Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

I've been fortunate to be driving the R1T for about a week now and the only thing I truly wish was different is the horn. It sounds like a golf cart horn, IMO.

Does anyone know if there is a standard wired horn assembly in the R1T? Or is there a "horn-like" sound created from some software module?

I'd love to be able to replace the horn with a simple upgraded plug-and-play assembly with a deeper note if there is one to be replaced?

Thanks!
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Assuming it’s a regular horn, you want a Marco tornado.

OP
OP
a76marine

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Assuming it’s a regular horn, you want a Marco tornado.
Not really looking for an air horn, that one is interesting though since it's all-in-one.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Assuming it's just a standard horn, I'm a big fan of the Hella Sharptone horns. I painted the surrounds on mine black, but they work quite well and the frequencies selected are very noticeable. There's also the Hella Supertone, but I like the Sharptone better now having had both.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I want a visual indicator for when the horn is sounding on the driver dash as well. You will not hear it if you had anything playing on the sound system.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
All of this horn talk is interesting. I do not think I have used a horn more than 3 times this century, it would literally be the last thing on my list of things to even look at on a vehicle.

Not even sure I have ever heard the horn on my Tesla and I have had that car 6 years.

OP
OP
a76marine

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

All of this horn talk is interesting. I do not think I have used a horn more than 3 times this century, it would literally be the last thing on my list of things to even look at on a vehicle.

Not even sure I have ever heard the horn on my Tesla and I have had that car 6 years.
You're obviously nowhere near Chicago. ;)

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I want a visual indicator for when the horn is sounding on the driver dash as well. You will not hear it if you had anything playing on the sound system.
Why do you need a visual indicator for the horn? Don’t you know when you’re pushing on the center of the steering wheel? I’m really not trying to be snarky, don’t understand why a visual indicator is needed. What other cars have one?

OP
OP
a76marine

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Why do you need a visual indicator for the horn? Don’t you know when you’re pushing on the center of the steering wheel? I’m really not trying to be snarky, don’t understand why a visual indicator is needed. What other cars have one?
I think it's less about wanting what other vehicles have and more about the fact that the Rivian models are built so sound-tight that you can be pushing the horn and not hear it. Sometimes I have to roll my window down to hear it.

It's nice to be able to see when the brakes are lighting up as I am slowing down in 1-pedal driving, it's not needed, but it's nice to have.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
So there is no physical feedback that I have noticed when you press the steering wheel horn "switch", and I have repeatedly hit the horn and not known, without muting my music if there is a horn noise coming from my vehicle. I've never had another vehicle where I couldn't hear the horn with minimal cabin background noise playing.

I think it's less about wanting what other vehicles have and more about the fact that the Rivian models are built so sound-tight that you can be pushing the horn and not hear it. Sometimes I have to roll my window down to hear it.
Precisely my reasoning.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sounds like something is wrong with your horn because I can hear mine.

OP
OP
a76marine

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Sounds like something is wrong with your horn because I can hear mine.
I mean, this is a possibility as well. Maybe I don't need an upgrade, but rather a repair.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not really looking for an air horn, that one is interesting though since it's all-in-one.
What, you don’t want a horn that sounds like this: 🤌🤌🤌

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6

Same - LOL! Not much horn blowing in this part of the world.

John B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
I agree with the original poster. I was driving my new R1T last night on a 4 lane section of local road (2 each way). I was in the fast lane approaching a car up ahead in in the slow lane from behind from behind when they started drifting into my lane as the road curved. I hit the horn and had to take evasive action and use some of the oncoming lane to avoid impact. I was shocked at how ineffective the horn was. I’m not sure if the other car even heard it. I love everything else about the Rivian, but this is frankly a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Fenders are going to get bent, and somebody could get hurt.
Sponsored