Sponsored

How many miles to expect on the odometer for a new delivery?

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
I think (not saying I’m 100% correct) that selling of a vehicle as “new” is tied in part to whether the car has been registered/titled and each state may have rules regarding mileage limits for new vehicles.

A vehicle with 500 miles on it may technically still be “new” if it’s never been sold. Your negotiation would be in a discount for that mileage. Anyone could validly argue 500 miles is excessive for a “new” car that wasn’t a demonstration vehicle.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
My purchase agreement says 100 miles, I suppose that's the target. Actual mileage was < 20.
The only thing one should expect is that their Rivian will be delivered with less than 100 miles.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Ours had 23 at delivery, including the 5 miles to drive it to my house. 18,5xx VIN
I wish they’d driven it more since the first time I put my foot on the brake the “DC Charging error” message came up and it went back to SC for another 9 days…

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
My purchase agreement says 100 miles, I suppose that's the target. Actual mileage was < 20.
Not so much a target as a safe upper limit that won't require revising the purchase agreement should any pre delivery issues be discovered that require repairs and test drives. It also allows some miles to be driven to reach the delivery address.

Sponsored

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I had around 70 at delivery as it was a home delivery so it was driven to my location. I’m about 30 miles from service center

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Couldn't be sold as new then.
This is false There is no mileage limit on what constitutes a new car.

say a dealership owner takes a car as a demonstator,clever registers it and runs it on dealer plates. That car is technically new.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is false There is no mileage limit on what constitutes a new car.

say a dealership owner takes a car as a demonstator,clever registers it and runs it on dealer plates. That car is technically new.
Ugh. Yeah but who would accept that as new.

Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Ugh. Yeah but who would accept that as new.
With excessive ( > 100 mi ) mileage, most places will offer you a mileage discount. Tesla did it for me when they drove a car from one store in the state to one closer to me. So long as it's new, you'll get full warranty and most states will require that the seller disclose any damages that the vehicle encountered exceeding a certain percentage of the price.

Consider it a break-in cycle thrown in for good measure, I guess.

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
So did your purchase agreement say 100 miles?
Yes the purchase agreement has 100 miles but based on the actual miles of my truck as well as everyone else’s replies to this thread it seems this is just a standard catch all number they put on there.

TonyR1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E550, Bold, R1S
Just pick up my R1S, all the paperwork including DMV stated 100 mile but odometer show 16 mile

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
Just pick up my R1S, all the paperwork including DMV stated 100 mile but odometer show 16 mile
Congrats! I picked up my R1T on Sunday. Just over 30 miles as my guide said. It’s been terrific so far and I couldn’t be happier. Absolutely love the truck.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

my R1T had 15 miles
Sponsored