LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

It only took me 3 months to get my registration handled, SMH..... My temporary runs out Wednesday. I don't have the physical paperwork, but I see it's in my DMV profile. Interestingly, they gave me new tags on a plate transfer. That's not normal here, or at least it hasn't been before.
Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Well I finally got my registration to show up on my DMV profile and my temporary expired today, so I put the plates on. I used the mounts and the Rivian plate mount and I get a front sensor blocked message continually. I tried shifting it as far either way as I could and the result was the same. I'll have to make a sheet metal mount to minimize the profile like the OG here.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Well I finally got my registration to show up on my DMV profile and my temporary expired today, so I put the plates on. I used the mounts and the Rivian plate mount and I get a front sensor blocked message continually. I tried shifting it as far either way as I could and the result was the same. I'll have to make a sheet metal mount to minimize the profile like the OG here.
Strange. Did you place the Rivian plate mount upside down?

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
I did, so the tabs slid into the slots. It's ok, after having it on there, it just looks a little too clunky for me.
this is how mine is mounted…

Rivian R1T R1S Homemade front license plate mount for tow hook ABFF2E1B-E46F-4170-998D-650CA618D396

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

@godfodder0901 taking inspiration from you I'm using those same mounts, but along with the Rivian provided mounting plate. Turn it up side down and it slots right onto the mount. Works really well. I put a bolt through to be extra secure, but you could use it as a clip-on without.

IMG_3842.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

IMG_3846.jpeg

IMG_3847.jpeg

IMG_3848.jpeg
I just used this method to mount my plate.

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
This is awesome solution. Does your Rivian provided mounting plate come with screws? Mine doesn't, and I'm wonder what's size of screw. To put the bolt for securing the plate, do you need to cut through the plastic bracket in the back of the mounting plate?

@godfodder0901 taking inspiration from you I'm using those same mounts, but along with the Rivian provided mounting plate. Turn it up side down and it slots right onto the mount. Works really well. I put a bolt through to be extra secure, but you could use it as a clip-on without.

IMG_3842.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

IMG_3846.jpeg

IMG_3847.jpeg

IMG_3848.jpeg

zonehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
200 Series Land Cruiser, R1T Adventure FG (Sold)
Also copied the approach from @boardthatpowder, bolted it through the stock mount as well for extra peace of mind, and drilled holes on either side for use. I preferred to move it to the driver side as the passenger side had a threaded hole behind the tow hook for a tow eye if ever needed.

Rivian R1T R1S Homemade front license plate mount for tow hook 1669146903003

Rivian R1T R1S Homemade front license plate mount for tow hook 1669146929274
Rivian R1T R1S Homemade front license plate mount for tow hook 1669147262606

Last edited:

RobR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I know this isn't a largely beneficial post given that the SnapPlate is available, but here is my homemade front plate mount.

20220409_201439.jpg
20220409_201433.jpg

I used these brackets:

Motorcycle Mounting Bracket 2Pcs...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0824JR9PX/
Looks good!

Sponsored

JP5280R1T

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

IMG_3842.jpeg
How did you bolt it on as well? I'm worried about weakening that plastic strip by drilling through it. Thanks in advance!

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
These are good solutions for the Rivian.

Be careful with the screw-in types that go into a tow hook on other cars because if you have one and go to the eye dr and come out, it may be missing as some tweeps took the entire front plate. Then you get to deal with the DMV and a lost license place.

...don't ask me how I know this. :swear:

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Thoughts on a vinyl plate? Probably illegal but may stop your from getting pulled over for it. I didn't put a front plate on my last car and got pulled over twice in a week in different areas but different law enforcement departments.

https://customlicenseplates.us/

ForestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Y, Rivian R1T
nope, it’s one of the brackets that @godfodder0901 originally found on Amazon:Motorcycle Mounting Bracket 2Pcs 0.75" 1" 1.25" Horizontal Bull Bar Mounting Bracket Driving Fog Lights Work Auxiliary Lights Universal Clamp Bracket Fit for Car Motorcycle Crash Bar Guard https://a.co/d/0KmJZMB

Thanks for this great tip! I totally copied your method and it works perfectly on my new R1T

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
We all need to find alternative to hang the license plate to the front bumper. I did got it installed at service center when I took delivery in November 2022. I had no issues till I install the latest software update I guess 2023.6.2, the license plate will block your front camera view with this update. Snap it will also block your front camera view. Don't waste money on that either.
Sponsored