Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

TL;DR:
Rivian highway range 315-320 (2.48 mi/kWh)
F-150 highway range 250-255 (2.1 m/kWh)

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Would've been more helpful if the test had been run with the longest distance Lightning. It's pretty well known that the Platinum, even with the Extended Range battery, has less range than the Lariat trim.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Would've been more helpful if the test had been run with the longest distance Lightning. It's pretty well known that the Platinum, even with the Extended Range battery, has less range than the Lariat trim.
The longest distance Lightning is rated the same as the Rivian max pack. The most fair test is standard vs standard and max vs max. The Platinum interior is also a more fair comparison to the R1T interior.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
The longest distance Lightning is rated the same as the Rivian max pack. The most fair test is standard vs standard and max vs max. The Platinum interior is also a more fair comparison to the R1T interior.
That's incorrect. The Lightning has only two battery options, Standard Range and Extended Range. SR is rated for around 250 miles, while ER (tested here) is rated for around 300. However, the ER Platinum has a slightly lower range than the ER Lariat and XLT due to more options / heavier weight.

The R1T Max Pack (a) does not exist and (b) is supposed to hit 400 miles of range. If / when it begins production, it'll blow all of Ford's offerings away as far as range goes.

The video here states a few times that it's a test of the longest range EV pickups available right now. That'd be the ER Lariat/XLT and R1T. If you're cross-shopping EV trucks with range as a primary consideration, you need to know the comparison between those two.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That's incorrect. The Lightning has only two battery options, Standard Range and Extended Range. SR is rated for around 250 miles, while ER (tested here) is rated for around 300. However, the ER Platinum has a slightly lower range than the ER Lariat and XLT due to more options / heavier weight.

The R1T Max Pack (a) does not exist and (b) is supposed to hit 400 miles of range. If / when it begins production, it'll blow all of Ford's offerings away as far as range goes.

The video here states a few times that it's a test of the longest range EV pickups available right now. That'd be the ER Lariat/XLT and R1T. If you're cross-shopping EV trucks with range as a primary consideration, you need to know the comparison between those two.
My mistake. For some reason I’ve been thinking Ford’s ER was 400 miles. Thanks for the clarification!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
My SR is 230. The 2023 was updated to 240. I like my lightning but we have to be fair with the data. I would do the same with the Rivian if we were testing it on 20” ATs for example.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
He did correct himself as the Platinum is rated at only 300 miles

Every time I watch one of these videos and see the door locks NOT WORK just pisses me off, like this has been a solved problem for decades, most cars these days can just unlock with a sensor in the handle and it works *perfectly*, why are we taking a step backwards from something we haven't had to think about for years?

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
The big disparity in efficiency could be due to driving styles and the R1T has a longer rated EPA range than the Platinum F150. His previous video about cargo space was a bit biased toward the R1T as well, so I think he might be playing favorites as this is the lowest reported efficiency for the F150 among reviewers.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

The big disparity in efficiency could be due to driving styles and the R1T has a longer rated EPA range than the Platinum F150. His previous video about cargo space was a bit biased toward the R1T as well, so I think he might be playing favorites as this is the lowest reported efficiency for the F150 among reviewers.
Looked like R1T was following the F150 - so driving styles should have been pretty much the same if that was the case.

What are f150 owners reporting forc real world range? I have seen several folks here say they are betting the epa ranges handily.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Unless you put these things in controlled environments with controlled testing procedures, you are always going to get some variability.

You cannot compare across reviewers who are posting different efficiency ratings. The temperature, cabin temperature settings, elevation, traffic, wind, wind direction, speed, driving style, etc. are all going to vary.

That is what the EPA testing is for - to be able to compare apples to apples - because they are controlling all of these things to a higher degree than Joe reviewer - even though I like Alex and he generally does a good job of being transparent and unbiased.

My takeaway from this video is that the R1T is a more efficient truck and the design differences between the R1T and Lightning lend themselves to that conclusion as well.

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Unless you put these things in controlled environments with controlled testing procedures, you are always going to get some variability.

You cannot compare across reviewers who are posting different efficiency ratings. The temperature, cabin temperature settings, elevation, traffic, wind, wind direction, speed, driving style, etc. are all going to vary.

That is what the EPA testing is for - to be able to compare apples to apples - because they are controlling all of these things to a higher degree than Joe reviewer - even though I like Alex and he generally does a good job of being transparent and unbiased.

My takeaway from this video is that the R1T is a more efficient truck and the design differences between the R1T and Lightning lend themselves to that conclusion as well.
Right, and my point is that the EPA has them at roughly equal range rating with very similar battery sizes, so they aren’t significantly different and this video leads people like yourself to believe the R1T is significantly more efficient.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Right, and my point is that the EPA has them at roughly equal range rating with very similar battery sizes, so they aren’t significantly different and this video leads people like yourself to believe the R1T is significantly more efficient.
The EPA rating for highway miles only shows the R1T with ~10 more miles of range than the Lightning because of the way the R1T is designed for aero vs. the Lightning.

My understanding was this was a highway test. The R1T beat the Lightning. Therefore it is more efficient on the highway as the EPA rating also suggests.

What am I missing?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I believe the EPA uses a dynamometer and simulates a mix of city and highway conditions.

this video records a real world test and the key is that it was done at highway speeds only (as advertised) where the drag impact dominates.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
The EPA test cycle is very specific, and many manufacturers design their vehicles specifically for that test cycle to achieve maximum official numbers. Real world numbers are often vastly different with some vehicles over-performing and others under-performing. I don't much care what the EPA says, I want real-world accounts for anything I'm going to purchase. Fuelly.com has been pretty good for me for ICE vehicles in the past, but that clearly doesn't work for EVs, so I'm left with tests like the one in the OP. In good conditions, the R1T seems to be at least as good as advertised though, so no complaints on my end.
Sponsored