Sponsored

Hmm, just go this email: It’s time to order your F-150 Lightning™ truck.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Go Lightning if they'll let you wait for the missing chips
That is my plan. I prefer the Lightning to the R1T but not to the R1S.
Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
+1 for checking the dealer markup.

I also plunked down $100 to get on the F150L waiting list in Dec 2021. Still no "time to order" email but I did get an email last month from the dealer saying they had a couple of Lariat models available. Both had the smaller battery which is a no-go for me. However, in addition to Ford's MSRP increases the dealer was adding a $25k markup then offering a $15k "year end special" discount. Net result = $10k markup.

Makes me appreciate Rivian's willingness to honor pricing based on my pre-March config and the absence of dealer shenanigans.
How could we expect those poor dealers to take delivery off the trailer and then make a phone call to the customer for less than a $10,000 markup? How do they do it?!

The worst part is that Ford was “accepting orders” at MSRP but, unless the buyer was well-educated in the forums, the buyer wouldn’t know that the dealer could still charge anything it wanted because it wasn’t a binding contract. People waited a year or more for their cars, expecting to pay MSRP, and then being told there was a huge markup. You actually had to order through the dealer and get a signed purchase order to ensure a specific price. Sure, maybe a contract attorney would know that, but the online Ford ordering system made it seem like the online order was a purchase order - you had to pay a non-refundable deposit (although the dealer could refund if it wanted) and it gave you the price. It sucked reading story after story of dealers screwing people just because they could - Ford really couldn’t do anything. Not sure that Ford honestly cared much, but they have little control over dealers. I cancelled my F-150 order a year ago and they’ve lost a customer for life because of those shenanigans. I don’t care how much better the Lightning is (IMO both have pros and cons, it’s about the particular use case), but I’ll never give Ford another dollar.

OP
OP

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
+1 for checking the dealer markup.

I also plunked down $100 to get on the F150L waiting list in Dec 2021. Still no "time to order" email but I did get an email last month from the dealer saying they had a couple of Lariat models available. Both had the smaller battery which is a no-go for me. However, in addition to Ford's MSRP increases the dealer was adding a $25k markup then offering a $15k "year end special" discount. Net result = $10k markup.

Makes me appreciate Rivian's willingness to honor pricing based on my pre-March config and the absence of dealer shenanigans.
Wow! I suppose that is legal but doesn't seem honest. Frankly this whole lightning thing has left me very sour on Ford. It would have been my 7th Ford product (including a tractor before they sold that division off to New Holland). I found out after the fact that I was the profile that they would not sell lightings too in the first year or two because I was already a loyal ford customer and they wanted to use the lighting to bring new customers to ford. Strike 2 is doing the bait and switch: Start with it listed at $39K and make a huge deal about that and then raised the price to $55K for the same truck before they actually ship it. Add on dealer ripoffs and that becomes strike 3. I think I'm done with ford.
ps. to the one who asked: Yes I really am in Montana on what I call a "farm": 200 acres, 12 cows, 8 chickens and lots and lots of deer and elk. Also, I did have the rivian home charger installed so I am ready to go. All I need is an R1S.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Buy both. Get really good insurance on them, and have a demolition derby.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I would tell Ford to kick rocks over the ADMs their dealers pulled. The fact that these dealers were straight up scalping unsuspecting people means I wouldn't do business with Ford. 25K dollar "dealer adjustments" should be criminal. Same reason I won't ever buy a Mercedes from the local dealer here. They had an ADM and refused to drop it which is why my other vehicle is an Audi not a Merc.

I strongly suggest to anyone who will listen to refuse any ADM. I'm willing to bet Ford raised the price on the lightning because of the ADMs. So now Ford is scalping people instead of their dealers. Crooks.
Sponsored